Maryland Fried Chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love to make this.

Served with a Kale and White Bean salad, And some Cherry Tomatoes and Cucumbers with Basil.

My Wife made a nice Oil and Vinegar dressing too with fresh Herbs.

And some Corn.

Maryland Fried Chicken by Eric Auer, on Flickr

Sorry, real MD / DE / Delmarva fried chicken comes from a gas station or small shack somewhere east or west of US 13.

That just looks darn good, both as a meal and the photography.

And I suspect there were no gas stations involved
wink.gif

What makes it Maryland-y as compared to traditional southern/soul? There was a MFC chain in Easton, PA but I never went and it's gone now.

Originally Posted By: cutter
What makes it Maryland-y as compared to traditional southern/soul? There was a MFC chain in Easton, PA but I never went and it's gone now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Maryland

I use a recipe from a very old copy of The Fannie Farmer Cook Book

Basically you soak the chicken pieces in milk or butter milk for a while before dipping them in Flour, Eggs and then breadcrumbs.

Fry them in a 1/2" of oil, Turning frequently and then covering up the pan for some steaming.

Easy and fun and does not require a whole lot of oil so no big mess either.

There is also a Maryland chicken recipe where the buttermilk marinated chicken is fried then smothered in gravy.IIRC old bay seasoning may be involved.

There was also a chain of restaurants named Maryland Fried Chicken.Not many left but they had a pretty tasty product.Used a "broaster" and peanut oil to cook the chicken.I thought they were better than KFC.At one time I think they had 200 or so franchises along in the eastern US.I think they are down to a couple of dozen now.Too bad.

btw
great photos

Originally Posted By: urrlord
There is also a Maryland chicken recipe where the buttermilk marinated chicken is fried then smothered in gravy.IIRC old bay seasoning may be involved.

There was also a chain of restaurants named Maryland Fried Chicken.Not many left but they had a pretty tasty product.Used a "broaster" and peanut oil to cook the chicken.I thought they were better than KFC.At one time I think they had 200 or so franchises along in the eastern US.I think they are down to a couple of dozen now.Too bad.

btw
great photos

We had one near where I live now.

Place was dirty and smelled rancid so I never ate there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back