Drove a 14 Mitsubishi Mirage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: firemachine69

No AC.. Really, for 70% of Canadians, that makes it useless...

I thought Canadian summers were a week shorter than NH summers, which only average about 2 weeks long? How bad can it be?

whistle.gif

Bad enough that I REALLY think I need to fix the A/C in my Dakota!
frown.gif

This car sounds like a more modern Geo Metro, three cylinder engine with best available fuel economy and all.
For someone with a long commute who'd be willing to live with the car, this would be a good choice.
Fuel economy just doesn't get any better at the price this car sells for and it's doubtful that a much more expensive diesel or hybrid would do any better in typical long commute use.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Bad enough that I REALLY think I need to fix the A/C in my Dakota!
frown.gif

As we head into the heat of summer I find myself increasingly taking my truck over my car just simply because it has better a/c. Fuel cost be darned.

No AC.. Really, for 70% of Canadians, that makes it useless...

I thought Canadian summers were a week shorter than NH summers, which only average about 2 weeks long? How bad can it be?

whistle.gif

Bad enough that A/C is necessary going across southern Ontario in the summertime. It's a broiler thanks to the flat farm fields.

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
My '14 Mirage is great ... I'm averaging 48mpg combined city+highway and the engine does sound like a mini-6'er.

Believe it or not, I'm actually having more fun driving the Mirage than my Mustang or Nissan Z!

There is a veideo on youtube of a guy that cut his resonator off (no muffler). I played that for a few people (it doesn't say what vehicle) and they were guessing different inline 6 engines.

That alone, makes me want to get one! I love inline 6 engines!

Is yours a 5 speed or CVT?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You guys need to price-compete these in Canada. The only other competition is a cash-only purchase on a Rio/Accent (like most folks actually have $15k sitting around... :))... Maybe the Nissan Micra...The magnitude of savings is substantially more.

The odd time though, small cars do go "on sale". Last week you could get a new Elantra for $11k+tax, no AC though. And Versa's have been down to $10k in the recent past, no AC either I assume. The Cobalt also bowed out at around $10-11k in the last model year.
These cars also don't depreciate much either, no one remembers that in 2011, you paid $10k for a Versa and not $15k, so you might get $7-8k for it with reasonable mileage. $500/year depreciation for a new car with warranty is pretty good!

Up until 2011, you could get a Versa with no AC, Radio for $9990. Or, Nissan said you could. Dealers wouldn't order them. I walked into two different Nissan dealers, cash in hand and was, quite literally, laughed out.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Mmm MMM. BoJangles chicken sho'am good.

Good write-up on the '14 Mirage. Thanks for taking the time. Mitsubishi has made some good stuff over the years, but they've always been the odd-ball. I'd hate to see them leave the market, for nothing more than having another choice available to us.

FWIW, I had a Mitsubishi product back in the early 1990s. A 1989 Dodge Colt 2dr hatchback that I bought used in 1991. Vinyl seats, no power steering, 4spd manual, no air. That was a decent little car! Bought it for $5K with 32K miles on it IIRC.

Thanks! These have been growing on me. I have been very tempted to save up and buy one (cash) in the spring! I won't , though.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This car sounds like a more modern Geo Metro, three cylinder engine with best available fuel economy and all.
For someone with a long commute who'd be willing to live with the car, this would be a good choice.
Fuel economy just doesn't get any better at the price this car sells for and it's doubtful that a much more expensive diesel or hybrid would do any better in typical long commute use.

They are a modern Geo Metro for sure. But with a touch of modern. Push button HAVC, remote keyless entry (in the US), AC, decent radio.

$13K and > 40 MPG. No timing belts, batteries. The cost of ownership has to be lower than pretty much anything else on the market!

Oddball tire size. That's a downside.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

They are a modern Geo Metro for sure. But with a touch of modern. Push button HAVC, remote keyless entry (in the US), AC, decent radio.

$13K and > 40 MPG. No timing belts, batteries. The cost of ownership has to be lower than pretty much anything else on the market!

Oddball tire size. That's a downside.

Not to mention the fear Mitsubishi will leave the US market. I think even Mazda sells more vehicles in NA than Mitsubishi.

Do you really think one of these things could do 200-300k miles reliably? I have major doubts

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
As a new car that I expect warranty I wouldn't buy it, who knows how long Mitsubishi will stay in business in the US.

The CEO of Mitsubishi Motors Japan stated that the they are here to stay in the USA, and they have the resources of a HUGE multinational corporation to honor that promise, the CEO said that you can't leave the US market and expect to be a real competitor in the rest of the world.

Mitsubishi is a huge conglomerate with hundreds of billions of dollars behind it.

