Fords new 2.7 vs Chevy 5.3 vs Dodge 3.0 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Why do some seem to discount completely Fords testing?

I don't think anyone is "completely discounting" Ford's testing. If they hit it out of the park here, good for them.

But a little healthy caution is not unreasonable. They're dropping very small displacement engines into full-size trucks -- not a subcompact pocket rocket -- and blowing the heck out of them, to do what a much larger V-8 had to. That's not something that's been done before.

All new engines should pull strong. But three or four years in the field is not enough time or enough miles in my opinion to judge long-term durability in that application.

You may be too young to remember, but GM's V-8 diesels in the '70 were "tested", too. So label me cautious when I don't blindly accept everything a manufacturer claims.

Let me put it to you another way. If you are staring at two used 2014 commercial trucks seven years from now, both with 200,000 hard miles on them, one has a Chevy 5.3, the other has an Ecoboost 2.7, and all else being equal (including what was invested on maintenance), which one are you going to have less concern about buying?

The historical rap on turbocharged gasoline engines is that they are more maintenance and repair prone and are ultimately not as durable as their NA counterparts. Running one in heavy-duty use exasperates those old issues. Maybe Ford figured out all the problems to overcome these decades-old realities. They would be the first to do so.

Not too parrot others, but the early buyers are doing us all a favor. There is something to be said for the bleeding edge.

That's where I am at with these trucks. Sure, Ford tested it. It will also have problems. Just because manufacturers test something doesn't mean they ironed out everything. My concern is the problems this truck could potentially have are likely to be much more expensive and complex to repair than problems on a simpler, naturally aspirated pickup that isn't trying to replace displacement with boost.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Why do some seem to discount completely Fords testing?

I don't think anyone is "completely discounting" Ford's testing. If they hit it out of the park here, good for them.

But a little healthy caution is not unreasonable. They're dropping very small displacement engines into full-size trucks -- not a subcompact pocket rocket -- and blowing the heck out of them, to do what a much larger V-8 had to. That's not something that's been done before.

All new engines should pull strong. But three or four years in the field is not enough time or enough miles in my opinion to judge long-term durability in that application.

You may be too young to remember, but GM's V-8 diesels in the '70 were "tested", too. So label me cautious when I don't blindly accept everything a manufacturer claims.

Let me put it to you another way. If you are staring at two used 2014 commercial trucks seven years from now, both with 200,000 hard miles on them, one has a Chevy 5.3, the other has an Ecoboost 2.7, and all else being equal (including what was invested on maintenance), which one are you going to have less concern about buying?

The historical rap on turbocharged gasoline engines is that they are more maintenance and repair prone and are ultimately not as durable as their NA counterparts. Running one in heavy-duty use exasperates those old issues. Maybe Ford figured out all the problems to overcome these decades-old realities. They would be the first to do so.

Not too parrot others, but the early buyers are doing us all a favor. There is something to be said for the bleeding edge.

That's where I am at with these trucks. Sure, Ford tested it. It will also have problems. Just because manufacturers test something doesn't mean they ironed out everything. My concern is the problems this truck could potentially have are likely to be much more expensive and complex to repair than problems on a simpler, naturally aspirated pickup that isn't trying to replace displacement with boost.

A port injected 5.0 4V is available.

They're dropping very small displacement engines into full-size trucks -- not a subcompact pocket rocket -- and blowing the heck out of them, to do what a much larger V-8 had to. That's not something that's been done before.

I dono, trucks of the past had 4.9 I6's, 5.0 V8's, and 351 V8's that made less power than the trucks of today.

I've datalogged mine via the Torque app and they are not "blown the heck out of", but in a normal day spend very little time in major boost. Now I'm not towing yet but even then I have a hard time believing it will be running it's full 16PSI a lot of the time. They boost and non-boost just like every other engine.

Quote:

Considering that Chevy 5.3 is the first year GM did direct injection and may have the AFM I'd say it's a wash. And no matter what I'd be saving for a new engine. When I was looking for trucks, before I went newer, many of the Fords with 175-200k that had the venerable 5.4 or 351 featured "new engines". And those are low stress V8's...

Last edited:
On the displacement front, 2.7 liters + 1 atm. of boost is just about 5.3 liters. Chevy is making a bigger engine smaller with the AFM system and Ford is making a smaller engine larger by turbocharging it. Which is better? A lot depends on the duty cycles their owners will subject them to. I wonder what the relative weights of the powerplants are; each pound of weight is a tankful of gas per 100k miles ,IIRC.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
They're dropping very small displacement engines into full-size trucks -- not a subcompact pocket rocket -- and blowing the heck out of them, to do what a much larger V-8 had to. That's not something that's been done before.

