Nice portable (small) wireless mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
...I picked up a Microsoft 3500 from Walmart - it's quite decent, and I like the scroll wheel action.

My sister has that mouse and it goes through batteries constantly! She can go through 3 or more batteries in the time it takes me to go through 1 battery on my logitech. And she turns hers off more than I do!

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
...I picked up a Microsoft 3500 from Walmart - it's quite decent, and I like the scroll wheel action.

My sister has that mouse and it goes through batteries constantly!

I'm not surprised. That blue tracking LED underneath the mouse is constantly on while the mouse is in motion.

But given how picky I am about some features, it's next to impossible to find a perfect mouse. If I have to sacrifice on battery life, so be it. But I'm still looking... none of them really have been a perfect fit so far, but if I had to choose right now, I think the Logitech Anywhere MX would be it, if I can get one that doesn't wobble.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
I actually switch between the smooth and click roll much more than I had anticipated I would. It's a shame you got a dud that wobbles. I picked up my Anywhere mouse from the Westmont Micro Center "Refurbished" for about $30 and it sits flat. It seemed brand new, just didn't include the box.

My replacement Anywhere MX just arrived. This one also wobbles a bit. I'm starting to think they all do that, some people just aren't as anal about these things as I am.

On a mouse pad, you can't tell, but on a hardwood desk or glass, you can, and it drives me bananas.

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
I actually switch between the smooth and click roll much more than I had anticipated I would. It's a shame you got a dud that wobbles. I picked up my Anywhere mouse from the Westmont Micro Center "Refurbished" for about $30 and it sits flat. It seemed brand new, just didn't include the box.

My replacement Anywhere MX just arrived. This one also wobbles a bit. I'm starting to think they all do that, some people just aren't as anal about these things as I am.

On a mouse pad, you can't tell, but on a hardwood desk or glass, you can, and it drives me bananas.

That would drive me nuts too. Mine really does not wobble at all so it seems like something is not right. I usually use mine on a glass/wood surface (hotels). Maybe the pads on the bottom of the mouse need to be worn in a little?

Interestingly, I was running it on one battery. Now that I added the second battery, the wobbling diminished, to the point where I think I can live with it.

I don't either. I thought we were just joking.

For sure! In retrospect, the old Amiga's mouse was probably the most robust of the ball ones I've used. That thing is still perfectly functional. When I moved to a PC, I couldn't wait to get rid of the ball mouse!

Oh, and now that you mention it, this Logitech has a very tiny amount of wobble. I don't like that, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
In retrospect, the old Amiga's mouse was probably the most robust of the ball ones I've used.

Ha! The original Amiga mouse was tough to kill, but the wheel did require some cleaning now an then. Mine still sits somewhere in my parents' basement...

Amiga_Mouse.jpg

I couldn't afford a dedicated monitor for the Amiga. The solution was to purchase one of those little brick modulators that would convert video signal into RF (RCA) so that it could be hooked up to a TV. Mine still works, I think, although it's not been used in probably 10 years or more.

I just bought a Logitech M325 this afternoon. They were on sale at OfficeMax/OfficeDepot. $16.99 (from $29.99).

Overall, I like the mouse. I do like the "hybrid" wheel, where it's not too notchy, but it's also not completely smooth...you can feel SOME texture. It does have four distinct feet/pads, and I do think that's odd; most mice I've used have three (so you don't get the wobble). This one, however, despite having four pads, is wobble-free. I like the rubberized side grips, but will concede that it's a little small in my hand.

I'm impressed how fast it pairs to its Unifying dongle. I mean, it's IMMEDIATE that the mouse works on the computer. I've tried it in Windows 8.1, Windows XP, and on our Samsung Chromebook. It works a treat on all of them. I have a bunch of wired mice, but couldn't pass up the chance to try this one at just over half of the regular retail price. (Though I see that Amazon has them for between $15 and $20 on Prime...so if I want another, I can get one easily and for a similar price.)

Pete, did you buy another V450 off eBay?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Pete, did you buy another V450 off eBay?

Nope. All the V450s on eBay are either used or refurbished. I decided not to go that route.

So far I'm getting used to the Anywhere MX, and I think I'm going to keep it. It is slightly bigger than the M325, but still not a full size. It has a very solid feel to it, and it comes with a little travel case, which I like as I do travel with it quite a bit.

UPDATE: 1.5 years later, the left button on this Logitech MX is starting to act up just like on my old mouse. Disappointing, to say the least.

Thankfully it has a 3-year warranty, so I will take it up with Logitech.

Well, that really sucks. I seem to have had decent luck with the last few very cheap ones, to the point that with a new system, I just trash the new mouse, which is inferior to the cheapest consumer grade one I find on the shelf, perplexingly enough.

I picked up a Microsoft 3500 from Walmart - it's quite decent, and I like the scroll wheel action.

Same one im using right now, batt could last longer and now I have a tight spot in the wheel.

UPDATE: 1.5 years later, the left button on this Logitech MX is starting to act up just like on my old mouse. Disappointing, to say the least.

Thankfully it has a 3-year warranty, so I will take it up with Logitech.

Well that's a bummer. I hope the warranty works out for you.

I recently had to retire my VX Revolution that was probably 8 years old. It would randomly lose connection and was eating batteries really fast.

Ended up with an MX Anywhere 2. So far, so good. Hopefully it's devoid of the issues you're having with the original Anywhere.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I use to have the Logitech but their jumbo software was a pain.

I just use them with basic windows (or linux) drivers. Didnt really see a need to install the Logitech junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back