Done with Chrome, switched to Firefox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is really interesting stuff. I have put xubuntu on 3 machines (2 PCs 1 LT) of all older hardware. The general boot time for Xubuntu is about 8 seconds. I have never seen XP boot in less than 15-20 sec.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
That is really interesting stuff. I have put xubuntu on 3 machines (2 PCs 1 LT) of all older hardware. The general boot time for Xubuntu is about 8 seconds. I have never seen XP boot in less than 15-20 sec.

Do you and I define "boot" differently? I define "boot" as going from a cold, power-off state to at the first user interactive environment (either a desktop screen or a log-in screen).

I'm not even sure my machines are fully done POSTing until about 5-6 seconds in (from a cold state). It takes about 25-30 seconds from power-off to get a desktop in Xubuntu for me. A fresh install of XP beats it by a few seconds (on the same hardware).

On a Compaq laptop I have which dual-boots Xubuntu and Windows 7, Xubuntu beats 7 to a desktop screen by a good number of seconds. Still, it's at least 20-30 seconds before Xubuntu is ready to go, and probably 45 before 7 is ready to go.

If you get a Xubuntu desktop in 8 seconds from a power-off state, I'd like to see a YouTube video of that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Do you and I define "boot" differently? I define "boot" as going from a cold, power-off state to at the first user interactive environment (either a desktop screen or a log-in screen).

I'm not even sure my machines are fully done POSTing until about 5-6 seconds in (from a cold state). It takes about 25-30 seconds from power-off to get a desktop in Xubuntu for me. A fresh install of XP beats it by a few seconds (on the same hardware).

On a Compaq laptop I have which dual-boots Xubuntu and Windows 7, Xubuntu beats 7 to a desktop screen by a good number of seconds. Still, it's at least 20-30 seconds before Xubuntu is ready to go, and probably 45 before 7 is ready to go.

If you get a Xubuntu desktop in 8 seconds from a power-off state, I'd like to see a YouTube video of that.
wink.gif

the OS is only responsible for a certain amount of the total boot time. Comparing the times of "pushing the button" to desktop isn't the proper way to measure boot time for comparison to other devices. After hardware posting is complete and the BIOS starts reading from the MBR, that is when boot times start to be measured for comparison purposes. Most then proceed to stop when you hit a login or desktop.

If someone has a raid setup, for example, there is a good 5+ sec or more of added boot time that has nothing to do with the OS due to the added enabling of the raid controller which has its own startup routine. Every motherboard, bios, and setup has different amount of time required for hardware recognition and BIOS loading. This doesn't even take into account the different speeds of hard drives themselves which STILL affects the OS boot time.

Last edited:
I understand that POST and other hardware start-up isn't the OS's fault, but I come at it from the perspective from the end user: I still have to wait for it. That's why I said earlier that I don't fault Xubuntu or Windows for slower boot/start-up times; the hardware platform plays a part, too.

It would be easy to measure pure OS boot times on my laptop. The process stops at the GRUB. Once a selection is made, I presume a direct comparison could be made between different OSes. I will also measure my eMachines with fresh XP and estimate its boot time based on when I start to hear constant HDD activity (no GRUB or OS selection screen on that one). Chrome devices don't really have a POST (or it's at least very brief). You're literally from power-is-off to log-in screen in about 5 seconds.

you might be able to enabled detailed boot within the chrome device's bios. it is probably set to silent or quick.

From off-cold to ready-to-use in five seconds?
I haven't tried ChromeOS, but even the nicer Android devices I've tried take over 30 seconds before they are ready for user interaction.
It is different when they are on warm standby.
Even Windows comes to full life from standby in less than two seconds on modern laptops.
And more off-topic, you haven't seen a slow POST routine until you wait for a loaded server to boot.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
From off-cold to ready-to-use in five seconds?
I haven't tried ChromeOS, but even the nicer Android devices I've tried take over 30 seconds before they are ready for user interaction.

I think mobile devices are different. My iPhone takes at LEAST 30 seconds to boot from being off.

Okay...maybe my Chromebook is actually closer to 8 seconds. Here's a similar one:

I use google chrome for the cast extension to use with my chromecast. I live stream tv and watch on demand tv shows.

On my laptop, I measured how long it took the OS to load the desktop from the time I pressed at the GRUB screen to load one of them.

Xubuntu: 50 seconds
Windows 7: 45 seconds

Those times are somewhat misleading, though, because Xubuntu is ready to go by about 55 seconds, while Windows is still loading wireless drivers and such, and it's not really ready to go until about 60 seconds.

Still...both of them take a significant amount of time to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back