Beware of Chinese Craftsman wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons
The Wright wrenches bear a striking resemblance to an economy line of wrenches offered by MAC back in the 60's. Any idea who makes 'em?

Mike

All Wright Tools are manufactured by WRIGHT TOOL here in Ohio.
This is how you receive them.
DSC00031.JPG

Nice tools!

If you're buying a tool that has a guaranteed warranty, even if that particular item was destroyed through obvious neglect, why should I care where it was manufactured?

I absolutely get that a professional has good reason to care about the quality and reliability of their tools. But as an amateur I don't understand.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
If you're buying a tool that has a guaranteed warranty, even if that particular item was destroyed through obvious neglect, why should I care where it was manufactured?

I absolutely get that a professional has good reason to care about the quality and reliability of their tools. But as an amateur I don't understand.
IMO. Up until the last 10-20 years tools were viewed as a something to be proud to own. They were an extension of yourself. Some people still hold on to those ideals and haven't fully embraced the idea of cheap throwaway stuff built with only cost in mind.

Originally Posted By: hatt
IMO. Up until the last 10-20 years tools were viewed as a something to be proud to own. They were an extension of yourself. Some people still hold on to those ideals and haven't fully embraced the idea of cheap throwaway stuff built with only cost in mind.

Ah okay, that I get. I guess I think of tools from a purely practical point of view, as an object that lets me do something so I don't have to pay someone else to do it. I didn't really have the thought that tool collection could be a hobby all by itself.

When you get hurt with cheap tools you will know why.
Screwdrivers that don't fit well, wrenches that spread and slip, poorly ground hammer faces, ratchets that slip ramming your hand into the nearest metal object, sockets that break with the same effect, on and on.

I never owned cheap junk tools and never will. In the long run they are much cheaper than disposable junk in every way.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Screwdrivers that don't fit well, wrenches that spread and slip, poorly ground hammer faces, ratchets that slip ramming your hand into the nearest metal object, sockets that break with the same effect, on and on.

I never owned cheap junk tools and never will. In the long run they are much cheaper than disposable junk in every way.

How many more decades of using cheap tools is it going to take for me to experience that?

I've conceded that "because I like tools" is as valid a reason as any. You don't have to take the condescending tone because I have different priorities.

Besides, I see "ASE" and "Master" in your signature. My post does not apply to you, clearly you're a professional and have different needs (I thought I made that very clear). Imagine, instead of using a tool every day of every year, that you might pull it out of your tool box a half dozen times a year. Does it still make sense to spend so much from a purely practical point of view?

You don't have to take the condescending tone because I have different priorities.

Nothing condescending about it. All it takes is one use of the cheap tool to either hurt you or damage the fastener, etc.
Of course you post applies to me, you don't think i have some tools that are seldom used?
All it takes in one use of a cheap Chines spring compressor on a really strong spring to get a little excitement going.

If you want to use junk knock yourself out.

[My post does not apply to you, clearly you're a professional and have different needs (I thought I made that very clear). Imagine, instead of using a tool every day of every year, that you might pull it out of your tool box a half dozen times a year. Does it still make sense to spend so much from a purely practical point of view?

Huh? Since when does safety take a backseat for anyone? Saving money at the expense of safety is a bad deal.

And tolerances, quality, etc., again, as important to the shade tree as the pro. All it takes is the right tool to make or break a job. All it takes is the wrong tool to botch something up and make the job really expensive and a huge hassle.

I've found that as a DIYer, that the money I save can pay for the right tools and then a lot of money. And that's not a dig on the prices a pro charges, just that the cost of the right tools to do a job right, aren't that great, and then I have them, permanently. Not a bad deal.

Nothing condescending about it.

This is condescending. This is how you talk to a child, not another grown man.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Huh? Since when does safety take a backseat for anyone? Saving money at the expense of safety is a bad deal.

And tolerances, quality, etc., again, as important to the shade tree as the pro. All it takes is the right tool to make or break a job. All it takes is the wrong tool to botch something up and make the job really expensive and a huge hassle.

I've found that as a DIYer, that the money I save can pay for the right tools and then a lot of money. And that's not a dig on the prices a pro charges, just that the cost of the right tools to do a job right, aren't that great, and then I have them, permanently. Not a bad deal.

But you're just assuming that Chinese tools are unsafe, because they're Chinese? I get that with some tools it makes sense from a safety standpoint, like the spring compressor Trav just mentioned (which is probably still fine if you use it once and never touch it again), but what are you going to screw up with a Chinese built Craftsman ratchet that has a guaranteed replacement waiting for you even if you use it with a six foot cheater bar?

Again, "I like tools" makes sense, and being a professional whose livelihood depends on his tools not taking him away from a paying job also matters, but I see no practical reason to have thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On gear laying around for twice a year oil changes or every-other-year tune-ups.

