Girlfriend buying 2015 Subaru Forrester, 6-manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but you save on tire rotations, since it's not needed. Mine wear evenly front vs rear. Due to not only the 50/50 torque split of the manual transmission models with the viscous center differential but also a f/r weight distribution that is pretty even, too.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
See if the Kartboy shifter fits the newest Forester:

http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16174&cat=251&bestseller=Y

It's the real deal. It will feel like it should. Nice crisp shifts.

If you never owned a Full time AWD vehicle, be aware tire life sucks. I've never gotten more than 40k from a set on either of my current Subaru cars. Stock or UHP A/S. Touring tires might hold up better.

The good news is with good A/S tires, Subaru AWD will get you through most any conditions a sane person would attempt in winter.

I vote get the winter package.

How was the 6spd in the WRX?

The AWD system is technically better with the CVT. It's 60/40 with the MPC and 50/50 with the tried and true viscous coupling system. Both work well. The Active AWD is more pro-active than the continuos AWD found in the manual transmission version. Maybe the VC is more reliable. One guy I spoke to said they will often last 200k miles + if taken care of.

Subarus are great when the weather is bad. The traction is excellent. Heavy rain/snow. Great cars.

If you never owned a Full time AWD vehicle, be aware tire life sucks. I've never gotten more than 40k from a set on either of my current Subaru cars. Stock or UHP A/S. Touring tires might hold up better.

The good news is with good A/S tires, Subaru AWD will get you through most any conditions a sane person would attempt in winter.

I dunno, my WRX got better tire life on its OEM summer tires than either my previous Civic or my wife's Mazda3 got on their stock tires. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Agreed, but you save on tire rotations, since it's not needed. Mine wear evenly front vs rear. Due to not only the 50/50 torque split of the manual transmission models with the viscous center differential but also a f/r weight distribution that is pretty even, too.

The alignment is still different front to rear (although less so than on some vehicles). I'm still too chicken to try skipping rotations on mine!

If the g/f is thrilled with the 6spd manual compared to what she's used to, go for it! I don't know if this 6spd is different from what was used in the Legacy and Outback, but I've not read a glowing review of those.

I've posted many times in regards to my frustrations with my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5spd. It's no so much the shifter gate and throw, it's the stupid long clutch throw. For me, it's too long to just pivot your foot, you've pretty much got to whole-leg it like a truck.

In terms of how good of a "deal" you can get on a new Subaru, that's totally dependent on how well they sell in your particular area. Getting ~$1500 off MSRP on a more basic trimmed Forster most likely wont happen in the Buffalo NY area. $1000 maybe, if it's a deal w/out a trade-in.

www.truecar.com

Website will give you an OTD price, print out the quote and bring to dealership.
Not sure if your area has that.

I was looking at the 2014 GTI and i got 25,500 OTD from the dealership and then i looked at truecar and they gave me a OTD price of 24,200 at a different dealership. Pretty handy...wouldnt be surprised if you can knock down a few hundred more off the truecar quote.

Wife just got a new, blue "base" 2015 forester. Man, what an improvement in seating position, sightlines and perceived torsional rigidity over the 2011! Base model now has rear view cam and advanced capability color DIC and Bluetooth for you "toy" lovers.
Got $1000.00 off no negotiation before considering a trade. (22,040 out the door)
Manchester Subaru is a high volume, high discount dealer - they sold 14 cars the Saturday I was there! Just make sure you negotiate the silly $375 "admin-doc" fee down to a reasonable 100 bucks.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
She has a 2011 Forester? The car couldn't be worn out yet, would it?

I'd be more afraid of a Nissan CVT than I would a 64000 mile old Subaru with a manual transmission.

There are a lot of retitled leftover 2013 Rogues Rogue Selects around here. I think you can lease them for like $100 a month.

She just bought a '15 Saturday. The dealer only gave her $9300- for the trade with 68,293 miles. The car has some small dent and dings, moderate to minor hail damage on the hood and a torn rear bumper cover (~3" long) down near the reflector. Also required brakes all around and 60K service (brake bleed, PS fluid and MT trans and rear diff renew.) I thought we would get 11,5. I was ready to walk, but she pulled the trigger as they wore her down. I really don't like to leave a grand on the table ;(

Last edited:
Doc fees are just another way to make money. if you make a big stink about it they will probably take it off, but there are some, especially those with less than stellar credit don't care how much and what fees are involved in getting a car.

"Quick question because I'll be calling the salesman back today, what is the consensus on doc fees? This dealer is charging $359 for those and another $75 for, "other"? They are discounting $947 off the $25,445.00 retail price, but I'd like to at least double that."

Doc fees? I make it clear that my offers are all costs and fees plus tax and title. When they tried to put it back in I complained. Then they told me it was non-negotiable. I said fine. Take it out of the purchase price then They said 'no' I walked and I meant it. Then they called me in the car and sold me the vehicle at the agreed upon price. Ain't car buying grand?

If they were just trying to nick me for $75 or something, I wouldn't say anything. I honestly don't care if they want to call part of the price 'doc fees' or 'Polyglycoat' in fact, there's a minor tax advantage since they don't charge the sales tax on the fees. But money is money and its all really the purchase price.

Truecar is a great starting place but I bought mine for less and it didn't show on their bell curve latter on, either. Its prices don't include the doc fees, on the other hand they do include the Truecar commissiion, so its about the same. I nearly bought from the Sam's Club buying service. But when i factored in the price of shipping the car from The Big City, ($400), I realized that could offer to pay the local guy $200 less than that and he would make the deal--and he did.

[/quote]

Call around now. Manchester Subaru can have decent prices on cars and has an internet department.

See if the Kartboy shifter fits the newest Forester:

http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16174&cat=251&bestseller=Y

It's the real deal. It will feel like it should. Nice crisp shifts.

My wife manages about 50k miles on tire on her 2005 Legacy GT wagon 5mt which now is on the 3rd set of tires. I managed to get 50k-55k on my WRX tires OEM and then RE960. I believe we get the rated life out of the tires. We never rotated the tires!!!

Yes the shifters are pretty rubbery on the recent Forester/Impreza/Outback I concur. Maybe that item will fix that awful feeling.

The shift action was poor on a impreza wagon 5MT I sat in , but the wifes forester (6M)is acceptable and MUCH improved over the base impreza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back