Pennzoil HM 5w20 in new car

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
My next door neighbor was changing his oil today and using PHM (Pennzoil High Milage) 5w20. His car is a 2013 KIA Optima 2.4 GDi with 22000 miles. I asked, why the HM oil? His response was interesting...

The SN certification is current and above the required SM
On Pennzoil's website, it is one step above PYB
It uses conditioners, not swellers, and more cleaning additives than PYB
and it covers your car, as do all Pnnzl oils, for 300K miles

Like I said, interesting.

How many of you use HM oil in your newer car?

Last edited:
I don't use it, but I see no problem at all with it. His reasoning seems sound, but I'd imagine you don't really "need" it in most high mileage cars, much less a new engine, probably not getting much benefit if any. Still, seems fine with me. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

I think the interpretation of "conditioners" vs "swellers" by many people is COMPLETELY blown out of proportion and hardly matters if even at all.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
I don't use it, but I see no problem at all with it. His reasoning seems sound, but I'd imagine you don't really "need" it in most high mileage cars, much less a new engine, probably not getting much benefit if any. Still, seems fine with me. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

I agree. He also mentioned, why wait for the seals to crack and become brittle when with preventative maintenance, you can keep them conditioned.

I personally only use HM oils in cars that leak or burn oil... aka both of my cars.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I think the interpretation of "conditioners" vs "swellers" by many people is COMPLETELY blown out of proportion and hardly matters if even at all.

+1

So, we should wait for the engine to burn oil and leak before we use a product that can help prevent it to begin with? This has never made sense to me. Especially if the oil meets the API spec for your vehicle as well as the vis reqmnts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
So, we should wait for the engine to burn oil and leak before we use a product that can help prevent it to begin with? This has never made sense to me. Especially if the oil meets the API spec for your vehicle as well as the vis reqmnts.

No one said that. My belief is that todays oils will have the necessary seal conditioners in them already, and other necessary additives. The concentration may be lower than in a high mileage but that is ok. And to prevent burning oil, changing the oil at appropriate intervals for your driving style, and drive like you should, allowing your engine to warm up before flogging it. Having said that, your neighbor is right, the oil meets the specs of Hyundai so it wont be doing any harm.

Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil & Mobil1, Chevron and Shell...all advise HM oil being safe to use in modern/new vehicles if meeting oem's API, viscosity requirements.
21.gif

Last edited:
High mileage oil is a drug for a car that needs it. I would never use it on a new car. Down the road when you do need it, it will be less effective if it's been used for the car's whole life. Drug companies used to say antibiotics were safe for anything that ailed you, even skin flare ups. We're finding out now that wasn't a good idea. Use a HM oil when you need it, not before.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
High mileage oil is a drug for a car that needs it. I would never use it on a new car. Down the road when you do need it, it will be less effective if it's been used for the car's whole life. Drug companies used to say antibiotics were safe for anything that ailed you, even skin flare ups. We're finding out now that wasn't a good idea. Use a HM oil when you need it, not before.

Are you saying that his neighbor's car will develop a tolerance to high mileage oils if used when new, and if and when a seal starts to leak they won't have any positive effects?

Now I've heard it all on this site!

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

Are you saying that his neighbor's car will develop a tolerance to high mileage oils if used when new, and if and when a seal starts to leak they won't have any positive effects?

Now I've heard it all on this site!

+1

Especially since Castrol's and Valvoline's HM line is not only API SN, but ILSAC GF-5 with the starbust seal on the front of the jug. That is what Technical Support of each of those companies referenced when called. Pennzoil doesnt have the starburst or ILSAC approval and i'm not sure about Mobil's line.

Yeah, I'd like to hear a logical discussion on this too.

Also I'm not clear on the link between antibiotics and high mileage oil.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yeah, I'd like to hear a logical discussion on this too.

Also I'm not clear on the link between antibiotics and high mileage oil.

Me neither but very imaginative though.
wink.gif

Your neighbor sounds pretty naive...

1. The HM oil sits "above" PYB because it's marketed as an second tier product and it's more expensive.

2. The word "conditioners" sounds better than "swellers" and that's why it's used in their product catalog.

3. If he likes that Pennzoil comparison chart so much, he must have skipped over the "Designed for Today's Advanced Engines" metric, in which it's shown as the WORST.

The HM oil may meet the spec, but I don't see how anyone could argue that a top tier synthetic drained at appropriate intervals wouldn't be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back