following the users manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
When in doubt, I most often go by the users manual, but my 95 Geo Prizm states oil change 3000 / 3 months 10w30. I know this is old days thinking, but the car is only 20 years old. Did the gm and Toyota engineers really not know or was the oil that bad back then? Fyi, at 65mph, the Rpm is over 3000 and it only hold about 3.2 quarts of oil (w filter change). I guess the only way to really know what is a correct OCI is through UOA. I have Penz ultra 5w30 in now. Your thoughts.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
or was the oil that bad back then?

That's most likely the reason. Oil has improved much since then, especially mineral oil.

Quote:

I have Penz ultra 5w30 in now. Your thoughts.

I'd say you should be able to easily double the oil change interval suggested by your manual. You could possibly go even longer, but may want to do a UOA to verify how it's doing.

With a sump of only 3.2 quarts, I would change the oil every 6 months or 6000 miles since you are using a high quality synthetic.

I would not bother with a UOA because that would cost as much or more than an oil change. Im not sure the information you would gain would ever result in saving money and extending the OCI

Happy motoring.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
When in doubt, I most often go by the users manual, but my 95 Geo Prizm states oil change 3000 / 3 months 10w30. I know this is old days thinking, but the car is only 20 years old. Did the gm and Toyota engineers really not know or was the oil that bad back then? Fyi, at 65mph, the Rpm is over 3000 and it only hold about 3.2 quarts of oil (w filter change). I guess the only way to really know what is a correct OCI is through UOA. I have Penz ultra 5w30 in now. Your thoughts.

I don't think it was because the oil was so bad, as I have a 1995 Acura and the manual states every 7,500 miles/6 months in normal driving. 3,750 miles/3 months for severe driving.

Small sump, inferior oil compared to today.

You are probably out of warranty,
thankyou2.gif
so a UOA and extension sounds like good sense.

I guess you could do what you want, but I would probably stick with what I had done over the lifetime of the vehicle regardless of what oils are now. After all, it is less than 4 quarts. Not like one is having to take out a loan to get an oil change. On a newer made vehicle with larger capacity, I could be persuaded to stretch the drains out a little. Not so much for your situation. But some just love to play "what if" games. Especially with other folk's vehicles.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I guess you could do what you want, but I would probably stick with what I had done over the lifetime of the vehicle regardless of what oils are now. After all, it is less than 4 quarts. Not like one is having to take out a loan to get an oil change. On a newer made vehicle with larger capacity, I could be persuaded to stretch the drains out a little. Not so much for your situation. But some just love to play "what if" games. Especially with other folk's vehicles.

I've only owned the vehicle for 3 months. I use it to go 4 miles per day during the week and errands etc on the weekends. So I may average 5-6k per year. I have a good size stash of Penz ultra 5w30, so I will use that up , 1 year OCI. But after 3000 miles I'll start being more observant of the way the car runs and sounds.

Your one year OCI seems like sound logic at that annual mileage. I'd advise to just check the level regularly with that small of a sump capacity and keep it at the top of the hash marks on the stick.

That's what a 1.8L?
I had a '93 Mazda 2.0L that had 3.7qt sump (took 3.5 for a change), so similar sump:displacement.
Owners manual: 3750/7500 severe/normal - I split the difference at 5k. With a good oil, your yearly OCI should be no problem.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
You don't say the odometer mileage. If it was mine, I'd be comfortable using a premium oil filter, QS Defy and 4K OCIs. Two jugs at Walmart will give you 3 oil changes.

It's a 1.6l with 127k mikes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back