What bike (s) do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cannondale r900 campy chorus, Carbon seat post and forks. Barely has any miles on it as my hands get numb, i need to sell it. Its the last of the american made caad 8 frames. What should i ask for it?

Vintage 1990 Miyata 721a road bike.

Looked a lot like this when it was new:
1990MiyataSeven21A.jpg

I have a rear rack and bag on the rack.

Somehow I've missed this thread.

I'm down to 3 bikes...

1988 Cannondale SC500 w/Shimano 105 retro Criterium bike in blueberry
1989 Cannondale MB500 w/SunTour boat anchor/mountain bike
2001 DeRosa Merak w/Campy Record

not a fan of Vittoria's sew-ups. Conti Sprinters have held up much better for me on my Sunday best wheels.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
not a fan of Vittoria's sew-ups. Conti Sprinters have held up much better for me on my Sunday best wheels.

Yes, as I have said before on here, I had a set of the old, late '70s -early '80s Conti road tubulars (forgot what they called them back then, but they were ~250 grams in weight), and they were aged about 2 years, and wore like the proverbial case hardened iron!

I even used them in a couple of DRY cyclocross events back then and I could NOT kill them!!
crazy2.gif

I have a Montague folding bike with mountain bike wheels. It fits in my Jetta's trunk wheels and all.

At present:

2002 Rocky Mountain Fusion (MTB)

2010 Kona Dew Deluxe (hybrid)

In the family:

2004 Giant Iguana

2008 Giant Iguana

1985 Bianci Grizzly

1984 Norco Sasquatch (converted to single-speed fixi winter bike)

2005 Iron Horse

Peterbuilt recumbent

2 custom cross bikes

1 custom single-speed (winter bike)

1 custom road bike (carbon)

1 unicycle

(What have I forgotten?)

2011 Specialized Sirrus
All standard components and a few 'custom' chips & scratches many 000's of miles and the sentimental attatchment that comes from 'that' crash - a learner driver went through a red light and i woke up 4 days later with 72 stitches in my face..
the good news is my spesh and i are still here, and i found out later that her car was declared a total loss by her insurance company...so....that makes me so tough i can total a car with my face!

Originally Posted By: Olas
2011 Specialized Sirrus
All standard components and a few 'custom' chips & scratches many 000's of miles and the sentimental attatchment that comes from 'that' crash - a learner driver went through a red light and i woke up 4 days later with 72 stitches in my face..
the good news is my spesh and i are still here, and i found out later that her car was declared a total loss by her insurance company...so....that makes me so tough i can total a car with my face!

LOL Olas sorry for your accident but what mileage you get from Specialized ? I get around 5 beers/20 km on my Gary if i'm lucky.

Olas;

I will bet the director sportif of sky is now VERY MUCH regretting leaving Sir Bradley Wiggins off of their TdF squad, correct??
frown.gif

I can sort of understand their rationale, there being only ONE single 'contre la montre', and MUCH elevation gain in this year's route, but still there is a greater than excellent chance that the ex world class and champion pursuiter would be in (and finish) within the top three.
wink.gif

My bicycles: N + 1 (some mountain, road & two hybrids)
Motorized: 2013 HD Night Train

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX
Schwinn Paramount (1994 model last year built in Waterford)
Serotta Columbus SP 1983 year model

^^^NICE!!
thumbsup2.gif

When I started racing as a 14 year old 'intermediate' (the age classes were VERY different back then) in 1970, in Joyzee, there was a club/team out of the Sommerville area called the Somerset Wheelmen, (I believe they are still around, based out of Flemington now) and almost all of them rode Campy equipped Paramounts of that era (531 tubing back then, correct?).

Sorry I missed your post. Paramounts of that era were built either with Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL (SP) in the larger sizes. My casual empiricism suggests that 531 frames were probably more prevalent. My Paramount is built from Reynolds 753. Although the frame is in really good shape, I'm sending it to Waterford to be completely redone with new paint and decals, putting it back exactly as original. Since my original post, The Eddy Merckx Titanium wore out. It didn't fail, it just developed too much slop in the bottom bracket. It was very recently replaced by a custom built Lynskey.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX
Schwinn Paramount (1994 model last year built in Waterford)
Serotta Columbus SP 1983 year model

^^^NICE!!
thumbsup2.gif

When I started racing as a 14 year old 'intermediate' (the age classes were VERY different back then) in 1970, in Joyzee, there was a club/team out of the Sommerville area called the Somerset Wheelmen, (I believe they are still around, based out of Flemington now) and almost all of them rode Campy equipped Paramounts of that era (531 tubing back then, correct?).

Sorry I missed your post. Paramounts of that era were built either with Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL (SP) in the larger sizes. My casual empiricism suggests that 531 frames were probably more prevalent. My Paramount is built from Reynolds 753. Although the frame is in really good shape, I'm sending it to Waterford to be completely redone with new paint and decals, putting it back exactly as original. Since my original post, The Eddy Merckx Titanium wore out. It didn't fail, it just developed too much slop in the bottom bracket. It was very recently replaced by a custom built Lynskey.

