Honda V6 225 Outboard Oil option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says "If Honda 10W-30 FC-w is not available, Honda recommends that you use API service category SG, SH, or SJ oil. The SAE viscosity and service category are in the API label on the oil container." Any good recommendations besides $7qt honda oil? I was thinking Rotella T5???
Thanks in Advance!

you might want to stay with a marine oil... Amz, RP PZ... I would try the the t5 too... gets high marks here.
year of motor, warranty??
If it was mine, I'd go a mix of RP marine and the T5...

I wonder why Honda would specify "obsolete" 10W-30 for the engine, when the 20 weights that they specify in the roadgoing engines offer clearly superior performance and protection...(well according to the advocates of said engine oil).

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I wonder why Honda would specify "obsolete" 10W-30 for the engine, when the 20 weights that they specify in the roadgoing engines offer clearly superior performance and protection...(well according to the advocates of said engine oil).

It's all about the add pack. The older oils have add packs that are beneficial to highly loaded marine engines, but not emission systems. The newer oils are beneficial to emission systems but not as beneficial to highly loaded marine engines. There is nothing wrong with the slightly older oil formulations as far as engines go, they just are not friendly to modern emission systems in autos.

Last edited:
My vote is also for Rotella T5 10-30. Stout oil with strong add pack and readily available at Walmart for $16 a gallon.

I personally have never seen an outboard speced for a 20 grade. Seems almost all are 30, 40, and a few 50 (such as Mercury Verado). I think the main reason for heavy oils is that outboards tend to shear oil because constant, high load RPM's. I'm sure most 30 weight oils turn into a 20 and most 40's turn into a 30. Just my 2 cents.

Yamaha recomends Yamalube 20-40 for my F115, but they also say their syn 5-30 is ok also. I am using NAPA 15-40 which is rated SJ and CJ-4. Changing at 50 hours Blackstone says everything is perfect. I also use the Mercury oil filter (Yamaha made their 115) and I can buy it at Walmart for $6. I can change oil and filter for$35 and not worry. Using Yamajunk and their filter costs $60. I learned on BITOG that Yamalube is not that good.

Xs 2 What Tuffy 1760 Said.

Trying to save on FW-c rated MARINE 4 Stroke Oils is Penny Wise and Pound
Foolish!

Marine 4 strokes operate under Full Load and higher RPMs than Landlubbers.
AND Marine 4 strokes are subject to Water (Salt or Fresh) Crankcase Intrusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back