Maxlife Blend 20w-50 2500 miles 1991 BMW R100GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
That promised UOA of Maxlife Blend from my 1991 Boxer Twin is finally here. I am stunned. There is nothing amiss.

wixUOA.jpg

This was in the bike for about 13 months. Wix listed it as Maxlife Full Syn but it is just the blend. Crankcase capacity is 2.6qt with filter change. Am I missing something? Heck the air filter is 8 years old. It has used this same oil for about 25K at 2500 mi intervals. New OEM filter Refilled with same but did not change filter. Added 8oz of fresh oil at 1500 miles into the OCI. TBN blew me away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting UOA. Looks good!

The R100GS has a dry clutch, right? What oil does the manual recommend, out of curiousity? Any differences with the dry clutch?

Yes the clutch is a dry clutch and still the original. For my riding temps BMW recommends 20w-50 at 4K intevals. When the bike was new 21 years ago it was for a SG grade IIRC. Last time I saw it with the valve covers off it was spotless with very light varnish. 98% of Beemers have dry clutches which keeps metal shaving out of the oil. I dont drive it easy but it rarely goes above 6K. Its like to run between 4K and 6K and has oodles of torque available on demand at anything over 2500 RPM. No downshifting required.

that bike will out live you!!!

my only comments are:

iron 4
lead of 3
copper 2
tin 1
alum 8
nickel 1

where does the lead come from?
would copper be from a tranny shaft bushing?
tin from where?
is alum from pistons or shift forks or where?
iron 4 and nickel 1 seems VERY nice!!!

yes, these values are very low. and truely of no concern, but interesting to find out about.

my only concern is WHY DONT YOU RIDE IT MORE!!!! ????
that motor is new!

dang dont do anything different except go 4k on the next oci!

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh

These values are very low. and truely of no concern, but interesting to find out about.

that motor is new!

steve

Sunruh,

Have never done a UOA on the bike. I was happy with the numbers considering % of time it spends above 4K. Only the aluminum even caught my eye, and probably just from % of time at higher RPM.

It will probably outlive my riding years. Will probably ride more in the near future. A year ago I weighed 40 lb more than I do now, back then there were times I was at my maximum effort to move it around manually. Much better now
smile.gif

The bike is probably the most virgin 91-95 GS you will see. The only non-stock item is the Progressive Suspension rear shock, and that wasn't until this spring, when the original Billy blew its seal.

hermann,
keep doing what you are doing and dont worry a bit.
that maxlife looks like a perfect match for your motor.
there are cars (lots of them actually) that cant match that uoa.
make sure you look at the pepboys/oreily/autozone... ads for specials. you have a WINNER!

steve

Originally Posted By: hal2626
Great UOA. Hope you are holding up well after your recent loss. God be with you...

Thanks, may the peace of the Lord, be with you always.

ght,

depends on the design.

some are just motors.

some are motors AND transmissions (shared sump).

and that makes a HUGE difference!

some spin many more rpms than others (like 8k-10k more!!!)

some have the cam run directly on the head, no bearing at all, just oil to support it.

in the gixxer/r1/r6/ninja/cbr-rr and yzf/crf/kxf/rmz lines you have an F1 motor and tranny that can spin 14k+ they tend to chew oil up if it has too many viscosity improvers.

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh

my only comments are:

iron 4
lead of 3
copper 2
tin 1
alum 8
nickel 1

where does the lead come from? Main and rod big end bearings likely.
would copper be from a tranny shaft bushing? No. The transmission is separate
tin from where? Same place as lead
is alum from pistons or shift forks or where? The engine is alloy as are pistons
iron 4 and nickel 1 seems VERY nice!!!

yes, these values are very low. and truely of no concern, but interesting to find out about.

that motor is new!

dang dont do anything different except go 4k on the next oci!

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back