Lynskeys are COOL!
thumbsup2.gif

My Merlin Road is also getting a little bit 'whippy' in the chainstay area as well, but still not too bad yet.

I would go carbon next, but am still a little wary over the way they just shear/crack, sometimes with NO warning or without even hitting a pothole/bump (see Alberto Contador's bike in this year's Tour
eek.gif
).

The era (and riders) of Paramounts I was speaking of were BEFORE 753 was even around!!
grin2.gif

I remember when 753 was introduced, and the whole Dutch Raleigh pro squad were riding frames built of the lighter tubing in the Tour that year.
wink.gif

1986 Miyata Ridgerunner black w/ the 80s pink letters Bio-pace 170
1990 Trek 2500 carbon black ultegra but got dura ace 172.5 cranks
2013 Specialized Crosstrail disc white w/ red letters

Last edited:
I had no idea there was a bike forum in here. This is my new passion even if I'm not very good.

Bikes:

'09 Specialized Epic Expert
'14 Giant Trance SX

The Epic was bought and nearly forgotten about because of big life changes such as a new job and new home. It probably has under 50 miles on it. The original tires are still on it with 95% of the tread still there. About 6 months ago when I decided to get back into mountain biking I replaced the original brakes with Shimano XTs and used the 180/160 rotors from my Trance. Generally speaking I don't care for the Avid/SRAM brakes although the Guides I spent a short time with seem really nice. I really like this bike, it's a great do it all bike and it's very efficient. It soaks up large bumps much better than you would think a 4" travel bike would.

My Trance SX is my baby. Due to my weight (240lbs) and the terrain I ride, I ordered a few upgrades along with the bike. I wanted to retain the 1X setup since I've been wanting to try that setup for a while but I needed a deeper low gear without compromising the top end. I went from the stock 34t front and 11-24 cassette to an X01/XX1 11sp setup with a 32t front and 10-42 cassette. IMO, this is just about the best (and only way) to do a 1X setup in my area. Not cheap but worth every penny to me. It was supposed to be an all X01 setup but I accidentally got an XX1 shifter.

I also ordered a pair of 203mm Shimano Ice Tech rotors and finned metal pads for the stock brakes. This worked great until I got bored. I can't say enough about the Deores that came with the bike. These are one of the best brakes I've run regardless of price and it doesn't hurt that they're around $60 or even less new. They have the same power and modulation of the more expensive XT, XTR, and SLX brakes. They all have the same master and slave piston area so I guess it makes sense. The only thing they were lacking that some of the higher end Shimanos had were certain adjustments and they used metal pistons instead of ceramic pistons. I would have no problem sticking these on a high end build.

So I ended up with the Zees and they're great as well. There's about 17 or 18% more slave piston area with the same master size as the other Shimanos so there's a little more power with better modulation but a little more lever travel. There's really no way to get around the additional travel but you can minimize it to where it's barely noticeable if you set them up well. These things have great power and even better control. They use 4 ceramic pistons and they do an excellent job at keeping heat out of the fluid. They use a larger pad with more surface area which is nice. More surface area has no effect on power but it does mean a longer lasting pad (all else being equal like compound) and a slightly cooler pad in some instances. Just an all around great reliable brake that is nearly identical to the much more expensive Saints but without the tool free adjustments. They require an allen wrench for adjustments. The best part is you can get each one out the door for $150. It's not cheap but it's a lot of brake for the money.

I transferred my WTB Laser saddle over to it from my hardtail, my most favorite seat ever.

The part that ruins the bike..... the shock. It sucks. I'm one of the few that like the supposedly over damped '14 Fox CTD fork but the shock which most liked ok I absolutely despise. It's just not made for my weight. If I set it up with 15% sag it blows through travel just riding off of a curb. I installed the biggest volume reducer and then had to make a couple more. It's not recommended and it's probably dangerous but it really transformed the ride. It now has great small bump compliance, great traction over anything and doesn't blow through travel. It could still use a little more toward the end of travel though. Even with the spring portion taken care of, it sorely lacks damping for my weight. I was going to experiment with a thicker oil but I'm just going to get a different shock.

Other than the rear shock I absolutely love this bike. For me, it's the ultimate do it all bike. It's 28lbs, climbs very well. It's well mannered up hill, on tight trails with switchbacks, and it descends like a mini downhill bike. There are bikes that will outdo it in one or two areas but this is about as good as it gets if you can only own one bike for everything.

Anyone have suggestions for the shock? I'm seriously considering the Cane Creek shock since it's so adjustable. I was a power lifter so most of my 240lbs is muscle or I would lost weight to help out. I no longer compete and can probably cut down to 220lbs but at that weight I won't have any fat left to lose. I'm sure the muscle will go away over time but I need a shock that will deal with at least 220lbs on a regular basis and the CC shocks seem to be the only ones that will work for me so far.

I had no idea mountain biking could be so addictive and I never thought I would be so stupid as to buy a bike like this but I guess it beats spending the same amount on beer every few months like I used to do lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back