Need ideas on a part time job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I'm about to quit my day job. Have one part time job lined up (as a BMW technician in a BMW performance shop), and am looking for a 2nd part time gig. I've just confirmed that I can go back to the previous job at a cell phone retailer (that I used to be the #1 store manager of in the state) as a part time sales associate.

Experience in:
diesel maintenance
automotive
formerly ASE certified, went to UTI, etc., can fix [censored] near anything, especially electrical diagnostics & drivability troubleshooting - my specialty
retail sales, management, commission sales
training

I went something fun, and am not afraid of a challenge. DO NOT want high pressure sales, like those [censored] in the mall kiosks, car sales, etc. Flexible schedule is a plus, and don't need a lot of hours (variable is fine, 20-25 average). I can find stuff thats hr all day long, but would love to see whats out there that may pay in the $10-$15/hr range (or more) thats a part time gig. I'm sure there's a whole world out there thats simply not available to people who need full-time jobs.

Last edited:
with such impressive background and experiences, I imagine it shouldn't be all that difficult to find any P/T jobs that pay more than min. state hourly pay rate.

Hexk! I would look for P/T jobs that pay at least 25 or more....

Q.

Maybe find a Biomed Association in your part of GA (medical equipment repair / calibration / testing ) and see if they need a part-timer to help out with PM's in the evening or a few hours on Saturday.

If you have electronics / troubleshooting experience it will be even better.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
UPS or FedEx?

Apparently they aren't paying as much as they used to these days
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why do you plan on quitting your job ?

It's a long story, but here's the short version. I'm just simply burnt out from corporate retail management. Tired of the [censored], drama, politics, and long hours away from my family, let alone even being able to service my own vehicles. I'm in the planning and purchasing stages of starting up my own small shop next summer, but I'm not there yet. I'm OK with pushing that back a bit if I have a better quality of life now, while still acquiring equipment. Besides, a bit of variety or diversity will do me good. Might yield me more clientele anyways
smile.gif

I guess I don't quite understand this. If you are a skilled mechanic you should be popular. If you don't want to conflict with the BMW job I would consider being a home shadetree mechanic that specializes in older Volvo's ONLY. 240 series are going up in value, 850 and V70 are very cheap but good (but flaky) cars that can't be taken to dealer cost wise. Lots of nice folks have and keep old 240's, and many new / used parts sources exist. Hope you don't live in an apartment, but you can get regular clients built up.People will put a significant amount of $$ in an old 240 because they like it - I don't think thats true of older but boring cars.If you get a rep. I can see people bringing a 240 significant distance and leaving it for a month or more. THIS IS POTENTIAL long term, and cash only translates into a relatively high salary.

As a "part time" job my wife and I started a cemetery mapping company 3 years ago. We do 3-4 cemeteries each summer.

We make the proposal to an area township each fall-most don't have their cemetery records computerized. This gives them time to discuss and get the budget ready. Then the following spring/summer we spend a few weekend mornings out in the cemeteries comparing what is on the headstones to what is on the records that they currently have. Once we have it on paper we put it into a custom software program that I wrote. It gives them better layout information, mapping, plot status and availability, and the software can also print deeds.

There is canned software available, but I elected to write my own in Access.

We get to work with some very nice people, we get to set the hours we work, we get to get up close to some very interesting history, we get to work in an area that is always beautiful and quiet, we get to work together on a fun project, and it's made us a lot of money. We could easily be booked 3 years out, or turn it into a full-time business if we wanted. But we're having too much fun just doing it part-time.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Auto parts store? I can see you as a p/t assistant manager.

X2.

Parts stores like part time employees because there is no risk of having to pay overtime, and they don't have to offer benefits. Being willing to work less desireable shifts like Sundays and closing shifts will make you appealing to them too.

With your experience, they would probably offer at least $10 an hour to start.

This is an odd-shot, but what about residential pool service? It's amazing what my neighbor pays and the poor service he gets. I diagnosed a faulty seal the guy missed, the neighbor bought the part, we installed it and I got some piece and quiet. Pools are much simplier than cars, are electrical/mechanical/fluid/chemical systems that require regular maintainence + you don't need a license. You already know how to diagnose and troubleshoot.

Or since you're already a mechanic, I'm guessing you also work on air-conditioning. What about residential HVAC work?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Auto parts store? I can see you as a p/t assistant manager.

X2.

Parts stores like part time employees because there is no risk of having to pay overtime, and they don't have to offer benefits. Being willing to work less desireable shifts like Sundays and closing shifts will make you appealing to them too.

With your experience, they would probably offer at least $10 an hour to start.

