OUCH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That tennis racket works against a few...but yellow jackets will come at you en masse and you can swing all you want but they will win!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The foaming wasp spray works well for me. The jet spray goes 15+ feet, and one droplet will pretty much take them down.

Sorry to hear about this, I have been there myself. Hot summer temps make them aggressive. A cool morning might be the best time to attack them. Good luck.

I had good luck with that, but I found the cheaper stuff gives the insect a fighting chance. I forget the name of the product my paint supplier sells but the spray bomb is yellow. It hits them and kills them instantly. The cheaper spray bomb kills them but you can count, one one thousand, two one thousand.... that gives them a shot at last licks.

I wish I could remember the product names.

I go out early AM, first light. They are least active then.

All the commercial wasp sprays are good, instant knockdown,

You have to be a good aim!

Before you do battle, have some tobacco on hand, (if you don't smoke or chew, bum a cigarette from someone who does).

When you get stung, break open the cigarette and make a small pile of the tobacco in the palm of your hand. Wet the tobacco, (spit or water - not a lot - a teaspoon of water will do). Make a "wad" of the wet tobacco and apply directly to the area where you were stung. Leave it there for about twenty minutes. It will pull all the poison out and you will not swell. Works for me every time.

There are yellow jackets that live in the ground or in rotted wood. I think these are a type of bald-faced hornet. Very aggressive and really sting. Far worse than a red wasp for instance. Feels like being stabbed with a hot soldering iron. Burns for hours afterwards....

I've dealt with them three times: twice in the ground, once inside an old rail-road tie. I used a large soup pot of water heated to about 165°F with a healthy squirt of dishsoap. First you have to locate the nest in the ground. Wait until late evening after dark or early morning, then slowly pour in all the hot water. Seal off the hole with a rock pushed into the mud. Done!

BTW a cheap badmitten racket makes for a highly effective wasp-swatter. They don't even know what hit them.....I keep one hanging in the garage.

The bald faced hornets like these are vicious. They will go out of their way to sting you just because you are there. You don't even have to be "there", just within range.

2919baldf.w.jpg

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
There are yellow jackets that live in the ground or in rotted wood. I think these are a type of bald-faced hornet. Very aggressive and really sting. Far worse than a red wasp for instance. Feels like being stabbed with a hot soldering iron. Burns for hours afterwards....

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The bald faced hornets like these are vicious. They will go out of their way to sting you just because you are there. You don't even have to be "there", just within range.

2919baldf.w.jpg

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

I got stung many years ago by something that looked just like it. It came flying out of a hole in the ground, did some fancy maneuvers, a fake and stung me on the side. Boy did that hurt. I waited until it got dark shot carb cleaner in the hole and lit it. Problem solved.

The ones I (painfully) encountered had more rear-end yellow bands. They're called eastern yellow jackets. They are a type of hornet. Very aggressive and capable of repeated stings, unlike bees. They tend to peak in July and later die out in the Fall. The queen hibernates in the ground to emerge in late Spring.

They're known to invade your Summer picnic and favor anything brightly colored & sugary, like ginger ale, coke, sprite, etc. A new-to-me defense is oily cooking spray. It won't kill them on contact, but they become too heavy to fly when coated with it and the spray won't contaminate your drinks or food.

Don't forget the badminton racket.....

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
No joke, get a large container, 3 qt or more, put a good helping of dawn dish soap, fill with water. Then early in the morning (they're quiet and at the nest), sneak up and douse the nest with the soapy solution. Kills them all almost instantly. The soap film suffocates them.

Oh, and after you fling the water, RUN!!!

If it kills them almost instantly, why do you need to run?

If you happen to miss, they just get peeved (been there).

Get a can of Brake Klean, it does kill them instantly, hose down the nest until it's soaked through and wait till the next day. Shouldn't be any survivors after the hose down.

If you can't find the nest, go get yourself a couple bug bombs and smoke the place out then go on a recon mission and find the nest, if survivors exist hose them down with the Brake Klean. Yellow jackets are extremely aggressive, the bald faced hornets (we call them blackjacks here) are about the only thing that's worse and they are very persistent once one stings you. They release an attack pheremone at the sting sight which basically designates you a threat to the nest and lights you up on their radar. I've been chased over 200' by a [censored] of swarm after tearing a nest in half that was attached to doors of a shed, got 5-6 stings out of that one and delegated the recon mission to my younger brother and a can of spray, he got hit a few times during the incursion and was pretty mad about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back