40w Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 92 Ebbtide with a Yamaha inboard stern drive. The owners manual calls for 40w SF or SG oil. I cannot find SF or SG oil and very small quantities of 40w. The manual also states to use 20w-40 as a substitute or 20w-50 if the first 2 are unavailable. Any suggestions on where I might be able to find 40w oil or an alternative to SF or SG?

... Also 4T Motorbike oil - good ZDDP though it may be low on moly. The CJ service HDEO may be better for a inboard.

Last edited:
SF and SG are very old and have been superseded by many new categories. We are now on SN. By definition, an SN oil will satisfy all requirements of previous Sx specifications.

In other words:

SN can be used in applications requiring SN, SM, SL, SJ, etc
SM can be used in applications requiring SM, SL, SJ, etc
SL can be used in applications requiring SL, SJ, etc
(and so on)

Mobil 1 15w50 can sometimes be found at Walmart in the 5 quart jug.

If you just want cheap but quality you can buy Supertech 20w50 conventional at Walmart foraabout $4 per quart.

I wouldn't go 20-50 anything....that stuff is like maple syrup and I'd be dang sure not to use it in the cold months.

If you absolutely need SAE40, you can get it from somewhere that specializes in diesel engines. There are still many Detroit 2-stroke engines, and in most weather conditions they need SAE40.

Forget about searching for SF or SG. Many of the SAE40 oils are made for SJ or SL which both are used to replace SF and SG. If the only specs are CF and/or CF-2, only then are you unable to use it.

Cenpeco S3 40 wt meets your spec. I use the 30 wt in my marine diesel and love it. It meets mil spec corrosion requirements (saltwater) plus it is high tbn so extended oci is definitely possible with uoa. They sell it by the case and ship right to your door. Just give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back