7,000 miles on oil... change before trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Fusion will have about 7,000 miles on the oil before we leave for a ~1,200 mile round trip next week. OLM will be around 30% remaining. Oil in the sump is QSUD 5w20, Fram TG oil filter. Should I change before the trip? I know the OLM won't give me any trouble, but this is about the farthest already I've ever gone for one OCI, so I'm getting antsy...

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would not change. My own testing has shown Ford's iOLM is rather conservative.

This really makes me want to get a UOA sometime. For us, the Fusion always drops 10% per 1,000 miles driven, regardless of seasons or driving patterns (with one exception, when we drove straight through to Florida).

Klutz, you answered your own question when you said you were antsy.

At 7k you're close enough, go ahead and do it now and have one less thing preoccupying you on the trip.

Always done 10k by choice. No issues. And the 100% monitor is set 10k miles. Each 100 is 1%. You'd be fine leaving it. I would. But you're basically 3/4 through the 10k so it's your choice. Either is a good one.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I wouldn't change. Highway miles are easy on oil and the iOLM will probably be at 20% or higher when you get back.

+1. Highway miles will be easier and MPGs will be higher, so I don't have any concern.

If you wanted to add a bit of lc20 or lubriguard bio additive, it would be good for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I wouldn't change. Highway miles are easy on oil and the iOLM will probably be at 20% or higher when you get back.

+2

The 1200 miles doesn't matter if it's an upcoming trip or if you were just tooling around town. Change it based on when you plan to change it or when it's convenient...

I'd want fresh oil in the engine before a long trip if it was me.
28.gif

It's not needed, but do what you're most comfortable with. If you decide not to change it, it might be a good time to do a UOA so you can gauge how well the oil held up and not worry the next time you're running it over 7k miles.

I have no doubt it would be okay either way, but if it where me I would change it, for many reasons, but the main one is the old OCD!!

Originally Posted By: kwooten31
I have no doubt it would be okay either way, but if it where me I would change it, for many reasons, but the main one is the old OCD!!

Same here.

Don't change it, your OLM doesn't even know you're using synthetic. I'd run the OLM to 0% every time if you're going to stay with full synthetic. As always, keep it topped off.

How was the engine treated during the 7k (5800) miles?
I prep my car for long trips and change the oil if 70`80% used.
Oil monitor is a dummy guide to me and I use it only as reference rather than absolute. My Lexus starts the warning at 90%.

Several times I have done 2000-3000K trips on my Fusion with M1 0-20 when the oil had 7-8K. Can't speak for QSUD.

I would probably change it, only because it isn't much oil and peace of mind. Not like one is going to have to take out a small loan to do it. Most people blow more going out on Saturday night than it costs for an oil change, especially so if you change it yourself. But, whatever floats your boat.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Our Fusion will have about 7,000 miles on the oil before we leave for a ~1,200 mile round trip next week. OLM will be around 30% remaining. Oil in the sump is QSUD 5w20, Fram TG oil filter. Should I change before the trip? I know the OLM won't give me any trouble, but this is about the farthest already I've ever gone for one OCI, so I'm getting antsy...

You're already 4K miles overdue for an OCI, so...........
27.gif
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back