Some cut-open, virgin oil filter photos, if you're interested...

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
You will find them at FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts). This project isn't complete, and when it is, I'll put an "original" post at BITOG.

grin.gif

Nice work, B.O.D.
Since I'm currently running the M1-301 on my VW, I decided to paste the M1-301 & M1-301EP into one picture for comparison. Here it is:

Pictures below

[ September 27, 2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Dave:

Was I seeing it right? Was the SuperTech media off center and not bonded entirely to the endcap?

Interesting how the NAPA Gold "Giganto" does not have the red (silicone) ADBV. Or maybe it is silicone, just black.

Nice job positioning the components so that everything is visible in one shot for each filter.

Thanks for doing this Big O Dave.
patriot.gif
Look forward to seeing the full post on BITOG.

quote:

Originally posted by BigAl:
Dave:

Was I seeing it right? Was the SuperTech media off center and not bonded entirely to the endcap?

Sure appears to be off center.

quote:

Dave:

I knew someone (you!) would catch that... I took the base endcap off so I could remove the center tube, and for the photo, I turned it around so the removed endcap wouldn't show... it's just sitting there, unattached, behind the filter element.

Good catch!
smile.gif

The SUPERTECH filters used to be the best filter for the money. They were and still are made by Ac Delco,but they(ACD) changed their design(made it cheaper) a few months ago. It kinda ticked me off when ACD did this. I have now gone back to using Purolators or Pep Boy's Purolator "house" brand PROLINE.

Supertechs are not made by AC Delco. They are made by Champion Laboratories. As are the STPs. At least some AC Delco filters are also made by Champion.

In fact, I am coming around to thinking that Supertech filters may even be a slightly better value than in the past. I like a lot of the features of the E-core design. (Threaded end bypass, wide open center cage, low cost) I still question some things though (effectiveness of bypass and smaller physical size).

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:

quote:

Dave:

I knew someone (you!) would catch that... I took the base endcap off so I could remove the center tube, and for the photo, I turned it around so the removed endcap wouldn't show... it's just sitting there, unattached, behind the filter element.

Good catch!
smile.gif

Just when I was thinking it was safe to go near the ST shelf again. It does sound like they come apart easily, but not by themselves in use.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
[QB] I'm re-posting the two M1 filter pics from my first post. My original post made this thread un-readable....sorry.

So, except for the can color, are there any differences in the filters? They sure look the same to me. Even the appearance of the filter media looks the same.

I smell a marketing ploy..... (or I stepped in something).
rolleyes.gif

I bet that in some applications they will stay the same because of them having to phisically fit safely. In others they can oversize them. Am I mistaken or is that the Purolator string aroung the Motorcrafts? I thought they were generally Camp made.

quote:

Originally posted by bmwguy:

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
[QB] I'm re-posting the two M1 filter pics from my first post. My original post made this thread un-readable....sorry.

So, except for the can color, are there any differences in the filters? They sure look the same to me. Even the appearance of the filter media looks the same.

I smell a marketing ploy..... (or I stepped in something).
rolleyes.gif

There was extensive testing both in the lab and in real world applications. One being a fleet of taxi cabs. Oil anaylsis was used.

Mobil was given various options of media to choose from.

What you see in the extended Mobil 1 is a different media than what they previously had.

Cut open any media that is cellulose ( paper) based and it should be some sort of buff brown color. Because the resins in the media are oven cured on the production line.

There are some cellulose medias that appear whiteish. These are media supplier cured. Although not generally used in oil filters. Mainly air filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:
Wavin, you need to get a big ol' truck... that way' it's easier to change the oil and filter, and SEE the filter.
tongue.gif

Of course, with a big ol' truck, you would also see gas stations a lot more, too.
shocked.gif

I've got an Expedition.
smile.gif
The wife drives it. It's much easier to change the oil in the Expy than the VW.

But I actually enjoy doing the oil changes more on the VW......weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back