Texas Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my 18 months at Hood (Granted, 9 months technically were deployed in Afghan) I have never, ever seen it this hot.
days where its "98F, feels like 105F, 60% Humidity) are atrocious. Granted, being from Florida, I can stand humidity, but this heat, lordy lou. Plus, going into a motorpool that's all concrete probably tacks on 10 degrees, and another 10 when the tanks are on...

Its cool though, trying Gin and Tonic tonight. Wedge of lime, I can see this as a hot weather drink. Never liked gin, Never liked tonic water. But the mixture? something clicks.

Coming from an American Bourbon drinker, this fancy stuff with a fancy dude on the bottle (Beefeater) is pretty good coming from across the Atlantic. Props to London.

PS. We still won the Revolutionary War, and the war of 1812, and back to back world war champs.

Yes, heat is among the things bigger in TX.

Something about the smell of gin makes me not want it in my house, let alone my mouth

Stay cool, young one!

Used to drink lots of G&T in the 80's. These days, there are many really good gins out there as well as primo tonic waters (think Fever Tree and Q). Since you are in Texas try Moody June or Waterloo. Both are Texas gins with Texas botanicals. Otherwise, Martin Miller's is my personal favorite.

Beefeater is, of course, a great classic style gin. Beefeater 24 is a newer style that has less juniper character and more citrus.

All preference, but a G&T with a bit of lime (and, for me, a couple dashes of Angostura bitters) is an awesome summer vegetating drink!

My brother lives up in the dfw area. Parent's were supposed to leave yesterday to visit him. He called on weds night to say, stay there. I'll come to you instead. Need to escape the heat. (currently 73 f w/ 50% humidity here. Next week is forecasted to top out around 68)

I remember the Summer of 1980 in Dallas - I was 19 and living outside of Chicago. Went down to my cousins house in Arlington, TX. for the whole Summer. First week of June through the first week in September. Quickly found a summer job there at a big local full service car wash there in Arlington. It was the right choice for a summer job, BELIEVE me, lots of cool water, all day long. It was the Summer of 'Who Shot J.R.' & it was H O T !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_United_States_heat_wave

Gin by itself is awful.
A martini?
A horrible cocktail, whether shaken or stirred.
G&T or Gin and bitter lemon?
A great drink.
We're having a fairly cool summer here.
It was well over 90F Tuesday, but that's been the exception this season.
Kind of compensates for the extreme winter we endured.
Next winter looks to be a lot milder than the last.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

PS. We still won the Revolutionary War, and the war of 1812, and back to back world war champs.

You might want to read up on the War of 1812.

That is nothing...

Try Djibouti, Africa, Camp Lemonnier

Hottest country in the world, weather comes through two deserts...

143 Wet Bulb Globe Temperature.....

Winter there is summer in Texas...

18 months there, 2 summers...

And in all that time, doing my laundry once a week, they never lost a sock.
Only rained twice, both times for ten minutes...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist

Hee hee

He probably thinks we won in Korea and Vietnam too.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist

Aye, didn't the US have to give up its claims of halting impressment, though that was one of the main drivers for the call to war?

Gin and Tonic is my summer heat drink also. I have some Ballast Point Gin waiting for tonic right now.

Qatar is the most hot/humid place I've been. I've lived in hotter, and visited more humid, but the combination in Qatar was terrible. 100' of visibility in fog and everything is wet when the sun comes up, triple digits in the afternoon and the humidity wasn't far behind. It would get so hot aircraft maintenance would stop because you couldn't touch the outside of the plane. The tents had good air conditioning though...

I think our news said it was 116*F yesterday. I went out at 8am for a walk and it was already 100*F. The humidity wasn't as high, but for here, you could still feel it in the air.
Hopefully that will be the highest we get this year.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Aye, didn't the US have to give up its claims of halting impressment, though that was one of the main drivers for the call to war?

My understanding is that about 1.5 years into the war, England made peace with France, which halted the need for England to impress American sailors. So, basically, the impressment issue more or less solved itself.

At best, the War of 1812 could be considered a stalemate because, in the end, neither side ceded any land or made any major concessions. On the other hand, they burned our capital, which, despite our victory at the Battle of New Orleans, would pretty much bring the scorecard to England 1, USA 0.

Not too far from you Gumby. IMHO, this Summer (so far) hasn't been near as bad as others. It has been more humid, but not near as many > 100°F days as previous Summers.

Remember, the heat index only accounts for dry bulb temp + humidity. There is a heat index for 3am. What it doesn't account for is the level of solar radiation. Frankly, I don't understand why the weather reports don't report this as the second leading cause of weather-related deaths in our area are due to sunstroke. (#1 is due to flash floods).

Here's the current reading from my weather station @ 12:19p:

Outdoor ambient: 91°F
Outdoor humidity: 64%
"Regular" heat index: 102°F
Solar Intensity: 889 Watts/sqr. meter
Solar heat index: 120°F

That extra 18°F accounts for a lot. Furthermore, concrete or (worse) black asphalt continues to heat up throughout the day as long as Sun is on it. Not uncommon to see it reach over 135°F and it'll radiate that heat throughout the evening for hours on end.

Re: G&T..yep. The hotter it is, the better it tastes. Store your gin & glass in the freezer. Try 2oz Gin to 5oz of Tonic with plenty of ice, stir well (don't shake) and let sit a minute or two. Repeat as °F rises.

Thanks for your service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back