My question was answered in the very first response, I got the point, we don't need to continue this.

But you're just assuming that Chinese tools are unsafe, because they're Chinese? I get that with some tools it makes sense from a safety standpoint, like the spring compressor Trav just mentioned (which is probably still fine if you use it once and never touch it again), but what are you going to screw up with a Chinese built Craftsman ratchet that has a guaranteed replacement waiting for you even if you use it with a six foot cheater bar?

Again, "I like tools" makes sense, and being a professional whose livelihood depends on his tools not taking him away from a paying job also matters, but I see no practical reason to have thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On gear laying around for twice a year oil changes of bi-annual tune-ups.

But that's where the silliness lies. You're not a shop, so you don't need thousands of dollars worth of every angle offset and oddball shape fastener sockets and who knows what else. You need what you. We'd to get a job done. So no point in hanging thousands up in fancy name tools, sure, but that doesn't negate the point of buying best quality when you know the specific items you need.

And let's not get started on selling your neighbors' jobs to china to save a buck.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But that's where the silliness lies. You're not a shop, so you don't need thousands of dollars worth of every angle offset and oddball shape fastener sockets and who knows what else. You need what you. We'd to get a job done. So no point in hanging thousands up in fancy name tools, sure, but that doesn't negate the point of buying best quality when you know the specific items you need.

And let's not get started on selling your neighbors' jobs to china to save a buck.

If you bought the best quality tools you could easily spend thousands on just what you need to do oil changes. Go price out a two ton jack and stands at Snap-On. You can't tell me the average guy trying to save a few bucks on an oil change needs those things.

You realize the outsourcing thing works both ways, right? For years the Camry was the most American car on the planet, and now I believe is still #2 just behind the F-150. Currently BMW is America's most exported name-plate.

To be honest, you're going to be fine with cheap tools doing superficial tasks. There's also middle ground between an $8 set of HF combo wrenches and a $400 set of Snap-on wrenches.

Well yeah, my tool set ranges from nice to junk depending on need and frequency of use. But if the tool is stamped "Craftsman" I don't understand why I should care about where it's made so long as Sears backs up the quality.

I really didn't think people bought Craftsman because it was particularly nice, I thought people bought Craftsman because they could take a hack saw to a wrench and get a replacement with no questions asked.

To be honest, you're going to be fine with cheap tools doing superficial tasks. There's also middle ground between an $8 set of HF combo wrenches and a $400 set of Snap-on wrenches.

+1 There is a big difference between cheap tools and inexpensive tools.
Hazet wrenches are expensive but you can get Proxxon for 1/4 the price, the steel quality and fit is there but the finish is not as fine and the tool has slightly more bulk.

I would take the not so pretty to look at German made Proxxon any day over some highly polished Chinese rubbish made from scrap metal from Sears or HF.
Price in Germany is about 1/3 of the US sales price even from the same company.

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-23821-Slim...roxxon+wrenches

http://www.amazon.de/Proxxon-23821-Slim-Ring-Maulschl%C3%BCsselsatz-15-teilig/dp/B002Z8J5GA

+1 There is a big difference between cheap tools and inexpensive tools.
Hazet wrenches are expensive but you can get Proxxon for 1/4 the price, the steel quality and fit is there but the finish is not as fine and the tool has slightly more bulk.

I would take the not so pretty to look at German made Proxxon any day over some highly polished Chinese rubbish made from scrap metal from Sears or HF.
Price in Germany is about 1/3 of the US sales price even from the same company.

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-23821-Slim...roxxon+wrenches

http://www.amazon.de/Proxxon-23821-Slim-Ring-Maulschl%C3%BCsselsatz-15-teilig/dp/B002Z8J5GA

How bout some proof all Chinese tools are made from scrap metal.

$138.00 bucks for 15 dollars for a DIY'er? Holy mackerel, I've got a set twice that number both SAE & Metric, bought maybe 30 years ago, MIT brand whatever that is, ya I know what MIT stands for in tools, and I've yet to break or damage any of the wrenches in any way, neither have they caused me any harm.

Myki, I've had this same debate with the same forum members, you will get nowhere with them as I never was able to. Buy what you wish and can afford, shop where ever you wish and continue your DIY hobby and enjoy yourself and enjoy your savings if you wish to.

Last edited:
Of course not all Chinese tools are made from scrap metal, or have poor machining, or poor heat treating. I believe Snap-on has some stuff made in China. China CAN make very good stuff. The companies sourcing the products decide on the quality. Since they go to China to save money they usually keep on saving money when it comes to the specs.

Odd isn't it that the Chinese can orbit a man using junk material and slave labor? And yet the hottest selling car there is the Buick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back