I dono, trucks of the past had 4.9 I6's, 5.0 V8's, and 351 V8's that made less power than the trucks of today.

I've datalogged mine via the Torque app and they are not "blown the heck out of", but in a normal day spend very little time in major boost. Now I'm not towing yet but even then I have a hard time believing it will be running it's full 16PSI a lot of the time. They boost and non-boost just like every other engine.

Quote:

Considering that Chevy 5.3 is the first year GM did direct injection and may have the AFM I'd say it's a wash. And no matter what I'd be saving for a new engine. When I was looking for trucks, before I went newer, many of the Fords with 175-200k that had the venerable 5.4 or 351 featured "new engines". And those are low stress V8's...

Note that 'blown' engines are being pressurized from a negative value. If the engine cruises at 50 mph at 12 inches of vacuum then it can be 'boosting' at 0 inches. The Egoboosters need the turbo all the time, only the 3.5 can really do much of anything in a 4-5 thousand pound vehicle without positive manifold pressure. And it won't be much until it gets some.

Since we routinely get more than 200k out of our fleet trucks in one of the most severe duty cycles (usually far more, just sold one with 500k miles) it is indeed yet to be seen if ANY blown modern engine can last that long in real work trucks.

From 2014 comparo in C&D:

"By now you should know that this EcoBoost prioritizes Boost over Eco. The EPA rates the Ford’s fuel economy even with the Ram’s and slightly worse than the Chevy’s. That all three of our trucks averaged 13 mpg over 500 miles of mixed terrain indicates two things: We used full throttle more frequently than was strictly necessary, and the EcoBoost V-6 is like a V-8 in essentially every respect, except it doesn’t sound as good."

"From the moment you hop way up into the cabin—it was the one truck here without side steps—and close the door . . . oh, wait, why is the door flapping like that? The same thing happens when you close the hood; the attached front grille jiggles in a way so shocking that, if you’re like us, you’ll open the hood and slam it another time just to see it happen again. And again. Others will wince."

"It doesn't necessarily mean that the Ford is cheap. It doesn’t mean the thing will be any less durable than if it were less flappy. But it sure doesn’t leave you with a high-quality impression, either. And, compared with the other two trucks, the F-150 rides a little more like an old truck. Jittery. Shaky."

Then you factor in Ford's warranty. Only 60k miles!

Here's the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...comparison-test

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

A port injected 5.0 4V is available.

Now THERE's an engine I like!

Me too.

Note that 'blown' engines are being pressurized from a negative value. If the engine cruises at 50 mph at 12 inches of vacuum then it can be 'boosting' at 0 inches. The Egoboosters need the turbo all the time, only the 3.5 can really do much of anything in a 4-5 thousand pound vehicle without positive manifold pressure. And it won't be much until it gets some.

I can dig up my logs - I've got them somehwere. The EB uses a speed density system and I was monitoring MAP which would be boost/vacuum. It was at vacuum and I saw it climb to the max once or twice but it was not in boost all the time.

Oh, and I think you should check the weight on the Taurus SHO (4388 lb) and Explorer Sport (4882 lb), or Flex (4828 lb). All of which are close to the F150 (4935-5731 lb). All of which are available with the 3.5L NA engine. So, yes there will be less power when not in boost but I'd bet power would still be on par with the old 4.9 I6 or 5.0 V8 until boost comes on.

I can dig up my logs - I've got them somehwere. The EB uses a speed density system and I was monitoring MAP which would be boost/vacuum. It was at vacuum and I saw it climb to the max once or twice but it was not in boost all the time.

Oh, and I think you should check the weight on the Taurus SHO (4388 lb) and Explorer Sport (4882 lb), or Flex (4828 lb). All of which are close to the F150 (4935-5731 lb). All of which are available with the 3.5L NA engine. So, yes there will be less power when not in boost but I'd bet power would still be on par with the old 4.9 I6 or 5.0 V8 until boost comes on.

Yeah, the F150 is getting long in the tooth. It's the oldest of the bunch by a long shot. I notice the jidder when I shut the door as well as the hood bounce. Ram needs a long warranty with their lack of quality, and GM has done 100k for a while. Sure Ford probably could step it up there too. But it's not out of line with the rest of the industry as a whole.

Last edited:
Considering that Chevy 5.3 is the first year GM did direct injection and may have the AFM I'd say it's a wash. . .

