Car Jack Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
sams club has a michelin brand rapid pump jack for 99$

looks great... low profile too.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Can't help but ask - are the 2-ton $20 to $30 jacks Advance or PepBoy's sell any good or am I just setting myself up for frustration shortly.

Example: AutoCraft 2-Ton Hydraulic Trolley Jack

Point of reference - as of now I'd be a pretty low user right now but would like to start doing more as I'm learning. Heaviest car as of now is a Cruze, and likely won't have anything heavier for a while. I don't mind "splurging" for the Harbor Freight 3-ton (that was my plan) if it's comparatively much better.

I started out with one of those cheap 2 ton jacks from WM about 17 years ago. They are ok for basic work on a car. What you soon find out is if you need to lift anything higher to crawl under it such as for exhaust work or if you need to lift any vehicle that is heavy that the puny jacks won't cut it.

Save your money and buy something in the $70-120 price range that can lift 3 tons and try to get a rapid pump jack. If your budget does't allow for that price then look for a used jack online in your area.

Regards, JC.

I bought the Snap-on Race Jack set six years ago and it has worked flawlessly.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Costco has a pretty nice Arcan "hybrid" Al/Steel 2.5T jack 50lb; height 4-18.5 for $99

+1. I have an Arcan all aluminum jack I got at costco for either $100 or $200 years ago and I love it. Nice big saddle, long handle, pumps quickly, and very easy to control when lowering to avoid an abrupt drop.

I bought the big aluminum 2-ton Craftsman jack about ten years ago. Recently it started creaking and lost a bit of power; I topped off the oil and it's back to being as good as ever.

The only thing I don't like about it is the physical size can be tricky to work with in a smaller garage, but the lift height makes up for it.

My first Costco jack lasted about 20 years, I think it cost about 50 bucks. Ten years ago I replaced it with the Costco offering at that time, probably about 80 bucks and had the two stage pump which is nice. That one I still use today, but not that often anymore. Both were made in china. Just buy one with the features you want, the cost per year that you will have it is cheap. Costco will also take it back if there is a problem.

Last edited:
I've had a orange HF low-profile steel jack for about 4 years now. Thing's a beast, and fits nicely under both our fairly low cars.

Got in on a miataforum group buy for a AC Hydraulics - blue - jack many years ago. Can't remember the price but it was about 200 bucks. Even though I am not a mechanic, it's still one of my best tool purchases. It's not a super low profile one so for my S2000 I still need to drive up on a pair of 2 X 4 home made ramps in order to reach the center jack point. But it's perfect for my other rides.

HAd a walmart 2 ton jack it quit after a year, maybe 3 uses.

IF you have to lift a truck/suv you need probably at least 21" jack.

My harbor freight is 3 ton I think, 21". Heavy but doesnt leave the garage. Does NOT let the car down easy.

I never jack the car to do oil changes though. If I need a little more room I think id get some 2x8 or 2x10 blocks to drive up on. Way lower than ramps even. Im just afraid to go under a lifted car.

Quote:
Does NOT let the car down easy.

If you haven't tried bleeding the air out and adding a little hydraulic fluid (if it's low) that may help. My new HF 3 ton low profile dropped pretty fast until did these things. It's perfect, now.

After going through 7 floor jacks in the last 10 years, I bought an OTC racing jack #1532 2 ton. Found a good deal online at $265. The jack has a twin cylinder pump and a lifetime warranty. As soon as my other jacks gives me any grief, I'll buy another one. I love having 3 floor jacks. Then on some vehicles you can lift the whole thing using 2 jacks front and 1 in the middle on the rear.

Originally Posted By: firefighter0629
I am interesting in purchasing a car jack. Any recommendations on a 3 ton rapid jack? I am curious how the Harbor Freight ones perform? I only have two vehicles and do 4 oil changes a year, suggestions?

A couple of thoughts. I suck in my gut a little and get under my vehicles on the ground to change oil. If they were too low I would use a set of ramps, not a jack.

Remember the jack will only lift 50% at max of the vehicle. I use a 1 1/2 ton Craftsman jack or a 8 ton bottle jack for most jacking tasks. I do have a 3+ ton jack but its heavy (as it should be) and I only use it to lift up the back of my Bobcat which is over 6000 lbs. (The front I lift with the bucket). Its heavy to drag around when my 1 1/2 ton will do.

I was going back and forth on several 3+ ton jacks but ended up with "The Beast", which makes the HF and others look like a lightweight.

Picture of "The Beast" in an old post:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ack#Post3193941

I'll be vague here
Those real cheap, stamped metal jacks-the $40 ones-are to be avoided.
They twist even when you're on level ground.

MY GOOD LUCK: I found a discarded 3 ton jack and merely brought the cylinder to a repair shop.
Voila', a big, safer, stronger jack for $30. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back