AUDI Q7 passenger tail light

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tail light is cracked and I am looking for less expensive places to buy a replacement. The dealer wants $240.00 and says it is original, NOT made by Hella, but made by AUDI. There are e vendors that sell Hella. Can anyone tell me that Hella in fact makes these? Or am I going to have non matching tail light assemblies?

What year is it? and is it the upper or the lower? And yes they are made by Hella, for Audi.

Last edited:
It could be made by Hella, if Audi is like Ford they generally do not disclose their parts vendors to dealer parts personnel. We can make assumptions when warranty parts are called back for inspection or when direct ship parts show up from a vendor, but generally that is it.

2009. The entire housing is red; no orange/clear lens. I haven't eyeballed the imprint on the tailight with a magnifying lens yet, but I could've sworn the letters H E L L A were there in addition to the OOOO of Audi.
And then some checkerboard pattern with numbers in some of the squares. Like a cataloging system. I think I saw that inside a housing of the headlights.

Last edited:
It sounds like your describing the upper tail light. You can probably get it from worldpac for about 1/3 less than the Stealer.

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
My tail light is cracked and I am looking for less expensive places to buy a replacement. The dealer wants $240.00 and says it is original, NOT made by Hella, but made by AUDI. There are e vendors that sell Hella. Can anyone tell me that Hella in fact makes these? Or am I going to have non matching tail light assemblies?

your dealership is wrong.

They may have audi markings on it, but it is made by a supplier (Hella and Bosch/AL are big tail light suppliers for VAG)

$240... sounds like the older style (non-LEDs) to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whizbyu

It's very possible they're made by Hella. My old Audi had their housings. The OEM parts rarely have the manufacturer name stamped on them, but some do if you know where to look.

I can tell you that Audi does not make them, though. The dealership guys are typically not well-informed on these kinds of things.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I can tell you that Audi does not make them, though. The dealership guys are typically not well-informed on these kinds of things.

People don't believe when I say that for the most part we aren't. We can sometimes tell based on when parts do ship direct from the manufacturer, or a warranty part is shipped to the OEM supplied for inspection. It is not an exclusive thing for each part, Ford spark plugs will come from Autolite, NGK, or Denso. I have sent Powerstroke turbos to Caterpillar for inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back