List of Purolator failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 ...I originally used Pure One oil filters because I "thought" they were made to a very high standard , easy to grip for awkward oil filter locations under a vehicle - all of which seemed a good fit for synthetic oil usage . Well no more , for me it's : Hyundai OEM , M1 , Fram Ultra , NAPA Gold or Wix regular . There are just too many excellent oil filters to now take a chance with Purolator .
Originally Posted By: dave180
"thank you but a lot of people stopped using them including us"

"maybe its better to forget about it and never use them again that is what we did"

Got it.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Updated the spreadsheet with the latest report from ThirdeYe.
Code:
Failures by model type Failures by product line

14610 6 PureOne 8

10241 5 Classic 8

14406 2 Bosch 3

14459 2

14460 2

12222 1

14477 1
Interesting, my model of Classic (L10111) is not listed. Guess I can use the ones I have as long as I keep the OCI short (and I ALWAYS do 3-4K).

I wonder, in all of those failures, how many people were running the correct oil viscosity for their car, how many were run in racing or high-performance cars with HD oil pumps, and so forth?

This discussion reminds me of one I had not long ago with a guy about acoustic guitars. He swore up and down brand "Y" was nothing but [censored] and the first question I had for him was "how old were the strings?", because you can have a $10K Daniel Bourgeois guitar and if you have old, dead strings, that $10K guitar will sound awful.

I will contact Purolator by phone, myself (I am particularly aggressive, to the point of being a total [censored], with bad CS). I'll see if I can get an answer.

I got the list updated. Sorry about the delay, I've been busy for the last month with a big move. It's updated with entries from KenO, threeputtpar, FutureDoc, 137_Trenton, Benaiah, nobb, HangFire, ThirdeYe, jmb3675, and cb4017.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...amp;usp=sharing
Code:

Failures by model type Failures by product line

14610 9 PureOne 14

10241 6 Classic 12

14459 4 Bosch 6

14460 3 Motorcraft 1

20195 3

14006 2

24651 2

10111 1

12222 1

14477 1

25247 1

Last edited:
Updated with four more entries. Hopefully the reports start subsiding soon. I guess it will take a few more months---my last PureOne will probably be in service until October.

Could have sworn I had an account here back when I had a diesel truck maybe just lurked so much back then I thought I did.

Any how had two Pure One PL14610 Filters in the shed in my storage container from prior oil changes.Cut them both open and posting results:

1 with 7-31-2012 date code (F07D31E1) has a torn pleat, left side of metal seam viewed with open end of filter pointing up. 97 Mazda Miata, 1.8L 5spd, Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 In service 9-30-12 through 8-4-13 8,122 miles. On extended OCI's I usually change the filter only around 4K but forgot on this one. Used about 1 quart (what was left in the 5 qt jug) in that 8K.

1 with 7-30-2011 date code (F07C30E1) NO TEAR Same Vehicle Same Oil, 1-25-12 thru 9-30-12, OCI was 7,733 miles but that filter may only have 3500-4000 miles on it since I'm pretty sure I did a filter swap mid OCI.

Have another one currently installed that's been in service around 5K so far with 5-30 Pennzoil Platinum. Will cut that one and inspect after the oil change for another data point.

All that said, I have owned the car since 83K miles, I received no service records with the car and none showed up on car fax, the last 60K plus have been on Pure One filters and Pennzoil Platinum. If there have been holes in the filters I didn't cut open, you can't tell it from looking inside the engine during the timing belt swap at 132K or by the compression test at 139K (210, 205, 215, 215 1-4 respectively).

Should they be there, no. How big a deal is it really? Do we have catastrophic engine failures reported? Does anyone have a series of UOA's that they can point to which OCI's they had a filter tear and which one they didn't? Having not read the thread on miata.net and then coming here, I wouldn't have bothered cutting the filter open, been none the wiser, and motored happily along.

Consider its a mass produced product, on the order of 10 million filters a year I'm guessing if not more?? Anyone else want to put a number on it? US population is 350 million +, say 100 million drive, 12,000 miles a year, if each driver only changed oil once a year that's still 100 million filters, I'm guessing my estimates are conservative. What's Purolater's market share?- They build alot of filters. Not defending them, but there are realities associated with large scale production. If it were easy, every one would be doing it. Build a filter you can retail for $3-6.00, cover majority of applications and do it with zero or near zero failure rate. Makes for good forum fodder though.

I'll edit with a link to photos of the filters in the miata.net thread. I don't use internet base photo servers and didn't see a way to upload from my computer directly.

ddog

Originally Posted By: ddog

Should they be there, no. How big a deal is it really? Do we have catastrophic engine failures reported? Does anyone have a series of UOA's that they can point to which OCI's they had a filter tear and which one they didn't? Having not read the thread on miata.net and then coming here, I wouldn't have bothered cutting the filter open, been none the wiser, and motored happily along.

If we saw a tear or two once a year or more, I don't think too many people would be upset. But with the numbers we have seen in the last few months it's definitely not a "freak incident" occurring, but rather a major quality issue going on at Purolator.

If people still want to use filters that have a good chance of tearing then that's all fine and dandy for them. Everyone has the freedom to make that decision for themselves.
grin.gif
But if you read some of the past threads over the last month, you'll see that a lot of people have jumped ship to use another brand, at least for now.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ddog

If we saw a tear or two once a year or more, I don't think too many people would be upset. But with the numbers we have seen in the last few months it's definitely not a "freak incident" occurring, but rather a major quality issue going on at Purolator.

I think the change in Pleat count starting to be discussed may be an issue. But do we know if everyone here cuts open every brand of filter at every oil change? Obviously someone cut one open, found the tear and once the word gets out, everyone in the forum world (just like I did) will start cutting open their Purolater filters. Have as many other Brand X or Y filters been cut open to be able to say that Brand X or Y is OK ?

I'll decide after I check the filter that's in it now. I also have Bosch Distance plus filter I can cut open, it was on my Motorcycle I'm pretty sure. The motorcycle and the miata use the same size filter. Miata calls for the 14612 but I use the longer 14610. I do love the textured can on the Pure One, easy to put on and take off by hand.

Just curious but has anyone done a UOA on their oil with one of these torn filters? Just wondering what the UOA looked like. Seems to me if the filter was not doing it's job due to torn media, then insolubles would be high showing that, correct?

Same principle that if the filter went into by-pass due to being full, it would show on the UOA.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Just curious but has anyone done a UOA on their oil with one of these torn filters? Just wondering what the UOA looked like. Seems to me if the filter was not doing it's job due to torn media, then insolubles would be high showing that, correct?

Same principle that if the filter went into by-pass due to being full, it would show on the UOA.

According to this UOA, no difference seen. Doesn't mean I'd want to run filters with tears in them though. The tears in this Classic were pretty small though, as seen in the photos in the link within the link.

Link Here

Purolator: "We are unaware of any such issue."

Say WHAT?!

I suppose that may be the Royal We and only applies to the Social media group. I just dropped them a line so that they might be more aware. Awareness would be good. They should try it.

Originally Posted By: Provi
So I wrote Purolator on Facebook and they responded......

So... what really happened is that you reached the intern that they pay $10 a hour to monitor their "social media outlets"...

Did you really think that an engineer monitors their Facebook page?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Provi
So I wrote Purolator on Facebook and they responded......

So... what really happened is that you reached the intern that they pay $10 a hour to monitor their "social media outlets"...

Did you really think that an engineer monitors their Facebook page?

Go to their page and look at the other post. Another member from BITOG also wrote them and they never responded to me after I posted a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back