Purolator PL10241 Cut Open - 3 Tears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I cut the el-cheapo Quaker State (Puro Classic) equivalent of that same filter open earlier this weekend, and it was nothing but perfect.

Odd. Looks like to me, that the metal bar that they're using to crimp the media is a lot of the problem...

Here.

There have been some Purolators with the glued seam that have also had media tears. Not as prevalent, but it has been happening.

True. I did say "a lot", and not "all"...

It's the "perfect storm" of media tearing, where there are many factors all adding up in the wrong direction.

Have there been any reports of Purolator Synthetic filters tearing? I just bought 2 at KMart ...

It seems the Classic and the PureOne are the most prone to tearing.

Originally Posted By: mannyhs
Have there been any reports of Purolator Synthetic filters tearing? I just bought 2 at KMart ...

It seems the Classic and the PureOne are the most prone to tearing.

I haven't seen any tears in the synthetic filters, so I'll continue using those without hesitation. I'll be changing my Classic filter very soon, though, and will not be using those anymore.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I cut the el-cheapo Quaker State (Puro Classic) equivalent of that same filter open earlier this weekend, and it was nothing but perfect.

Odd. Looks like to me, that the metal bar that they're using to crimp the media is a lot of the problem...

Here.

There have been some Purolators with the glued seam that have also had media tears. Not as prevalent, but it has been happening.

Wide gaps in pleat spacing is the problem. It compromises the lateral strength of the media by creating a larger footprint where the media is glued setting up the environment for the possibility of tearing.

A couple more pleats at the seam would solve this.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
One would think that Ford would find another filter manufacturer before their product would become jeopardized.

People are acting like this is a major catastrophe that is sweeping the entire automotive industry.

No one even knows about this problem besides us and hopefully a few people at Purolator.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
One would think that Ford would find another filter manufacturer before their product would become jeopardized.

People are acting like this is a major catastrophe that is sweeping the entire automotive industry.

No one even knows about this problem besides us and hopefully a few people at Purolator.

All it takes is one oil filter with torn filter media to cause a major engine break down and said filter company is done. I would say that this is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

All it takes is one oil filter with torn filter media to cause a major engine break down and said filter company is done. I would say that this is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

That's not how it works. A torn oil filter will not "take down" a company.

Even in a WORST case scenario, that's what public relations / crisis management firms are for.

The Tylenol-Tampering Crisis – 1982 & 1986
The Exxon-Valdez-Oil Spill Crisis — 1989
The Bridgestone/Firestone & Ford-Tire Crisis – 1990s
The McDonald’s-Hot Coffee Crisis – 1992
The Pepsi-Syringe Crisis - 1993
The BP-Gulf Oil Spill — 2010

A quick internet search reminds me of these incidents. Including billions of dollars of damage and even deaths.

You think because John Doe blew an engine in his Ford Tempo with a Purolator, that will destroy an international company?

That's not how it works. A torn oil filter will not "take down" a company.

Even in a WORST case scenario, that's what public relations / crisis management firms are for.

A quick internet search reminds me of these incidents. Including billions of dollars of damage and even deaths.

You think because John Doe blew an engine in his Ford Tempo with a Purolator, that will destroy an international company?

If "JOHN DOE" loses an engine from an oil filters torn media, and it was proven, it WILL take down said oil filter company. The consumer will not want to buy said defective oil filter/filters and the filter companies profits will plummet like a rock. From then on it will be like an "ALBATROSS" hanging from their neck.
We are already seeing members here jumping ship like the P1 were the TITANIC of oil filters.
35.gif

You forgot Jack in the Box ecoli deaths and the thumb in the Wendy's chili.
shocked.gif

You forgot Jack in the Box ecoli deaths and the thumb in the Wendy's chili.
shocked.gif

Z06, that's some darn good chili, thumbs and all!
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back