Ticks when it needs an oil change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I used the last 5qt jug of my PU 5w30 today. The truck had just under 5K miles on the oil and it starts ticking like it did a while ago. Change the oil and it stops for another 4-5K miles. Used a Napa Gold Too!

My brother's Jeep Cherokee starts dripping oil when it's due for an oil change Lol. Has done this for the past 3 1/2 years!

... had a 2006 Stratus with the 2.4 I-4 engine, used Havoline dino exclusively ... after about 4K miles the engine would start to sound like an old sewing machine ... give it a fresh oil and filter change and it was good to go another 4K ... that old car had 167K on the odometer when I traded it ... engine still good but the rest of the car was in sorry shape

Some engines just get noisy near, or below(gasp!) the low mark on the dipstick. I'm assuming any bitog'er would have checked that though.

An audio OLM?

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Mine starts slurping oil. It won't burn any, then suddenly over the course of about 500 miles it'll lose 1/2 quart. So I change it.

Had a couple like that, back in the day before UOAs...

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Probably due to the oil shearing.

+ 1 .... 4000 miles is about when 5W-30 turns into a 20 weight.

I notice the Corolla doing some of the same things slightly rougher idle, a little ticking on hard acceleration, but I guess one of the positives about having an oil burner is I'm topping off regularly and can hear/feel the difference of new oil. I can also feel gas differences, I find it strange that the "cheapest" car I have ever owned also is the most finicky. I bet it has to do with age and miles though.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Mine starts slurping oil. It won't burn any, then suddenly over the course of about 500 miles it'll lose 1/2 quart. So I change it.

This always makes me think fuel dilution. It used to be the case, back in the bad old Carburetor days, anyway.

Shearing, fuel dilution, filter being loaded up, or any combination of the three!

Fuel dilution possibly can be cured by a long highway run.

Sudden oil consumption should be topped off with a higher grade or honey for testing.

If no consumption, 4-6 ounces of oil snot/honey can verify if issue is simply visc loss from shearing. Or, refill with one thicker quart with whatever you are using to see if you can go further before noise occurs.

If filter is loaded, change it and top off and see what happens.

It's easy enough for anyone to troubleshoot.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Probably due to the oil shearing.

+ 1 .... 4000 miles is about when 5W-30 turns into a 20 weight.
Hence, my insistence on a 3K OCI.

Originally Posted By: telecat
Hence, my insistence on a 3K OCI.

shshshshshshshshshshsh..................not so loud....................you'll wake up the natives.
grin2.gif

It needs some Super Tech Synthetic!!!!!

My company Jeep Cherokee ticks more as it approaches the end of the OCI.

It's had a steady diet of house brand Warren oil and Hastings filters at 3,000 mile OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back