Falex Siezure Load of Base Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
In a Falex Load-to-Seizure Test a series of base oils were tested using the same viscosities of base oils.

A polyol ester pure base oil of Pentaerythritol failed at 3,400 PSI.

Pure mineral oil failed at 22% of the Pentaerythritol, but PAO failed at 253% of the mineral oil.

At what PSI did the mineral oil and PAO fail?

Rules for the Question of the Day:

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

2. Please respond with a complete sentence.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

4. Please, no off topic posts.

Last edited:
If I entered the numbers right, 1892 psi +/- calibration and measurement error.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If I entered the numbers right, 1892 psi +/- calibration and measurement error.

And zero points for reading comprehension
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Stelth
The mineral oil failed at 748 psi, and the PAO failed at 1892.44 psi.

OK but how does that relate to the best motor oil to use in a car's engine. Functionally both seem to be equal.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

OK but how does that relate to the best motor oil to use in a car's engine. Functionally both seem to be equal.

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

Last edited:
Within calculator round-off errors:

22% of 3,400 psi = 0.22 X 3,400 = 748 psi for mineral oil.

For the PAO, 253% of Mineral Oil = 2.53 X 748 = 1,892.44 psi for PAO.

So the long tall Texan gfh77665 wins the latest bright and shiny
Piston Cup Lapel Pin.
thumbsup2.gif

The following fluids showed these Falex load-to-seizure results:

Pentaerythritol (polyol Ester) - 3,400 psi
TrimethylPropane (polyol Ester) - 3,200 psi
Dibasic Acid Ester - 2,000 psi
PAO - 1,900 PSI
Chlorophenylmethyl Siloxane - 1,100 psi
Petroleum Oil - 750 psi
Methyl alkyl silicone - 725 psi
Methyl phenyl silicone - 75 psi
Diemthyl silicone - 70 psi

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

I do not know anything about any contests but would like to know the validity of Falex seizures as it relates to car engines today. Would it not be like saying a grade 8 bolt is better then a grade 2 bolt when all I am doing with the bolt is holding together the pages of my tractor's parts manual?

Engine parts are not even touching each other if the engine is in use or else it would only last a few miles I expect.

Quote:
I do not know anything about any contests but would like to know the validity of Falex seizures as it relates to car engines today.

I would recommend you start a thread in Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs.

Last edited:
My question is about the value of Falex Seizure MolaKule and I was hoping you point out the functional value of Falex Seizure testing beyond marketing hype. I think in can start a new thread if you wish that action.

We will have a series of questions in the future and in this Forum regarding various experimental methods in Tribology.

In the meantime, look through the historical posts in this forum as there are a number of ASTM topics posted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back