I Don't Change My Oil - Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Friends,

I have gotten my test results back on my motor oil. As some of you know, I don't change my oil anymore, I just change the filter. What my test results show, it that my theories are wildly correct. Namely, those theories are:

The key to clean oil (at least in my case) is change your filter a lot and keep the oil topped off. The result is the oil stays clean and viable like new. There is no reason for me to dump the oil pan again. It matters not if I dump the pan at 3k, 17k, 25k, or 50k miles... the results would almost be the same.

Here is the background letter sent to Blackstone, you'll have to join the Hyundai-forums website to see the pdf, since I don't know how to attach it here. Click link and join:

“To:
Blackstone Labs
416 E. Pettit Ave
Fort Wayne, IN 46806

July 17th, 2014

Hi there, how are you?

This oil is my experiment in mega-extended oil. It currently has 51,000 miles spanning more than 3 years methinks. The purpose of the testing is test the viability of the oil, as opposed to testing the viability of the motor in normal oil testing. The wear-metal content is a secondary consideration, although useful to know.

The oil used is a soup of various synthetic oils, later changing to Super Tech High Mileage.... mostly 5w-30 oils. Filters were cheap Super Tech, and later cheap Purolator. Engine burns/leaks about 1 quart every 4K. Filters were changed “when I thought it looks dirty” at about 3K.

This oil represents the worst possible state I think it's ever been in, since I used this filter change cycle to pull my over-weight boat quite often.... reducing my MPG almost 50%. In other words, this batch was used HARD. This sample was taken from the filter, and the experiment continued.

So I will do the full range of tests... Wear-metal and TAN. I believe the cost you charge for all that is $35. I believe this oil is clean and viable, what I worry about is acid content, thus the TAN test. I'm not worried about TBN since I know it gets a constant flow of fresh oil... it's “looks clean” anyways.

If this oil tests okay, I'll be shooting for 100k for my next test.

See ya, John”

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/179-j2-199...st-results.html

If someone can tell me how to attach the report here, I'll gladly do it. Or if someone can do it for me, I'll email you the report. Send me a PM for my email.

Last edited:
35.gif

A quart per 4k.

I suspect the results would be very different if the vehicle used no oil whatsoever.

But do UOA tell the entire story.

Isn't it possible that there is sludge a plenty in this engine but the oil in the sump is still giving good UOA results.

Not for me.

But good luck to the OP.

Before I retired, I worked with a youn guy(23) who never changed the oil in his '00 S-10 Xtreme. He just added oil. He didn't care about this little pickup(too bad) and he was actually very mechanicaly savy.

"When it dies, it dies!" he says. He currenty has over 40k miles on the current coal/muck that's in the crank case and he runs the(you know what) out of the truck...bald tire & all!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you adding oil on a regular basis, you're doing a "perpetual" oil change and the odd filter changes is all that is needed.

That's exactly right. It's always clean. Never has a chance to get dirty.

Originally Posted By: DSparks
Give us a peak under the valve cover I dare ya...

There's no gunk in there. Gunk is well filtered, there's always a continuous flow of new TBNs.

I've been tempted to do the same thing with my girlfriend's winter beater, the 1999 Grand Am. It burns about 1 quart every 1,500 miles or so. I've been contemplating just topping it off and changing the filter once every year. When it used to be a daily driver, I would usually top it off once or twice and change it at around 5,000 miles, but seeing this report makes me think that's a bit of a waste.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you adding oil on a regular basis, you're doing a "perpetual" oil change and the odd filter changes is all that is needed.

This. Someone else did a similar test years ago. But they were putting oil in more frequently than 1 quart every 4k miles, and their oil held up just fine because they were constantly replenishing the additives. I remember they had a whole series of UOAs to show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back