They may have the resources of a huge multinational. But companies typically have US divisions, etc. So just because the corporate parent is flush with cash doesn't mean the US entity will remain in business, etc.

It's a largely meaningless fact/statement.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
As a new car that I expect warranty I wouldn't buy it, who knows how long Mitsubishi will stay in business in the US.

The CEO of Mitsubishi Motors Japan stated that the they are here to stay in the USA, and they have the resources of a HUGE multinational corporation to honor that promise, the CEO said that you can't leave the US market and expect to be a real competitor in the rest of the world.

Mitsubishi is a huge conglomerate with hundreds of billions of dollars behind it.

If their sales continue to grow, I can see them staying. Even if they did leave , I imagine finding parts for them would be easy ... there's millions of these cars around the world.

I saw one at a dealer again. It's going to be hard to NOT save up and buy one in a few months.

Priorities. Need to save up for a house.

If their sales continue to grow, I can see them staying. Even if they did leave , I imagine finding parts for them would be easy ... there's millions of these cars around the world.

I saw one at a dealer again. It's going to be hard to NOT save up and buy one in a few months.

I bet you will be able to find one for half price in 2-3 years. Economy may or may not be doing "great", depending upon one's thoughts: but I have a tough time believing that these cars will hold their value, not when they are base of the base models, and when gas prices are not rising rapidly.

I bet you will be able to find one for half price in 2-3 years. Economy may or may not be doing "great", depending upon one's thoughts: but I have a tough time believing that these cars will hold their value, not when they are base of the base models, and when gas prices are not rising rapidly.

If I could find a 5 speed for half what it was new, heck yes I would buy it used!

The problem is - most of them have a Nissan failure prone CVT. No thanks on the failure prone CVT!

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
My '14 Mirage is great ... I'm averaging 48mpg combined city+highway and the engine does sound like a mini-6'er.

Believe it or not, I'm actually having more fun driving the Mirage than my Mustang or Nissan Z!

There is a veideo on youtube of a guy that cut his resonator off (no muffler). I played that for a few people (it doesn't say what vehicle) and they were guessing different inline 6 engines.

That alone, makes me want to get one! I love inline 6 engines!

Is yours a 5 speed or CVT?
Yep, it definitely sounds like a mini-6'er, and is getting more smooth and throaty as I add mileage. Got a CVT ... I'd preferred a manual, but my wife couldn't drive that.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Do you really think one of these things could do 200-300k miles reliably? I have major doubts
I'm confident that it could. IMO it's a very low-tech car, few frills ... a very straightforward, basic design that lends itself to easy repair.

Things I did not care for:

- Oddball tire size. There are not many on the market. I can find new tires for $50 for my Focus - those same ones were $75 or $100 for the Mirage. There are also no good snow tire sizes. Anyone would have to seemingly go up to 15 or down to 13s.

Prompted by Jarlaxe's comment in a different thread I took a quick look at this car (again). DTD did not list snows but if I change to plus zero sizing, from 165/65R14 to 185/60R14 that did show RT43's, which I was content with in snow last year. No sure what a larger tire would do for mpg though.

I still think I want a sedan next time though. Do not know why.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I just do not see 200K from a CVT.
frown.gif

I bet a Toyota or Honda CVT will go 200K. JATCO? Absolutely not. They can't seem to get 50K reliable miles yet ...

Things I did not care for:

- Oddball tire size. There are not many on the market. I can find new tires for $50 for my Focus - those same ones were $75 or $100 for the Mirage. There are also no good snow tire sizes. Anyone would have to seemingly go up to 15 or down to 13s.

Prompted by Jarlaxe's comment in a different thread I took a quick look at this car (again). DTD did not list snows but if I change to plus zero sizing, from 165/65R14 to 185/60R14 that did show RT43's, which I was content with in snow last year. No sure what a larger tire would do for mpg though.

I still think I want a sedan next time though. Do not know why.

They will be releasing a sedan version later this year in the US!

I am starting to see them everywhere. I want one badly. However, I have a perfectly fine 4 year old car with 52K miles on it that is paid for (wouldn't have to finance a Mirage) that gets mid 30s for MPG. Can't justify it.

I'll wait until they start showing up used for nothing. Then I'll buy one.

Discounting these heavy around here.
Saw one discounted $2810.off sticker, plus a $1250.rebate.
New car under ten grand. Guess that is something.

Oh, a sedan? Hmmm... I think I want a sedan because I do not want to deal with lifting or pulling the tailgate over my head, not to just get my laptop out of the trunk. Or a bag of groceries, whatever. I mean, I has truck, if I want to move stuff I am taking that instead.

Wife said I should go and test drive one tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back