So much Zucchini this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Ours got powdery mildew something fierce. Neem oil and a severe pruning seemed to slow it, so we're slowly getting more zukes.

Looks really good! I bet it was delicious.

We just began our first horticultural attempt with cayenne peppers. Only six plants, and only one pepper per plant, but that's ok with us.

Any recommendations for cheap, natural pesticides? We've tried soapy water, pepper, etc, but the buggers don't seem to be bothered by it. The leaves are even turning a bit yellow...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

We just began our first horticultural attempt with cayenne peppers. Only six plants, and only one pepper per plant, but that's ok with us.

Any recommendations for cheap, natural pesticides? We've tried soapy water, pepper, etc, but the buggers don't seem to be bothered by it. The leaves are even turning a bit yellow...

You might try food-grade diatomaceous earth. It works well against some insects, not so much against others, so it's kinda hit-or-miss. At least it's fairly cheap... something like $13 for 20 lbs at Tractor Supply.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

First off, what soap to water mixture are you using and how often are you using it? I use one half cup per gallon of water and spray once a week unless it rains, then I spray after every rain.

Secondly, try black pepper and garlic. Simply sprinkle it liberally over and around plants, just make sure to be upwind and wash your hands thoroughly after sprinkling.

Third, have you tried tobacco spray? Take one cigarette and drop it in a gallon jug filled with water. Allow to "brew" in the sun for several hours, (much like sun tea). Strain and pour liquid into hand pump sprayer. DO NOT USE THIS ON TOMATOES AS IT WILL KILL THE TOMATO BUSH.

What you have to remember is that while chemical pesticides kill the bugs, most organic sprays simply make the bug go away as the spray either tastes bad or smells bad. When the rain washes it off, the bugs return.

One other thing about your yellow leaves, what kind of fertilizer are you using? Yellowing leaves is an indication of nutrient deficiency. If you want to stay organic, manure is always a good choice.

Last edited:
Nice picture and zucchini !

I agree it has been a great year for them. Actually our gardens have been doing so well that we have had to donate some of our produce.

The bummer this year was our blueberries, not as great a crop as usual.

But our zucchini and squash have been producing like mad. We started making flour less zucchini pizza which I really like. I'm actually also surprised how well our leafy greens are still producing in the hot.

Can you share your recipe for what was in the picture?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Nice. There is nothing better than eating food today that was growing in your garden yesterday.

X2
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Can you share your recipe for what was in the picture?

Well....

We really dont have a recipe, My wife has been making these forever and mostly its done with whatever we have around at the time.

Yesterday we simply cut the Zuc in half, Used a spoon to scoop out the innards (Save them).

Next we chopped (I keep talking like I was involved!) about 1/4lbs of Prosciutto (Parma, Imported) and also the scooped out Zuc Innards.

Then we finely chopped a tomato, and an onion.

In a large mixing bowl combine everything and add whatever spices. We used only pepper as the prosciutto is salty enough.

Add whatever cheese you like to the mix, we used Grated Romano and Provolone.

Mix it all together.

Put the mixture in the scooped out Zuc halves.

Top with Soft breadcrumbs and more cheese.

Bake until the Zuc is soft, Use a poultry needle to test.

Add more cheese and broil at low until cheese is browned.

We have also made this with Italian sausage and ground turkey with bell peppers.

You really can use whatever you like for the meat part.

The side in my picture is Spaghetti #4 with garlic and olive oil.

Sprinkled over the whole deal is crushed Red Pepper (Hot)

Nice. I just got an prosciutto and mozzarella roll from a local small Italian specialty store. Might chop it up and make a variation. We have a ton of three basil varieties, might make some pesto to go on buckwheat pasta to go with.

Shoot these pics with a 100-ish mm macro? Great pics.

I forgot to mention all the Herbs that you can put in this, We have a lot of Basil as well and my wife just yelled at me for not telling you that she puts it in the mix for the Zuc as well....SORRY...

Great Pics?

Thanks

No Macro here, Just a SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 With a Pentax K-5 IIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back