Honest opinions on these two tires ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Ok local shop i have previously bought from has AVID Ascend's with 70,000 mile tread warranty at $730.00 OTD and ive got them on the Accord and so far so good.

Went to walmart today and they have the goodyear assurance's for $644 OTD with the same roadhazzard, tread warranty etc..

I have ZERO experience with Good Year's most all my experience is with Yoko's, Dunlops, Mich's etc..

Pros ? Con's ? obviously there is a price difference..

This will go on the 06 Milan in my Sig, DD in Indiana, all season all weather tire needed.

Also, the WalMart is about 10 min from my home, the other shop is closer to 20 min.. and we do shop Walmart alot so the car could be serviced (tire services) while we shop)

Thought?

I assume Both Prices include the TPMS Sensor and Band Replacement?
IIRC, This age of Ford Product the TPMS sensor is held to the center of the wheel with a really big hose clamp, and they are both supposed to be replaced with each tire change.

When My Folks replaced the 18" Pirelli's on Mom's 09 Taurus last Summer, it was around $900. $450 or so of which was the tires themselves.

Last edited:
I've run Goodyear Tripletred for the last 8 years or so. Gone through about 3 sets of them at this stage. They were rated for 80k and I think I got 50-60k out of them, but I did get rid of them when they 4-5/32's so they probably had another 10k or more on them, I just didn't want to go into the winter with that little tread on them. Otherwise they were great. Last set I got was a great deal at a local Goodyear store. They happened to be having a buy 3 get one free sale and then they also had a $160 rebate when you bought 4. Incidentally, Assurance is a line of their tires, they have fuelmax, comfortred and tripletred. Tripletred is the more agressive of the three. They might be a bit noisier than the other two, but I'd rather have better traction/handling than a quieter tire. Who wants a quiet tire while you crash into the car in front of you?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Seems like an awful lot of money for tires that aren't going on an SUV or a pickup.

+1; especially when the depreciation is 100%

I wish i could do better local, however with 17 inch rims its not easy. The best deal i found was some funny named tire at walmart (walmart specific tire) that had a 40,000 life and they were $440.00 for straight up cheap generic tires..

Ok the YOKO'S on Discount Tire are $148.00 each before tax with free shipping

The goodyears are $157 per tire, again before tax with free shipping and a $25 online only discount of some kind.

Both the above deals fall in the $600 neighborhood before tax and before the cost of having them installed. So the local prices arent as bad as they sound.

Having both my cars equiped with the 17 inch rims ads a bit to the tire costs
smile.gif

Suprising for $69 each.. never heard of them before tonight: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...&rbqs.ar=50

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Seems like an awful lot of money for tires that aren't going on an SUV or a pickup.

+1; especially when the depreciation is 100%

I wish i could do better local, however with 17 inch rims its not easy. The best deal i found was some funny named tire at walmart (walmart specific tire) that had a 40,000 life and they were $440.00 for straight up cheap generic tires..

Too bad that you don't have a Blain's Farm and Fleet down there in Terre Haute.

Does the Rural King in Marshall happen to sell car tires?

Something that hasn't been touched on: Local Shop va WalMart

I'm not a fan of big box stores. They tend to have what appears to be a HUGE selection, but what they really have is a collection of many popular items. For example, try to find a left handed screw at Lowes.

Big Box stores also are experts at nothing. They are merchandisers. They are shelves inside a building - and people who stock them.

WalMart is not only one of those, but price is the whole bottom line to them. They don't have expertise in any particular product. Their answer to any issue is exchange the product. I have no idea how they handle food.

In the case of tires, most of the time there aren't any issues. But when there are, diagnosising them is one area where WalMart has little expertise - and fixing them is something entirely different.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of poorly run shops. In some cases it's "I'm the only game in town" sort of attitude. Others it's "I would be doing other things if it weren't for the money, so why do it well?".

Those shops are very much like WalMart, in that they are fine so long as there aren't any issues.

But most shops care about their customers and they treat them well. AND they have developed the expertise to help folks through their problems.

Given the choice between a small shop and a big box store, I prefer the small shop - even if they are a bit more expense. Unfortunately, small shops are a dying breed.

The goodyears are $157 per tire, again before tax with free shipping and a $25 online only discount of some kind.

Both the above deals fall in the $600 neighborhood before tax and before the cost of having them installed. So the local prices arent as bad as they sound.

smile.gif

Suprising for $69 each.. never heard of them before tonight: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...&rbqs.ar=50

Have you considered the General Altimax RT43? They're much cheaper ($113) and are doing a $50 rebate right now plus $25 off if ordered online. I don't believe Discount Tire Direct charges tax in Indiana.

yoko's avid ascend is a great tire. I'd go with it because it has quality winter traction.

Also consider the speed rating issue. The OE tires were V-speed rated, per the Michelin site. Some shops won't install anything less than OE spec.

OTOH, if you can find a shop to install an H-rated tire, the car is not driven hard and winter traction is an issue, then consider the General Altimax HP, on closeout at TR. You can get it shipped to your door for less than $400 and installed for about $450---and if you order by July 31, you can get a $50 gift card rebate from General. Factor that in and you get a decent set of 17" tires for a hair less than $400, probably.

You can get the new General Altimax 43, in V-rated form, for $92 more than the HP. (at TR) Can't go wrong there, even if it's much closer to $500 than $400. Looks like DTD does not have the RT43 in V-rating, but it might be worth asking them about it.

Not a General fanboy, btw, but there have been some great online deals on Generals lately....good luck.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao

smile.gif

Have you considered the General Altimax RT43? They're much cheaper ($113) and are doing a $50 rebate right now plus $25 off if ordered online. I don't believe Discount Tire Direct charges tax in Indiana.

Yes! I just got these installed today.......only been one day but Im very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back