The Wild Arizona Dust Storms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a fantastic strong thunderstorm here in Tucson this evening, about an hour ago. Heavy rain, high winds (50mph+ gusts), & lightning.
Dropped the temperature from 102 down below 70 out east. Lasted less than 30 minutes. Now the air is clear and sweet smelling.

It was the best rain I've seen here since last summer.

Gary

Another thunderstorm today. This one knocked out power for over an hour. Not cool at all, the temperature in the house was over 90F it felt like we were in a berthing compartment of an Arleigh Burke Class DDG with no refers.

I was going out for a walk at 5:20pm and got about 50 yards from the house. I could see to the south something was going on. I came out from under a tree and had a view to the east. There was a huge half dome of a dust storm and I knew what I saw to the south was part of it. I turned around in my tracks and about 20 yards from the house the wind hit. I was barely inside a minute before the dust storm arrived. Palm and mesquite trees waving around. Birds getting blown up, down, and sideways as they tried to get to sanctuary. We only just got a few drops of rain, though, about 10 minutes ago. I can't wait for a real downpour. Everything needs a good wash.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The storms come fast and furious. At least the storm has provided some relief from the heat.

Same thing here in Mesa. Last night we had wind and thunder, but no rain. However this morning the thermometer in carport was showing below 80, so at least the storm (minus the rain) did bring relief from the heat.

Luckily I've been out of state all week in Montana and have escaped the heat and dust storms.

What's not so lucky is I'll be back today

We are getting hammered here is central AZ. Flooding all over. I watched live TV as I-17 N-bound lanes got flooded from a wash overflowing. Rural town of New River reported 4" of rain since the storm started and a wash was at 9'.

Live feed on YT: http://www.fox10phoenix.com/

This is supposed to go on over the next couple of days.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
We got another close to 30 minute shower again tonight. I do not know what is happening but this is nice! Some weather stations reported .25 of a inch. Which is quite a bit around here.
thats what she said!

So there was a dust storm last night. Just this morning we got 5.04" of rain so far. The freeways are flooded. Dave- how's maricopa?

This is I-10 at 43rd Ave...

1410186229000-phxdc5-6gyewtipq3cmkpr1k6v_original.jpg

1410186969001-phxdc5-6gyez5kd9s812mr0gk6v_original.jpg

Most school districts cancelled school. I go to Phoenix College. All 10 of the Maricopa Community Colleges were cancelled today.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Most school districts cancelled school. I go to Phoenix College. All 10 of the Maricopa Community Colleges were cancelled today.

My wife works as a aid at a local charter school that my two youngest attend. My wife was upset that her charter school was the only school in the area that did not cancel school. My oldest and two nieces enjoyed not having school yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back