Dumping Used Oil Question......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I think the ID requirement has more to do with people trying to get rid of toxic PCB's and other substances by mixing them in with the oil. It acts as a deterrent if you know they can find you if they really want to.

If they don't check it before you dump how would they know who dumped it? The tank at our auto store is huge (couple hundred gallons) so checking people that bothered to fill it out would be relatively fruitless.

One time, a long while ago one of the stores (AAP or AZ) actually had some sniffer and checked the oil. Only did it one time and never again so I don't know what that was all about...

The ID check is to prevent or at sway you leaving something else toxic instead of motor oil nothing more.

A small amount of oil will taint a massive amount of drinking water mainly in taste. I cannot recall how little it was maybe 1 qt effects million gallons but it may be a smaller #. Once upon a time I was a water and waster treatment plant designer.

Any members close to me are more than welcome to bring all of their waste oil to my tank for disposal. I promise no one will look at you or make you sign anything, just dump & go.

Last load of waste oil left here for a dollar a gallon.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: VNTS
My local Dodge store lets me dump it in their tanks, have 4 1000 gallon tank, they use it for heating fuel in the Winter.

Burning waste oil is highly polluting

http://www.toronto.ca/health/hphe/pdf/boh_used_motor_oil.pdf

I'm with you on this one, Bluestream. Used oil should be disposed of properly, not burnt.

What about oil burning stoves? I know a few shops that use them in the winter time and save $$$ on heat.

What do they do with used waste oil when it is collected? Is it stockpiled somewhere? Is it put back into the ground nice and deep?

I don't know, but I bet it gets burnt....

Does anybody in rural Pennsylvania know if PennDOT still sprays used oil on dirt roads in the summer to keep the dust down?

Okay, it might have been the township and not the state that used to do that...

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I dread returning my used oil. It seems Pep Boys and my local Autozone give me the "third degree" when bringing it to them. They make me show ID and sign a form which I find silly and time consuming. I'm tempted just to dump it into my local filthy river or neighbors sewer but I've heard you can get fined. Any suggestions where I can take it?

Canvas your local garages. You may find one or more of them use waste oil heaters for their facility. If so, they will usually happily take every single drop of used oil you can give them, as it keeps their shops warm all winter long. I know the one around here is delighted when I pull up with 10 or 15 gallons of "fuel" for them.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: VNTS
My local Dodge store lets me dump it in their tanks, have 4 1000 gallon tank, they use it for heating fuel in the Winter.

Burning waste oil is highly polluting

http://www.toronto.ca/health/hphe/pdf/boh_used_motor_oil.pdf

I'm with you on this one, Bluestream. Used oil should be disposed of properly, not burnt.

The EPA has no problem with waste oil heaters here in the US. Only California, Mass. and NYC have local restrictions on them.

http://cleanburn.com/advantage/environment.html

Again, a lot of shops run this equipment, and are thrilled when they see used oil drop offs.

It's far better than dumping used fluids, which is what many frustrated DIY wind up doing otherwise.

Originally Posted By: WeenieHutJr
I dump old antifreeze in the neighbors bushes all the time, whatever dude. But oil always gets properly disposed of.

Unless you're on a septic, I thought it was OK for small quantities of antifreeze to go in the sewer system?

the fines for dumping oil down the sewer are very high and its not as hard as you think to find out who is dumping it they use cameras and chemicals and the person convicted pays for it all

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Unless you're on a septic, I thought it was OK for small quantities of antifreeze to go in the sewer system?

It's not ok in a lot of places. But you have to cross the concentration threshold in most communities before they start investigating further.

Most municipal systems monitor everything that's coming in. Besides auto and more severe household chemicals, they're looking for drug production chemistry (e.g. meth cooking). They may not catch a very small "oops" amount of antifreeze. But if you start dumping wholesale, they can quickly trace the chemistry back to the offender's point. Fines at a minimum, possible clean up costs if damage is done. And if it's drugs, criminal charges.

Originally Posted By: WeenieHutJr
I dump old antifreeze in the neighbors bushes all the time, whatever dude. But oil always gets properly disposed of.

If you did that here, dude, I'd be kicking down your @^&$*#! door.

Hopefully the police would arrive to arrest you before our neighborhood got through with you.

We've got shallow wells around here (poison.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Autozone just dumps it in the tank.

Walmart lets you dump the oil in the tank yourself and no special container required.

Depends on what Walmart you go to.

At my local Walmart, you have to sign the log, someone has to look at your used oil, then watch you dump the oil in the tank.

At my local Advance and Autozone, they hardly ever check people with oil to dump. They have log books, but often employees ignore it. When the salesmen see me walk in with oil to dump, they guide me to the tank, like I was celebrity walking down the red carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back