Sprocket help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having to replace the chain and sprockets and need your recommendations for sprockets.
I would like at least the quality of OEM.

Thank you gentlemen

Smoky

2005 Zuki bandit 1200

Just replaced my OEM chains and sprockets at 47k km with JT steel sprockets and DID VX chains on my FA. Best bet is either JT or Sunstar steel sprockets.

+1 Used the DID VX with Sunstar and and RK with JT (they came in the kit from Hein Gericke that way) on the 1100XX many times with no problems.

Not the same bike, but I've used a JT front sprocket on a Vulcan 500. I actually did not like it. The JT one did not include rubber dampers like the OE sprocket did, and as a result, there was more noticeable vibration felt through the footpegs, and more noisy chain operation in general.

Sunstar for the sprocket. Was most likely your OEM supplier. I know on my last two bikes they have been. I would get a DID x ring chain to go with it.

Sunstar is well known with a good rep. I've used Renthal and JT, all good. The OEM Suzuki sprocket has the rubber damper, but the V-Strom riders I've contacted don't find any difference with or without the damper.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
The OEM Suzuki sprocket has the rubber damper, but the V-Strom riders I've contacted don't find any difference with or without the damper.

+1
Rubber damper is the reason why I recommend and only use OEM sprockets for my RC30/RC45
customers... I've noticed the cushion produces less noise and less wear... you see due to
their racing intent both RC30 and RC45 sport no cush drives which may play a part...

As mentioned OEM would be the only option for a front sprocket with the rubber damper. In my experience, the wear rate doesn't seem to be noticeably different between an OEM front sprocket, and a quality Sunstar, AFAM, etc. front sprocket. The main difference is noise. I've never found the moderate increase in noise objectionable. You could even pretend the noise is gear-driven cams, like our friend with the RC-45 has.

On my own streetbike, my last set of chain and sprockets were JT sprockets, and an EK 530ZZZ chain.

I'm currently running Sunstar sprockets, and a DID 530ZVM-X chain.

This is on a bored and stroked all-motor 'Busa, making about 50% more power than stock, that has been lightened about 50 lbs, and had the suspension and brakes upgraded so it stops and handles like a now only slightly heavier GSX-R.

The current chain and sprockets, seem to be the best combination yet for durability. For chain lube I like the Pro Honda chain lube with Moly, in the red/white spray can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE

This is on a bored and stroked all-motor 'Busa, making about 50% more power than stock, that has been lightened about 50 lbs, and had the suspension and brakes upgraded so it stops and handles like a now only slightly heavier GSX-R.

over 240hp?
ZOWZA!!!!!!!!
and down to 530ish pounds
what pilots license do you have?
grin.gif

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh

over 240hp?
ZOWZA!!!!!!!!
and down to 530ish pounds
what pilots license do you have?
grin.gif

steve

Yes, depending on pump gas or race gas. A little under on pump gas, a little over on race gas. It's a 1st gen, so it started out around 550 lbs wet. The exhaust system on the 2nd gen ('08 and newer) 'Busa's added about 30 extra lbs.

It's a fun street and occasional roadracing track bike, but really it's tame compared to some of the LSR TurboBusa's I've worked on over the years. They have all been capable of over 600 rwhp. Of course they had big turbo's and noticeable lag. Great for Landspeed Racing, but an annoyance for track or spirited deserted road riding.

Anyway, my only point in mentioning the bike, is to give some idea of the conditions the chain and sprockets are subjected to.

You could even pretend the noise is gear-driven cams, like our friend with the RC-45 has.

I'll hold that thought but RC45 is just part of the VIN and thus no dash... I bring this up for search engine purposes...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm still in limbo over the chain; I sent it back to DID and they are either going to replace it or tell me to pound sand. So I'm without my bike for a couple weeks pending their decision. I can't understand the reluctance to live up to the warrantee, but that seems to be the way so many companies operate these days. Glad it is suppose to rain for the next week.

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back