Time to replace the bicycle chain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've determined that it is time to replace the chain (I'm now seeing that dreaded extra stretch). The bike currently has a Shimano HG-73 (9 speed) chain on it.

I'm assuming that it is best to simply replace what is on there, with another one of the same?

I don't know how many miles that this chain has on it, as I bought the bike used... but is at well over 1000 miles with me.

Well I do not know about road but I like KMC chains for mountain bike.....they have a link that makes the chain very easy to come for cleaning plus they seem very durable and quiet.

I will use the same brand, the rule of thumb is to replace every 2000 miles, so it is within the limits of normal wear.

Don't forget to check your sprockets for wear, Are you hearing any noises or the chain is skipping some speeds?

And don't fall for those titanium (golden) chains, they are not worth the value.

Must of got the chain from GM
smile.gif

I like the SRAM chains, it has as master link (they call it PowerLink) for easy installation. You would need to use a chain tool to remove links to get the right chain length. For checking chain stretch I use the Park Tool chain wear indicator tool.

Sprockets are good. Rear cassette has recently been apart, cleaned, and re-installed.

I really like the Wipperman nickle plated chains. It has the connex link for no tool removal, which helps at cleaning time. I've run these for my last 2 chains, as has my son. They hold up well.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Sorry... road.

it really doesn't matter if it's road or MTB. Same chain.

there are exceptions like the SRAM XX1 chain. It is best to use the SRAM XX1 specific chain on the XX1 chainrings, vs trying to use a Red22 (road) chain.

I personally use KMC chains.

Last edited:
Finally got the chain replaced tonight... and WOW, what a difference!

The first chain that I ordered was lost courtesy of the US Postal No-Service. So, I lost a week there. Ordered a second chain, and it arrived tonight.

Installed in about 10 minutes. Should have taken 5, but I wasn't in a big hurry. Took it out for a little trial run (didn't want to ride far, as it was after dark), and what a difference. Nearly feels like a completely different bike.

I went ahead and put a Shimano HG-73 back on it. I didn't see a whole lot of reason to change at this point. Got one for $24 shipped, so that was fine as well.

The new chain was lubed nicely, right out of the bag. Next, I'll have to research the proper products and technique for lubrication, as this is now a new chain, and I want it to last.

From what I've read, a new chain is lubed as good as it will ever be... and to just enjoy it while it lasts (which could be hundreds of miles... YMMV).

So, I guess it is like the "new car smell".... enjoy it while it lasts.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Finally got the chain replaced tonight... and WOW, what a difference!

The first chain that I ordered was lost courtesy of the US Postal No-Service. So, I lost a week there. Ordered a second chain, and it arrived tonight.

Installed in about 10 minutes. Should have taken 5, but I wasn't in a big hurry. Took it out for a little trial run (didn't want to ride far, as it was after dark), and what a difference. Nearly feels like a completely different bike.

I went ahead and put a Shimano HG-73 back on it. I didn't see a whole lot of reason to change at this point. Got one for $24 shipped, so that was fine as well.

The new chain was lubed nicely, right out of the bag. Next, I'll have to research the proper products and technique for lubrication, as this is now a new chain, and I want it to last.

To really take it through its paces, put it in the small chainring and one of smaller cogs and get out of the saddle and really crank on it. If it skips, your cogset is worn. Be careful, you can lose you balance and fall.

yes, it's a good idea to replace the rear cassette/freewheel when you replace the chain. they wear together. usually the bigger chainrings up front you can leave be for a while. they wear slower.

that factory grease on the chain is great stuff, don't put any lube on a fresh chain. and when you do need to lube it use a self-cleaning lube like rock n roll. triflow is a great lube but I can't recommend it on chains. It gets way too dirty. great on cables and pulleys and derailleur pivot points though.

also make sure the chain is the right length. put it in the smallest cogs front/back and you pretty much want the rear deraileur parallel to the ground or as long of chain you can put in there without the cogs/chain rubbing together. also, if its a full suspension put it in big/big and make sure the chain doesn't bottom out when you cycle the suspension.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
yes, it's a good idea to replace the rear cassette/freewheel when you replace the chain. they wear together.

Nonsense. If you're wearing out your cassette with each chain, you're running your chains too long. Get a Park tool chain stretch gauge and replace the chain when it gets to the smaller of the two measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back