Lubeguard red or black for addition to a FM ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Say youre already using a highly friction modified ATF - a Toyota T-IV, Mopar ATF +4, etc.

Say you want to add some lubeguard to the fluid to help 'bulk it up', for one reason or another (Syn option is off the table, etc)... It seems that lubeguard black is a 'modifier'to take one fluid's ad pack to another level, while lubeguard red is just an 'enhancer' to bulk up the base oil.

For a DIII fluid or similar, of course we'd only use the red... but for an already FM fluid, would the red be taking a step backwards? Would black make the FM too great?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JMH

No, Red is not a step backwards. Its is HFM'd but not a fluid convertor.

If you want, use it with OEM spec'd fluids.

Black/Platinum might overdose. This is only an issue if the parameters in the TCM can't compensate. Keep the dose under 1 ounce per quart and monitor shift feel.

Why is synthetic ATF 'off the table'?

Throwing additional FMs in the mix is likely to result in too much slippage and accelerated clutch pack wear. If you plan on using the automaker's designated ATF, stay with Lubegard Red as stabilizer/protectant. Lubegard Black is intended to convert "universal" Dexron III fluids to compatibility with proprietary automaker ATFs. If you're still confused, READ Lubegard's recommendations on their website. (Hint: Lubegard doesn't even advise adding "Black" to a proprietary ATF.)

(Dexron III does have FMs, by the way - in a treat intended for Turbohydramatics and other automatics with similar clutch facing materials. The only ATF I'm aware of with minimal or no FMs is Ford Type F - essentially what B&M "TrickShift" is.)

Red= Use with correct fluid that already meets specs. (Example: Use with Dexron-III, T-IV, ATF+4, etc)

Black= Use with Dexron-III(H) to make T-IV, ATF+4, SP-III, or Honda Z1, or Dexron-VI to make Toyota WS.

Green= Use with Dexron-III(H) to make Mercon-V, or Dexron-VI to make Mercon-SP.

Platinum= Services the purpose of Red/Black/Green.

I see it's available at oreillys,mits 13 a bottle, is it available anywhere else for a cheaper price? Walmart and meijer don't seem to have it

Originally Posted By: Ray H
Throwing additional FMs in the mix is likely to result in too much slippage and accelerated clutch pack wear. If you plan on using the automaker's designated ATF, stay with Lubegard Red as stabilizer/protectant. Lubegard Black is intended to convert "universal" Dexron III fluids to compatibility with proprietary automaker ATFs. If you're still confused, READ Lubegard's recommendations on their website. (Hint: Lubegard doesn't even advise adding "Black" to a proprietary ATF.)

(Dexron III does have FMs, by the way - in a treat intended for Turbohydramatics and other automatics with similar clutch facing materials. The only ATF I'm aware of with minimal or no FMs is Ford Type F - essentially what B&M "TrickShift" is.)

Well stated!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i add it just as i add tranny fluid, thru the dipstick, correct?

can i use maxlife mercon lv with a ford that requires mercon v?

NO....do not use Mercon VI....for a Ford that requires Mercon V.

FYI, In my last ATF change out, I added 1 oz. of Lubegard Red per quart of Mercon V. No issues...it worked beautifully.

can i add it every year? will its properties fade away? it helped my transmission but now, after about a year, my transmission is acting like it did before i added the lubegard red, so can i add it again, or is that not good and act like an "overdose?"

or maybe i'll do a drain and fill with maxlife atf, and then add lubegard red. can it mix with the maxlife, and add about half a bottle?

Originally Posted By: engineer2
....do [another] drain and fill with maxlife atf, and then add [a full 10-oz bottle of] lubegard red.

+1

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hi,

Say youre already using a highly friction modified ATF - a Toyota T-IV, Mopar ATF +4, etc.

Say you want to add some lubeguard to the fluid to help 'bulk it up', for one reason or another (Syn option is off the table, etc)... It seems that lubeguard black is a 'modifier'to take one fluid's ad pack to another level, while lubeguard red is just an 'enhancer' to bulk up the base oil.

For a DIII fluid or similar, of course we'd only use the red... but for an already FM fluid, would the red be taking a step backwards? Would black make the FM too great?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JMH

Personally I wouldn't add anything. ATF performance packages are a very carefully balanced mix of components designed to meet a given set of performance requirements. Addition of other chemicals may well upset that balance and have a detrimental effect.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Personally I wouldn't add anything.

I wouldn't either. Besides, ATF+4 is a high-quality fluid on its own.

Is there any data that these additives actually extend the life of the transmission?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Is there any data that these additives actually extend the life of the transmission?

Don't hold your breath. When DEXIII was the universal ATF lubeguard may of been useful. In 2015 I do not have the faith that our lubeguard brethren do.

I have faith and add Lubegard to ALL ATFs.

I do wish that they would simple sell the LXE base to consumers.

If your transmission is performing OK, I wouldn't add anything to the fluid.If you want to buid up the additive pack, why not do a fluid and filter change.

Is there a lubegard or lubegard equivalent for cvts such as for the rogue I referred to? With so many cvts esp in japanese autos, whereas the domestics seem to use multi speed automatics where there's more and more gears, the japanese are using cvts, so what about for cvts and can' you add lubegard or is there a lubegard for cvt transmissions? Namely nissan but also for the new honda, toyota, and subarus, and on jeeps?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

No.

Lubegard Red contains a few extra anti-oxidants, phos and esters.

It can help clean varnish from valving and actuators and condition seals in a neglected transmission, but there is no documented evidence of any additive extending transmission life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back