This Will Make For An Interesting Gun Rights Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headline misleads about the details.

The two burglars attacked the 80 year old man when he confronted them in his home, breaking his collarbone. The woman continued to hit him to keep him on the floor while the man tried to pry open a safe. He managed to get escape and fled to another room where he kept a gun.

Earlier headlines had him shooting a pregnant woman. The real story appears to be that she wasn't pregnant, she only said that (before being shot).

Originally Posted By: dave1251
This will get sticky. I will be surprised if the homeowner is charged. Then again this case is in southern California.

I'm not passing judgement but this guy is going to see jail time, no doubt. Just because it happened in CA.

I can't say that I would not react the same way he did, but he broke a couple huge rules for firearms self defense. You are to never leave your home with the gun, and you do not shoot someone again when they are on the ground. You are to neutralize the threat, no more.

He's 80. Prostate cancer will get him before the California court system does.

But why was the surviving burglar charged with her murder? Not sure I get that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
He's 80. Prostate cancer will get him before the California court system does.

But why was the surviving burglar charged with her murder? Not sure I get that.

The death occurred while he was committing a felony, therefore he is to blame.

I don't entirely agree with the charge, but it's reasonably foreseeable that something can go fatally wrong during a home invasion burglary.

I don't usually weigh in on behalf of the shooter in these incidents, but it's pretty clear to me that in this case, the decendent and his partner went after what they thought would be a soft target.
They inflicted considerable injury on the old fellow, from which he might never recover.
Had he not gotten loose and gotten his weapon, what else might they have done to him?
I hate to say good for the old man, but in this case, that's what I think.
One less punk to prey on those they believe to be weak and easy targets.

Way to go homeowner!
cheers3.gif
10.gif
Too bad he didn't get the male scum bag too
frown.gif

Of course no one knows if the district attorney will decide to charge or how the California court might deal with the homeowner. But I do know for certain that the public is fed up with, and has no sympathy for, criminals that pull these sorts of crimes.

IMO the most the homeowner is guilty of is bad aim (one of the two lowlifes got away). I'd sentence him to 10 to 20 hours at the range to improve his aim.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
IMO the most the homeowner is guilty of is bad aim (one of the two lowlifes got away). I'd sentence him to 10 to 20 hours at the range to improve his aim.

Haha that`s AWESOME!!
10.gif

He ought to fight any charges tooth and nail, and let the public know how the Long Beach P.D. and D.A. are wasting the public's money going after an 80 year old man attacked by druggies in his own house.

If I were him, I would say that I would fight this right through the trial. I doubt that any jury will convict, and if so, I doubt that there would be much of a sentence. a trial will make the cops look like the goons who shot that airliner down the other day.

I doubt he'll go to prison, but sadly he will lose more to lawyers than to the burglars.

You don't shoot people in they backs when they are running away. Even if they are burglars. Common sense thing. He should have shot then on the spot.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
sadly he will lose more to lawyers than to the burglars.

+1

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
He ought to fight any charges tooth and nail, and let the public know how the Long Beach P.D. and D.A. are wasting the public's money going after an 80 year old man attacked by druggies in his own house.

If I were him, I would say that I would fight this right through the trial. I doubt that any jury will convict, and if so, I doubt that there would be much of a sentence. a trial will make the cops look like the goons who shot that airliner down the other day.

I agree problem is, walk along Venice Beach as an example. Nothing but weirdos and druggies anymore. You think that sort of folks are going to be on his side? Unfortunately I have my doubts.

i would give him an award. and if i was him i would post a burglar death count on the out side of me house. like the old WW2 war air planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back