Pennzoil HM 5w20 in new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: bigt61
High mileage oil is a drug for a car that needs it. I would never use it on a new car. Down the road when you do need it, it will be less effective if it's been used for the car's whole life. Drug companies used to say antibiotics were safe for anything that ailed you, even skin flare ups. We're finding out now that wasn't a good idea. Use a HM oil when you need it, not before.

Are you saying that his neighbor's car will develop a tolerance to high mileage oils if used when new, and if and when a seal starts to leak they won't have any positive effects?

Now I've heard it all on this site!

No doubt! If he's right, I better stop using hand lotion immediately, or I'll end up building up a resistance to it and it will stop working!

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Your neighbor sounds pretty naive...

Naive? no. Misinformed? maybe. But not because he is using a HM oil. More so because the PNZL HM doesn't meet all the specs. We are to meet API SM^ / ILSAC GF-4^. PNZL HM only meets API SN, no ILSAC or seal. I'll introduce him to GTX HM and Maxlife.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: bigt61
High mileage oil is a drug for a car that needs it. I would never use it on a new car. Down the road when you do need it, it will be less effective if it's been used for the car's whole life. Drug companies used to say antibiotics were safe for anything that ailed you, even skin flare ups. We're finding out now that wasn't a good idea. Use a HM oil when you need it, not before.

Are you saying that his neighbor's car will develop a tolerance to high mileage oils if used when new, and if and when a seal starts to leak they won't have any positive effects?

Now I've heard it all on this site!

No doubt! If he's right, I better stop using hand lotion immediately, or I'll end up building up a resistance to it and it will stop working!

Nooo Nooo... you gotta use lotion when the skin is already cracked and bleeding! **tongue and cheek of course**

^^^what CELICA XX said^^^

HM oils, while not of the "snake" variety, are pretty much a marketing gimmick. I've never understood why every car suddenly needs HM oil at 75,000 miles. My ex's Mercury Marauder has over 185,000 miles on MC 5W-20 early on and PP 5W-30 after we bought it.

The 2.4L Hyundai motors are notorious oil leakers. I've had 2 leak from the the timing chain covers and one from the oil pan. The leaks were so bad HM oil wouldn't have made a difference. That being said I'd just run the spec'd oil recommended at the correct warranty interval.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
The 2.4L Hyundai motors are notorious oil leakers. I've had 2 leak from the the timing chain covers and one from the oil pan.

Can't say i've seen a rash of these leak complaints on the Hyundai forums. A few? yes, 2010-2012. I hope you get that spuared away.

Last edited:
Hyundai advised that being an SN certified oil, it would be perfectly fine to use the Pennzoil HM since it surpasses the recommended spec is SM. They prefer Resource Conserving but it isnt necessary for warranty purposes. OCI/Viscosity/API doughnut are what's most important. As long as any oil meets this, it doesnt matter if its High Mileage or not.

PNZL HM is also recommended for new cars as seen on their website and video. Im all in, as is my neighbor.

Last edited:
Its a mather of personal taste,i believe in mobil delvac1 le5w30 for my car .will i reap the benefit?likely not ,will i have a long duration engine .yes .but i aint fedex (with their diesel vw golf clocking 900000 miles )so i would probably be as good with plain good old school premium conventional valvoline oil and call it a day .on average price is more important.(within the oil viscosity and api recommended by the car manufacturer

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Its a mather of personal taste,i believe in mobil delvac1 le5w30 for my car .will i reap the benefit?likely not ,will i have a long duration engine .yes .but i aint fedex (with their diesel vw golf clocking 900000 miles )so i would probably be as good with plain good old school premium conventional valvoline oil and call it a day .on average price is more important.(within the oil viscosity and api recommended by the car manufacturer

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back