Best oil choice for high mileage Chevy S10

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have a lot going on chemically in that engine. No one will ever know what cleaned it up. LOL Good luck, please report back.

Yea I know a lot of people if not everyone does not like the gunk line of products. Just a lot of garbage chemicals in there right now and I figure a half bottle if not 1/3 of it will help get some of the left overs along with a little bit if debris. But like I said I will be taking pictures pretty much after everything I do in order to have a documented "slide show" if you will of everything that I will be doing.

Also I intend to let it drain for an hour or so and once it stops dripping I'm going to pour a bottle of oil down the filler tube to wash out anything left in the pan and let it drain for another 30-45 minutes.

This is pretty much going to turn into a project thread as far as this cleaning goes so stay tuned peoples!!

Originally Posted By: Covert24
Is here a good place to post my progress thread or should I start a new one in another section?

Well, technically you could start a thread in the oil additives section and post a link to this thread there as a reference...to document your experience with Auto RX anyway, as well as what PU and MMO did for you if you did indeed get to take all of the pictures you mentioned.

Alrighty. I already got all the pictures and stuff taken as well as the whole post already written up. Was just waiting on a recommendation of where to post it. I shall proceed with posting in the additives section and post a link here to that threa and vice versa

Originally Posted By: Covert24
1. I have a 1989 Chevy S10 4x4 with a 4.3L and 205k miles on it
2. I do not have my owners manual but I know that it calls for 10-30W or 5-30W depending on the climate.
3. I live in Charlotte, North Carolina in the USA where the summers or moderately hot and the winters can get pretty cold (ie. Low 20's)
4. I usually drive at a moderate speed. Never really follow the speed limit and I like to go fast on the highway (ie. Upper 70's to 80's)
5. Daily drive consists of mostly city driving with some highway in between. But mostly city
6. I don't really have any known problems with the engine itself other than some ticking here and there but not sure of the actual location of the ticking. Minor oil leak as well.

I would love to continue my venture with Synthetic as that is what I have been using along with some MMO every once in a while for te sludge problem I have. Although if there is a Dino oil that may better suite me than I'm all for it. As far as where to get it I would prefer store-bought for convenience. I have been changing the oil roughly every 3k miles since I got the truck with 180k miles on it. My first oil change was Penn Ultra 10-30W then it went to Mobile 1 10-30w then it went back to the Penn ultra and then my last oil change was the Penn Ultra 5-20W combined with a bottle of MMO and a bottle of V6 restore.

My next oil change is due and need some recommendations on what I should do in terms of best oil for my application. I'd love to have something with a lot of cleaning capabilities and I was looking at the rotella line of products for diesel engines but I'm not too knowledgable on this subject.

Here is a picture of my current sludge problem. This is on the drivers side head -

http://yfrog.com/h48vdmj

Thanks guys! I look forward to hearing from you!!

-Billy

Dear sir, havijng a Chevy 4.3 Vin "W" with the engien that can adjust to run better om premium gas abd says "VORTEC" on the headers, 1993 or later (this is a sweet, sweet engine, id buy the truck just for it,) I can tell yothat not only will it last forever and the truck will fall apart around the engine ask me how i know i can always find another though, but that 10W-40 is IDEAL for you, and we used it WITHOUT ISSUE for MANY YEARS>

10W-40. I promise you its ok.

Source: My engine always loved it, and its digital oil pressure gauge always showed good pressure. Dont let the numbers fool you, this car likes its 40-wt oil. Expecially under load!

COnventional, not synthetic, too. Hi-mi? I would, btu thats up to you.

I vote 40. Ive owned this truck and motr. And it was fine.

Well it's a 89 so it's not a "vortec" style engine. 1995/6+ (can't remember which) was te year the newer style heads came out that flowed may better than the earlier ones. Both are pretty much the same other than the heads and intake. Also it's a VIN "Z". But like I said basically the same.

After the ARX treatment I'm probably going to go ahead and switch to PP or PU 5w-30 with MMO every other oil change and either the Kreen flush or the Lubro Moly flush after every change with the MMO in it.

Also after the ARX adventure is done I will be pulling both valve covers off and shop-vac the heads. May even pull the heads off and get throw in some new seals and valves. We shall see what money allows

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

I'm curious about the advice for Used Oil Analysis. This is a 21 yr old Chevy with 205K and sludge. A UOA costs about the same as an oil change right? Would the OP be well served to keep up the short OCIs with an HM oil and forgo the analysis? What would an analysis do for him? Seems like PYB and a decent filter and reasonable OCIs would be cost effective.

Please forgive my ignorance about UOAs.
The other thing is this: a single UOA isn't much data. It's a snapshot. If you do UOA at every oil change, you can establish a trend and then alter your OCI/OFI as you see fit. But depending on a single UOA to make a decision is a fool's errand. If you're going to do just one, save your money.

I've owned three S-10's with all different engines... 91' 2.8L 218k when sold , 93' 4.3L 260K when traded and a 88' 2.5L Iron Duke 58k when sold, all of them ran great on PYB 10W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back