I thought I stated in the OP, but I guess I didn't, sorry - I'm already a store manager with one of the big parts store chains. It's [censored], and they do NOT pay ANY part timer $10/hr. The most I'm allowed to hire ANY p/t position is $8.50/hr. There is no such thing as a p/t assistant manager.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
This is an odd-shot, but what about residential pool service? It's amazing what my neighbor pays and the poor service he gets. I diagnosed a faulty seal the guy missed, the neighbor bought the part, we installed it and I got some piece and quiet. Pools are much simplier than cars, are electrical/mechanical/fluid/chemical systems that require regular maintainence + you don't need a license. You already know how to diagnose and troubleshoot.

Or since you're already a mechanic, I'm guessing you also work on air-conditioning. What about residential HVAC work?

You know - a good friend owns a pool business. Seems cool, I've spent a few days working for him over the years. I could get down with it, but a few things come to mind immediately. He IS a good friend, therefore, I don't even want to try to compete with him, even with his blessing. I can't swim, so it's truthfully a bit dangerous for me to do. I can do AC work, but automotive only. I took the residential test, and passed all 3 tests - missed 3 questions on the core test though, so I only have my automotive license. I suppose I could re-test for the residential/commercial though, I didn't back then because I was a broke UTI student, and the $75 for a test I failed was hard enough to swallow at the time.

Maybe find a Biomed Association in your part of GA (medical equipment repair / calibration / testing ) and see if they need a part-timer to help out with PM's in the evening or a few hours on Saturday.

If you have electronics / troubleshooting experience it will be even better.

Interesting, I've never heard of this. I'll try to investigate that more. Any idea what the pay is like? Thanks so much!

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I guess I don't quite understand this. If you are a skilled mechanic you should be popular. If you don't want to conflict with the BMW job I would consider being a home shadetree mechanic that specializes in older Volvo's ONLY. 240 series are going up in value, 850 and V70 are very cheap but good (but flaky) cars that can't be taken to dealer cost wise. Lots of nice folks have and keep old 240's, and many new / used parts sources exist. Hope you don't live in an apartment, but you can get regular clients built up.People will put a significant amount of $$ in an old 240 because they like it - I don't think thats true of older but boring cars.If you get a rep. I can see people bringing a 240 significant distance and leaving it for a month or more. THIS IS POTENTIAL long term, and cash only translates into a relatively high salary.

Oh, I DO plan to start taking on more of the sidework that I've been turning down over the years. Popular is relative though. I've had to turn down so much work because I've been SO busy with my 'real job' that some of those clientele have wandered off to others. Will take some time to re-create that part of business. Just made $260 last week dropping, re-sealing, and re-installing an E46 rear diff. Have a HG jo9b coming up on an M3, even though I've tried to tell the guy the head is more than likely cracked (#6 full of water), and with a ~200k S50, he's really better off just putting a lower mileage S52 into the car. What do I know though, I'll take his money, then show him the cracked head when I pull it.....

I have NO interest in 240's. I get emails almost DAILY about people wanting an LS motor mount kit for a 240. I've said the same thing to every single one of them: Bring me a 240, and an LS, and I'll build a mount kit. To date, nobody has taken me up on the offer. I refuse to build one because 240 owners are a bunch of cheapasses who don't even want to pay what the materials cost would be for a well engineered set of mounts. I've done a few surveys over the past few years gauging interest at different pricepoints. It's simply not worth the effort. Sadly, the online Volvo community sucks (at least the older volvos), and thats why there's nothing out there fort them in the aftermarket. I'm actually selling my LS swapped 960 that was the development car for the V8Volvos 700/700 LS motor mount kit once I get a few other things squared away, and finish the BBK for it and start delivering those.

KenO,

Is your wife OK about you quitting and career change ?

Single - never married - no kids
smile.gif
Allows me to be much more flexible, and do whats best for me.

I like the cemetery idea, but it's not really something I would want to do. Keep the ideas coming guys, and thank you! I'm really looking for something outside the box.

Last edited:
Biomed starts in the low $20's an hour at the company I work for. I was a Biomed in the Air Force, then GE field service for a many years, now quality & compliance.

There's many modalities in medical equipment today that are high end such as robotics, imaging, cardiac, laboratory, etc which pay well. Find the Biomed Society in your area and attend their monthly meeting, they have food/drinks and various manufacturers at the meetings so you can network. You can also read up about this field in 24x7 magazine, also TechNation magazine.

Without advanced medical equipment and Biomeds... healthcare would still be in the dark ages.

Hit up the auto service shops in the area. Tell them your credentials and that you want part time work (i.e., no benefits).

Originally Posted By: strat81
Hit up the auto service shops in the area. Tell them your credentials and that you want part time work (i.e., no benefits).

Ehh, maybe, but I'm already doing 1 automotive gig. This is the time where I want to try to take advantage of being able to do something different, out of the ordinary. Example: I'm instructing at an exotic car driving experience this saturday in Atlanta with Imagine Lifestyles. I make $150/day to sit in Lambo's & Ferrari's all day, and occasionally drive them when somebody pays for what they call a 'pro drive'.

Last edited:
What about residential home inspector? Depends on your knowledge of construction, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and having a keen eye for detail...and when something looks FUBAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back