Anyone looking to get the new 2015 GTI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen one on the road yet, but it definitely looks pretty nice IMO. The extra power in this new generation is a nice welcome as well. Reviews have been very positive, even though it seems most car mags are a little biased towards VW/Audi.

Anyway, if anyone gets one please post some pics and impressions!

I was thinking about buying one used in the next 2 years or so. Very impressive numbers especially once tuned with an APR Stage 1 for $700. Power goes to almost 300hp and 367 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels!

I would love one, but the GTI I have is only barely broken in. If I were so inclined, closing the performance gap between the new one and mine wouldn't cost too much.

If you do check for strut pucks
wink.gif

The thought has crossed my mind, I'd much rather have a GTD, seems I'm out of luck for the short term at least...

GTD 4dr would be neat.

But the wife already has a rabbit 4dr and we need more space for child seats.

I appreciate the GTI's dynamics and available 6MT. I'm just finding it virtually impossible to get excited about a front wheel drive car these days. Turbocharging is another big turn-off for me.

If I had to get a car in this price range, I'd go used. MT, RWD with LSD, and natural aspiration are musts.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I appreciate the GTI's dynamics and available 6MT. I'm just finding it virtually impossible to get excited about a front wheel drive car these days. Turbocharging is another big turn-off for me.

If I had to get a car in this price range, I'd go used. MT, RWD with LSD, and natural aspiration are musts.

I completely agree, even at a power deficit, it's what makes the BRZ/FR-S so appealing.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Obviously we are in HUGE agreement on this simple requirement list.

I remember when I was car shopping in 2005. It was very important and I knew a lot about what I did NOT want. Just as important as what you do want...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I remember when I was car shopping in 2005. It was very important and I knew a lot about what I did NOT want. Just as important as what you do want...

Yeah, but you clearly have a drastically different preference for how your cars drive and handle. You've admitted it openly, this car (and thread) is not for you.

I can appreciate how your biases might cause you to not enjoy a car like the GTI, no matter how good it might be. If it doesn't have the basic characteristics you're looking for, then it doesn't matter if it's the best car ever.

But it is a great car, and it deserves all the praise it has received in the press. The same can be said for other turbo FWD sport-compacts, like Mazdaspeeds and Ford's ST line.

I will chime in on this. To answer your question on your topic. No.

I just bought a 13 GTI 18 months ago. My car is still new. My Daughter loves my GTI and I will give mine to here when she gets her license and I will look for another car. I am interested as well in the GTD with the DSG.

This being my 1st VW and coming from owning 4 Lancer Evo's since 2003, I have found a great respect for the GTI. I have found that though it has some quirks like most cars have. The car handles very well, is very well built and is very very practical. The DSG tranny is a jewel and really owning a 6spd version makes no sense if you look at things as I do from the performance prospective. The whole, "Driving experience is lost without a standard tranny hype" is complete B S.

I would never buy a 1st year car of ANY make. Wait a year or 2 first to get the little bugs fixed then pick one up. Seems first year cars always have little bugs.

When my GTI is paid off in 3 1/2 yrs I will hand the keys over to my daughter and go from there. All I can say is thus far I find the GTI a very fun car to drive, and I have Driven ALLOT of fun cars over the yrs. The GTI is definitely in my top 3 favorite cars I have driven.

Jeff

Last edited:
I was planning on it but then they announced the 2015 Focus ST updates. New bodywork, new interior materials/stack design, new steering, new suspension, etc. If they applied what they learned with the Fiesta ST, it should be a blast to drive. I'll hold off until I can see it in person.

Maybe I'm nuts but the 2015 Focus with the 3 cylinder turbo sounds interesting. 3-time international engine of the year.

I did go sit in a new GTI and it might as well be a luxury car. The interior is excellent quality. The Mazda 3 interior quality was impressive too. Hopefully the updated Focus will close the gap.

Last edited:
But it is a great car, and it deserves all the praise it has received in the press. The same can be said for other turbo FWD sport-compacts, like Mazdaspeeds and Ford's ST line.

Very well said.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
The whole, "Driving experience is lost without a standard tranny hype" is complete B S.

Obviously that's very subjective. To me, after having driven a GTI with DSG, I would never buy it. For me, driving experience is lost without a standard tranny. Auto doesn't necessarily make it a bad car, but it makes it not as good of a car. Again, for me. Everyone needs to make up their own mind on this.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Yeah, but you clearly have a drastically different preference for how your cars drive and handle. You've admitted it openly, this car (and thread) is not for you.

I can appreciate how your biases might cause you to not enjoy a car like the GTI, no matter how good it might be. If it doesn't have the basic characteristics you're looking for, then it doesn't matter if it's the best car ever.

yessir, not knocking the car at all...

Like I said QP looking at the DSG from a Performance perspective like I do, the DSG is a NO BRAINER. Its quicker to 0-60, quicker in the 1/4 mile, quicker to 100mph, gets better MPG's and on the track its not bad in SPORT mode, and It holds gears in Manual Mode.

I drove standards for 25 yrs, and I will take the DSG over the 6 spd ANYDAY!!

Enjoy looking at my tail lights if you buy the 6spd haha and Enjoy your 6spd "driving" experience as you lose every performance category haha

Jeff

Last edited:
My dislike of automatic transmissions is mostly due to their excessive use of the torque converter. Obviously a DSG does not have this problem. And even the more conventional automatic from Mazda mitigates this problem, despite having a torque converter.

But a manual transmission does involve the driver more. Those who prefer them to a DSG enjoy the involvement. I have no doubt that a well designed and programmed DSG will outperform almost any driver with a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back