Mechanic Crushed To Death By Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the time to watch the video. Sounds like he was a hard working guy, and maybe took a chance and cut corners on safety because he was in a rush.

Really sad.
I've had a jack fail once, on pavement, years ago.
That was enough to convinve me never to get under a car supported with only a jack.
On grass?
Foolish, but it really is too bad that it cost this young man his life.

Very sad. A lot of good people I know here in WNY do the same as him -- work long hours for little pay trying to get an auto business off the ground.

Yep I saw this on the news too. It's sad, but unfortunately he wasn't thinking safety. A lot of people don't think safety... just rush rush rush
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Skid
"The man had jacked up a Lincoln Town Car on grass..."

I can't tell from the sentence construction. Was the man on grass or was the car on grass?

That goes to show you that the ivy league journalist that won't the story, never turned a wrench in his life.

Once I was almost killed like that long time ago when I was young and stupid. I lifted a car and placed on cinder blocks. The blocks somehow crumbled under the wait after a while. I was not under the car art the moment. One of several times I avoided death by chance.

very sad, made worse because it was very preventable.. unlike many other accidents.

RIP. Scary.

I really don't get it why shops with lifts insist in jacking up cars (often improperly) with hydraulic jacks. Yeah, sure, a car can fall off a lift too, but the other side of the hydraulic jack issue is that they always scuff or damage the underside of the car, so it's a bad move regardless.

This guy should have known better, but it's still sad.

It is sad anytime something like this happens. We have all done things that could have killed us at some point. A friend of mine lost her husband last year the very same way. He was crushed by a Chevy Malibu. He had worked on cars his whole life and surely he knew better but was probably in a hurry or something. A friend of mine lost a cousin in a strange way also. He heard a strange noise and popped the hood on his truck to check it out. A piece of the fan blade broke off and flew up and cut his jugular and killed him before help could get there. Stories like this are a good reminder to enjoy life. We never know how long we have.

So many ways to get badly hurt working on a car...burned, cut, shocked, crushed, etc. Too many people don't fully get it. Working on cars is very dangerous if you cut corners safety-wise.

Last edited:
A guy I grew up with was killed recently when working on a truck. Nobody knows for sure but it appeared as though he jacked it up and was placing the jackstands under it when it slipped off the jack. I simply want to remind all of us to take a good look at where the jack is and if it is sitting on a solid area. It never hurts to grab the bumper and shake the car to make sure it seems solid.

Tragic situation.

My guess is that the guy was in a hurry, tired, and needed to get the work done. People make mistakes, we can thank this guy for helping to remind the rest of us, don't cut corners when it comes to safety, you might not have a "next time" to get lucky.

I always use jack stands, and leave the floor jack at another lift point lowered just below the point of contact. As a safety back up.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I took the time to watch the video. Sounds like he was a hard working guy, and maybe took a chance and cut corners on safety because he was in a rush.

Yup, I see a garage bay, he probably had a bigger project in there and was waiting on parts or whatever.

When I worked in a 7 bay tire store they loved to have us bring a car in and put it on a lift to make a diagnosis, and to keep the customer from leaving before we got to fixing it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's all it says? No more details than that?

It had just happened when I posted that...

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

Yeah, he was. I guess he was trying to start a legitimate shop that was fully equipped and wasn't that far from getting it...

Originally Posted By: redhat
Very sad. A lot of good people I know here in WNY do the same as him -- work long hours for little pay trying to get an auto business off the ground.

True. It is a dangerous occupation that does not get the credit it's due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back