Samsung 840 Pro SSD in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally have the SSD swap done:

I haven't enabled rapid mode, etc, and don't have it on the max performance settings: I did migration using Samsung migration tool and not a clean install of Win 7, so boot time went from 2 min 7 seconds to about 45 seconds. (I timed this as pushing ON button and until after I have logged in and desktop was fully loaded and connected to wi-fi)

Ran a benchmark test - no clue if this is good / bad / great...I really don't know what to compare to.

Great scores! Those are great SSD's. I've been using them left and right at work to replace dying/dead hard drives.

What's your surrounding hardware?

Last edited:
Wow, that is a slow boot time for a SSD! My laptop with a standard hard drive takes about 45 seconds from power button on to logging on and connecting to wifi. How old is your computer?

Thanks.

It's not old at all, really.

Lenovo T520, i7 Sandy Bridge, Win 7 Prof. 64 bit. 8GB RAM.
FHD display.
SATA III and AHCI is all enabled.

I am just a bit worried that the boot times are not in 20 sec range as a lot of people yell about. But majority of those people probably did a clean install of Win 7 and didn't take all the bloatware and programs like i did to the new SSD....

As long as it is peppy while using it, I woudln't be concerned about boot times. I don't know, maybe I just don't care.

Maybe though... could your slower-than-normal boot times be related to any peripherals being initialized? I know my Drobo adds about 10-15 seconds because the BIOS waits for all of the drives to spin up and receive some type of message from the device.

I installed the Samsung Magician on my system. I'm running an Intel 520 Cherryville 120GB SSD. About 2-1/2 years old now. Yours isn't bad at all, neither is mine.

I4loZ6c.jpg

Yeah it's a LOT snappier while using the laptop.
I wonder if I should run the Performance Optimization tool and see what it does. But I am sure it will do a lot of things that I don't know about..then i'll be worried about all THAT stuff.

I hardly reboot, and just close the lid normally (goes to sleep).

sometimes the boot times come from slow bios also,
I had a desktop that took 19s to get to the windows LOADING screen.

he also said 45s to get to a desktop with wifi connected..

that's not exactly a time to get to the login prompt there.

How about timing it to the windows login screen?

Thats a more comparable number.. I bet thats alot closer to 30s or less.

Last edited:
Shall I make a video from cold boot to desktop? then you guys can time different sections and see/notice where bottle neck is...?

Last edited:
Did you / can you defrag?

I'd imagine that just because the HD was migrated over, doesn't mean that the blocks written to are optimized in location and order, even for a speedy ssd.

I have disabled defrag uitility after installing the SSD, because i read that it's not needed for flash / SSD ?

But the thing is the SSD is speedy as heck after booting...
Let me make a video and upload here:
Remember though, I still haven't enabled rapid mode NOR did run Samsung performance optimization for the SSD.

I think the biggest hangup is in the "please wait" section before log-in prompt.

BTW I also noticed that from a cold start it takes longer for wifi to connect - it gives me the red X and says no networks available, and then idles with a yellow exclamation mark for a bit and THEN connects - this did not happen before the SSD install...
Waking up from sleep all is normal and connects immediately...

any ideas why THAT happens?

I read a similar post online - exact same problem; the guy thought SSD was somehow interfering with the wifi adapters antennas or something

Oh and here;s what's still left in start up items:
Anything else I can safely remove from startup?

And there's like a 100 services and they are ALL checked in the SERVICES tab...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Did you / can you defrag?

I'd imagine that just because the HD was migrated over, doesn't mean that the blocks written to are optimized in location and order, even for a speedy ssd.

You don't want to defrag SSDs as it is unnecessary and puts a lot of wear and tear on the SSD.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

It's not old at all, really.

Lenovo T520, i7 Sandy Bridge, Win 7 Prof. 64 bit. 8GB RAM.
FHD display.
SATA III and AHCI is all enabled.

I am just a bit worried that the boot times are not in 20 sec range as a lot of people yell about. But majority of those people probably did a clean install of Win 7 and didn't take all the bloatware and programs like i did to the new SSD....

Yea, you have better specs than my laptop. Mine only has 4 GB of RAM. It could be that you didn't do a clean install, as over 2 minutes boot time with the regular hard drive is awful. My laptop has a pretty fresh install of Ubuntu on it (installed in early May).

Do you have the latest Samsung Magician much beter than the older version.

I have Sata 3gb is slower than the Sata 6gb. Previous rapid mode and new with max performance:

Seq Read - 437 Seq Write - 392

Seq Read - 721 Seq Write - 723

Random Read - 28697 Random Write - 20370

Random Read - 34662 Random Write - 37346

It runs a bit smoother, I do notice an improvement.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
as over 2 minutes boot time with the regular hard drive is awful.

After a few years with regular hard drive, over 2 minutes boot is fairly normal, IMO.

I've got an X230 with an i5 CPU and 8 GB RAM, and it also takes over 2 minutes to boot, closer to 3 minutes actually if you count up to the time when it actually becomes usable. The machine is 2 years old. It was certainly a lot faster when I bought it, but I don't see any unwanted junk in msconfig either.

Still, I rarely ever do a full reboot, so it doesn't bother me much.

avast is bloated and probably adds a few seconds.

what happens is windows loads so fast now your wireless takes a min to connect and catch up.

before it had time while the hdd was thrashing at startup to get connected.

FWIW: I think current operation is very normal and the root cause is not a fresh install with windows loading a ton at startup.. and avast.

Last edited:
Ah that makes sense with the wifi lagging a bit -
It only happens from a cold boot, which I hardly do, so no biggie there.

Any ideas as to which start up items I can safely take off from that list? (see screenshot provided in a post above)

As for Avast, I thought it was known to have a small foot print...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

Yes. But I haven't enabled rapid mode at all, as I have read a lot about it being great for benchmark numbers, but its influence is small in normal daily operations.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

Yes. But I haven't enabled rapid mode at all, as I have read a lot about it being great for benchmark numbers, but its influence is small in normal daily operations.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back