Want to buy a Buick 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
What's wrong with your camry and hills, don't like it downshifting? You just want torque in high gear?

It's an automatic and that certainly doesn't help, it just tanks on the hills and can't get out of its own way.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: dave1251
There are certain GM 3800's I would just stay away from.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/details-of-gm-s-3800-model-engine-recall.html

So I should avoid a car that leaks oil that the dealer will fix for free?

Best of luck to you! You will need it because GM is recalling cars left and right.
You are likely going thru a lot of time, work, hassle and money for a car that is over a decade old.

In my 3800 Series II Firebird, I tend to get 21-23mpg in mixed driving and I have gotten as high as 30mpg on the highway (with the A/C on, doing 70-75). Not bad at all for a big, heavy car. Just watch out for the intake manifold gaskets on the Series II. The transmissions mated to some of the Series IIIs were also pretty iffy, though the engines were nearly perfect.

I have an LSJ and I am looking at going back to the 3800. Never gone back to anything before. The SC models and the NA models will get about the same MPG due to tranny gearing. Buy the car, change out the valve cover gaskets, coolant elbow, U-bend delete and IM gasket. You will learn alot about the car. Look at the Regals. More likely to have been "to and from bingo"ed than a Grand Prix. Honestly, get the SC version. If you are worried about premium fuel a FWI, U-bend delete, colder plugs and a tune should allow you to run 87, and be better on the transmission. The 97 GTP will be cheaper on insurance if you are young as it was only a feature of the GT in 97. In 98 it became it's own model level.

Last edited:
I had an '89 Olds Touring Sedan from new to about 50k. It had lower final gearing for better performance. I got about 16 in town and up to 25-26 on the highway. It could not climb the mountains of N, Georgia and western North Carolina without downshifting (not that that was a problem). I think that year it was rated as 165 hp and super smooth. The SC'd versions ran much better but used more gas. Our particular car was not super reliable for the couple years we had it. We replaced it with a Lexus LS400, which raised our expectations forever reliability and quality wise, though it was not 'fun' to drive.

They are a little boring unless you get the charger pulley and tuned.
I would aim for the latest gen supercharged they scream then under boost
I also did f-body brakes, blisten struts GM handling kit
Any model 3800 platform is built for comfort not handling.
I love the car get's 23mph in severe traffic. simple enough to work on by yourself.
Sometimes I see the appeal of trading up to german luxury car but have a hard time justifying the $$$$
photo42v.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Not a fan of the 3800 engines. Didnt find them very quick maybe more on the outdated side matched with heavy cars. Most of the older cars with 4 cylinders are not very powerful when it comes to hills. I would look at the 3.1L or 3.5 GM engines. Far superior MPG (especially the 3.1) that they put in Buick century's and more enjoyable to drive. Personally I suppose Im one ofthe few who disliked the 3800. Their new 3.6L 305hp engine was certainly quick in the new impala! I averaged 26mpg on it driving it hard. But I suppose you are looking at older models.

I wouldn't consider a GM 3.1

I have experienced more head gasket failures on GM 3.1 engines than any other engine.

I've got a 3800 and agree that it is a great engine. Meaning it has always been quiet on cold starts in January, I have never heard a tick, rattle or ping with this engine now at 231,000 miles. It isn't picky on oil or octane ratings and gives me 27.7 mpg right now in mostly rural driving. 31.5mpg was the highest average over a 400 mile trip, burning no oil. Oil pan has a slight leak using 1/8 qt. over a 5500 mile OCI. I've heard changing oil pan gaskets are a royal pain on the 3800. I'm just leaving it alone.

Overall, a great engine mated to a so-so transmission bolted to a very average car. The 3800 IS the reason I keep this car going. If it had the 3.1L or the 3.4L, it would be someone else's car right now. Honestly.

Well I decided to start driving my aunt's TDI VW. Would have been nice to drive a Buick but the mpg's on this are great

The old GM cars especially the Buicks and Olds are great buys for anyone on a budget. Cheap to buy, good on gas, and most importantly cheap to fix.

Throw in a lot of elderly owners and its not terrible hard to find a nice older one.

They don't carry the price premium of the Japanese cars so you'll be able to get a newer lower mileage example for the same money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back