Oilite Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of tillers that use tensioner pulleys for engaging the tiller drive. The pulleys have oilite bearings that are a bit dry, especially since I've cleaned them up with some varsol.

To relubricate the bearings, I've been soaking one pulley in some SAE 30 compressor oil. It's been completely immersed for a few days now and I'm wondering how it takes to be fully saturated. Is there a better way to maintain these bearings?

https://www.oilite.com/bmp.asp

Quote:
Bearings usually lose oil during the turning operation and the oil should be replaced before the bearing is used. A simple method of doing this is by immersing the bearing in oil SAE 20 heated to 80°C. The bearing should be immersed until the oil has cooled. The pores are filled with the oil by this process and the bearing is then ready for use.

http://www.bowman.co.uk/products/oilite_technical

It is interesting that the Bowman article states that the bearings are impregnated with SAE 30 oil but SAE 20 is recommended for relubrication after machining.

Just heating them and the oil to 175F on hot plate outside to keep the wife happy then letting them sit until everything cools will do the job or unheated in a vacuum.
I don't know how much difference 20 vs 30w would make but i am guessing not much.

If my dad were still alive i could tell you in a minute but he isn't but i do know they re oiled these bearings all the time after machining.

The Oilite bushings in my 528e's heater fan dried up after 15 yrs. The Bosch motor isn't really designed to be serviced. I practiced on 2 bad ones and made a good one. I finally refined my re hab to pulling the fans and suspending the motor end in a soup can full of ATF for a day then dunking the other end for a day. No heat ,no vacuum. The fan motors were done when I base lined the cars after purchase. 8 yrs for one 6 for the other,still running smooth and quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back