"2013" 5.0 Stang oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a used 2013 5.0 V8 Mustang with the Trac Pack performance option with 13,000 miles. The oil cap on the motor says use 5w20 oil although I was reading on another forum that the 5.0 V8 motor with the Trac Pack was upgraded to use 5w50 oil? The dealership was not much help the service clown behind the desk just looked at me and said "If the oil cap says 5w20 just stick with that" I wanted him to at leased look in his Ford computer to see if there were any updates. Thanks for any advice

2013_GT_track_package_capacities_specifications.jpg

Hay thanks that chart helps I do not have that chart in my manual. I should also mention I have no plans to take this car to the track. Prob just some fast Sunday drives!

This is a really touchy subject on this forum, especially when the people that get their panties in a wad the most don't own one so they have no dog in the fight. FWIW I use the Motorcraft 5W50 in my Track Pack, but will most likely use my stash of M1 0W40 and Pentosin 5W40 when the warranty is up.

If you aren't sure if it is a Track Pack or not, look at the differential housing. If it is painted black with a finned cover it is a Track Pack, or has had a Track Pack diff housing and cover put in. The non BOSS or Track Pack cars had unpainted housings. Also look at the backing plate behind the front rotor, it will say "Tack Pack" on it, at least mine did before I threw them away in favor of the FRPP brake cooling kit.

If you do have a track pack but don't track the car and you still want viscosity reserve for running the engine hard now and then i would suggest Mobil 1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If you aren't sure if it is a Track Pack or not, look at the differential housing. If it is painted black with a finned cover it is a Track Pack, or has had a Track Pack diff housing and cover put in. The non BOSS or Track Pack cars had unpainted housings. Also look at the backing plate behind the front rotor, it will say "Tack Pack" on it, at least mine did before I threw them away in favor of the FRPP brake cooling kit.

You bring up a good point this GT may not be a Track Pack car I will check the rear diff cover?? The dealer talks about Track Pack although the window sticker does not say so? What it does say is the following..

Brembo Brake Pkg
3:73 Gear Ratio with Torsen Helical Gear diff
Recaro sport seats

If this GT had the Track Pack would the window sticker say "Track Pack?"

If this GT is or is not a"Track Pack" car if I run say 0w40 would this void my warranty? The dealer is including a Ford Certified 100,000 mile warranty.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
If this GT is or is not a"Track Pack" car if I run say 0w40 would this void my warranty? The dealer is including a Ford Certified 100,000 mile warranty.

Depends on the dealer. I would just run 5w-20. Millions of these Modular V8s have worked hard and racked up a lot of miles(in hot climates) running 20 grade oils.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If it's a Track Pack car,you'll also have two different keys.

Negative. The Track Key was a $302 option on the BOSS 302 cars. Also all 2014 Mustang GTs built after a certain date in August 2013 can have the Track Key programmed as well. Mine was built in March of 2013 so I have the older PCM.

Also look under the hood and see if you have the oil cooler. The Track Pack cars got the BOSS 302 oil cooler and radiator. Also see if you have the Track Tools on the instrument cluster. There should be a g-meter, Christmas Tree, and 0-60, 1-100, 1/8mile, 1/4 mile, 100-0, and 60-0 settings in the instrument cluster.

The Torsen diff came with the Brembo package which was required in order to have the Track Pack.

Typically with an external oil cooler, you will see an adaptor plate between the oil filter and the engine. 2 hoses will be attached to that adaptor plate, 1 taking the filtered oil to the cooler, and 1 taking the oil from the cooler into the engine.

But the track pack might use a different system.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Wow look at that 5w50 is on there. There other thread on here for the same motor everybody up and down saying stay with 5w20

Regular Mustang: 5w20 specified
Track Pack Mustang: 5w50 specified

So that is why the OP and some other people are confused.

If you're not taking the car to a track or racing it on a regular basis, 5/20 will work just fine with no ill effects. According to Fords' website on what the track pack includes, it doesn't state any kind of changes with the engine internally, just an external oil cooler and upgraded radiator is added to it. Everything else different is just brakes, suspension and upgraded TORSEN helical differential.

The engine management is different in the track pack, the regular GT can pull timing if the engine gets too hot, if you have a track pack it's possible to over heat the oil if you abuse it but it would likely not be possible on the street. The track pack engine management has no nannies on reducing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back