Well, Chevy pretty much ironed out the AFM system by '10. GDI by itself is not going to kill an engine.

I think the other poster had it right. GM is doing it by shaving displacement, Ford by blowing smaller displacement. I think between the two systems, GM's has much less to maintain or go wrong. And I can completely disable AFM with an OBD2 plug or ECM tune. You really can't disable Ecoboost and have a useable vehicle.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not a GM groupie or a Ford hater on this. I do have a Chevy 5.3 truck. It has warts. But we also have gas turbos, diesels and big German V8s. I'm not a fan of any particular setup over the others. They all have their pros and cons. Pick your poison. But they are all well-matched to their vehicles and intended uses.

Dropping an EB into a car that is only going to haul itself and a few people is no big deal -- and very conventional. But dropping one this small into a larger truck that may be pulling substantial GVWs is really doubling down on durability.

Unless you are going to beat the tar out of it, a larger displacement NA V-8 should last well beyond 250k in a 1/2 ton truck with sensible maintenance. That is pretty much "settled science" as some like to say.

So if you really are looking to buy new soon, then either be prepared for the possibilities at higher mileage if you go with an EB 2.7 truck, go with a more mature/conventional power train, or wait a little longer to see if this new truck engine approach really proves out at higher mileages.

. . . "From the moment you hop way up into the cabin—it was the one truck here without side steps—and close the door . . . oh, wait, why is the door flapping like that? The same thing happens when you close the hood; the attached front grille jiggles in a way so shocking that, if you’re like us, you’ll open the hood and slam it another time just to see it happen again. And again. Others will wince."

They all have their shortcomings. The hood on our '11 'Hoe flutters at highway speeds, and the doors are not exactly bank vault massive. The weight is used elsewhere, where it gets the job done.

S-Class Mercedes these trucks are not.

You missed it. Even if the manifold pressure reads 2 inches of vacuum it can be partially airflow from the turbo that got it there. It may read 8 inches vac on the same vehicle with the same size NA engine under the same conditions. My point was that even without positive manifold pressure the turbo may still be assisting the engine. It doesn't only happen at the plus side of the gauge. This is also a function of throttle programming.

Most of these engines have very small turbines allowing for boost at very low engine speeds and very small throttle openings. This means they are almost always "on" the turbo. Neither bad nor good.

Regarding warranty, I cannot speak to the details of Dodges, but I can tell you that GM gives me 100k roadside assistance, 100k drivetrain, and 4 free services. Those are worth real money, heck they will even bring me a gallon of fuel if I run out or unlock the door!

When the Ford seems to be always one of the most expensive, is there any reason their warranty shouldn't be more competitive? It is most definitely NOT on par with the industry as a whole. At least in the world of trucks...

The warranty thing is incredibly important AND, I always factor that in to my purchases.

I purchased an F150 at a serious discount. I then extended the warranty to 100K, 8 years via a discounted Ford plan (about $800 for the ext powertrain warr) . Grand total was less than purchasing a Dodge or Chevy, AT THE TIME. Those deals may no longer exist.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The warranty thing is incredibly important AND, I always factor that in to my purchases.

I purchased an F150 at a serious discount. I then extended the warranty to 100K, 8 years via a discounted Ford plan (about $800 for the ext powertrain warr) . Grand total was less than purchasing a Dodge or Chevy, AT THE TIME. Those deals may no longer exist.

Yep, and such a deal. Dealers can 'sweeten' things with a little warranty action, they want the deal they'll always find a way. Coverage details can also vary a lot.

We will drive the new Al Ford before we make up our mind. If the warranty cost is still that low at purchase that certainly would not be a deal breaker. My Wife is hard on a vehicle, and frequently is on roads that aren't even on a map. Home health is tough on cars and trucks...

You missed it. Even if the manifold pressure reads 2 inches of vacuum it can be partially airflow from the turbo that got it there. It may read 8 inches vac on the same vehicle with the same size NA engine under the same conditions. My point was that even without positive manifold pressure the turbo may still be assisting the engine. It doesn't only happen at the plus side of the gauge. This is also a function of throttle programming.

I see what you are saying but I guess I still don't understand.

I'd think with similar vehicles, traveling the same roads would require the same HP/Torque to maintain speed. So if it takes, say 20HP to maintain 55 on a level road that's what the engine will be putting out no matter if it's a turbo or a non turbo application. More power and you'd accelerate, less power and you'd decelerate. So while the turbo will always be spinning, the loads on the engine are the same as it's still making 20HP.

At least that's what makes sense to me - I'm open to being wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back