Ford three cylinder Fiesta SFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul. 24, 2014 - 1:51 - Three-cylinder Ford Fiesta SFE. Ok, this one does not do it for me, hey now, wouldn't you rather have a 5.0, u know, lets roll when we wanna roll.......... 17,000 bucks to start,,,,I don'ttttttttttt think so...yes I did once own a brand new VW Beetle, ugh, $1,660.00 plus tax. Ok, I'm old.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were a 3 cylinder diesel - I'd be interested. Not a 3 cylinder gasser though. However, I did manage to squeeze just over 40 mpg out of a Fiesta rental car last year.

I hope this example underlines my point of view when someone brags about company so and so is paying 40K a year for a job.

40,000 annual salary does not equal to loads of buying power.

I had a 1.0 5 speed Metro. I had no problems even in mountain highway driving. 45 mpg was nice.

I've gotten around perfectly fine with the 67 hp in my 240D, highway and all over between NYC and DC included. Not an issue.

And those 67hp were like $30k 1981 dollars!

That seems to be a fair price for what you get in that Fiesta. Everything I've read about it has been positive.

Way back when I was much younger....I had an '82 Honda Civic Hatchback. Got it used in about '87 for about $3k I think. Anyway, it had a 4 cylinder 1.3L in it. About 60HP or so. I LOVED that little car! I had ZERO issues merging onto the interstate or any other power related concerns. Got about 45mpg on the highway.

This Ford isn't my cup of tea though. I'm sure it would be ample power....but $17,000 does seem a bit high...maybe.
I'm considering a commuter car next year...Mitsubishi Mirage w/CVT. It's got a 3 cylinder as well. Makes only 74 horses. Sells for about $14k or less.
I would have no problem with it's diminutive power for a commuter.

Last edited:
Hilly areas and general speeds would be an issue by me. My 95 Camry 2.2 with AC on is 4-5k rpm on hilly sections of highway (specifically Taconic Parkway through Putnam County) to keep 70-75MPH. 30 or 40hp shy of the min but that is MHO and also relative to where I drive. City only vehicle I'd think a 2cy with 60hp would be a ok as well.

This car has 123 hp and 148 lb/ft of torque and weighs under 2600 lbs.. I can't imagine that it would struggle making it up anything but the steepest hills, if at all.

Within 100 miles of where I live there are multiple dealerships selling Ecoboost Fiestas for $15,000. If you need a cheap, efficient car and you insist upon buying new this is as good an option as any.

The Mirage makes a great argument for itself, but from what I can tell the Fiesta's case is that it's a nicer, likey better screwed together car.

What!!! It only comes with a manual transmission?

Where is the CVT?

A CVT would make it even better.

That video is a crock of turds. They compare this car to OTHER Ford product, seriously. I prefer a Prius, assembled in the U.S./Japan to a Mexican assembled Ford.

Last edited:
back in the early 70s. ford made a 3 cyl industrial engine gas and diesel. i was at Davis MFG later Case. dont remember the size.

Fiesta is a very nice car and this little turbo must be fun. For everyday commute and occasionall longer trip should be good.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Within 100 miles of where I live there are multiple dealerships selling Ecoboost Fiestas for $15,000. If you need a cheap, efficient car and you insist upon buying new this is as good an option as any.

The Mirage makes a great argument for itself, but from what I can tell the Fiesta's case is that it's a nicer, likey better screwed together car.

I would love a car like that. So would other people. Its selling well, about as well as the ST hot-rod version. Someone at Ford had the good sense not to offer it with an automatic.

As you point out, the price is competitive if you can find one. A hatch with the (surprisingly) low-priced comfort package has a street price of maybe $17K. Not bad. Based on the power to weight ratio, it should cruise easily to 80 mph. It is however, a full tenth of a second slower to 60 mph than a 1982 Corvette. How did we ever manage back then? http://media.caranddriver.com/files/last-of-their-kind-corvettes.pdf

A 7yr 100K extended factory warranty is only $700, so you can be protected that way.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/esp_plan_co...Submit=Continue

The car has about a 4 quart oil sump. That's awesomely large, considering how little surface area has to be lubricated. That helps with service life if oil changes are a bit haphazard. This forumite pulled a TBN of 4 (Blackstone) on a 7,000 mile OCI. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...C_5#Post3393481

I realize that the ideal on this forum is that a car should be able to exceed the speed limit on the interstate at fast idle, but there are other points of view.

Last edited:
Not a bad little car. I can see it for an ex-urb commuter who needs something fuel-sipping to save on gas and small for parking in the urban jungle. 120 hp isn't breathtaking, but it's more than adequate to motivate 2600 lbs of car. Especially when combined with basically all of the engine's torque from lower RPM, it should drive just fine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've gotten around perfectly fine with the 67 hp in my 240D, highway and all over between NYC and DC included. Not an issue.

And those 67hp were like $30k 1981 dollars!

Thats more than my old 1980 200D with 58 HP 4spd stick and it ran fine.

Right after I got my license, I used to borrow my mother's '88 Fiesta 1.1 with 50 HP. At the time, it felt pretty fast to me, despite the claimed 0-60 mph time of 16.3 seconds. Alas, it only weighed 1660 lbs. That's probably around 1000 lbs less than this new Fiesta.

I'm sure this new 3-cyl will be quick enough. My main issue is with how unrefined a 3-cylinder engine behaves. Alas, for an econobox, maybe it isn't such a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back