2011 Honda Oddy Coolant change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have never done a coolant change so I had it done at the dealer today. $49.95. I have 40k on the van now and I was wondering did I do it too soon? Also, when should it be done again if I did? Is it easy to change like my oil and tranny? Thanks for the help as I have no experience with changing coolant.

Usually the coolant in your van needs to be changed when your maintenance minder indicates '5' as a service code. I would say you did it early but it's done already. You can change it again in 5 years.

The service that was done for $49 was a drain and fill that's pretty easy to do yourself, but $49 is a decent price for genuine coolant.

$50 really isn't that bad for preventative maintenance like that. Sure you could've gone a little bit longer, but I'd always rather change coolant too early than too late.

Ok thanks guys. So I can do it again in 5 years? Sounds good. I'd like to know how to do it myself also. I guess I can go on youtube. Everyone talks about "burping" the coolant. What's that?

Burping the coolant means making sure there are no air bubbles left in the system after your service. On some cars this is done by opening a little plug near the thermostat and letting it flow until you get the air out. Your van may be different. I think you can find out how to do it on your van on google.

Hello, My brother got his Odyssey (a 2007) with 54K on the clock.
We did 2 drain and fills (with 1K driving between the 2) with genuine Honda coolant and now it looks like new.
Frankly, it wasn't that bad to start with.
Keeping the dirt level down in the first place is how it's done.
You done good. Kira

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Everyone talks about "burping" the coolant. What's that?

In Hondas with rear HVAC (and in other vehicles with rear HVAC, too, perhaps), it involves a lengthy procedure of turning the front and rear HVAC on hot and cold at certain intervals, revving the engine, turning it off, and checking the coolant level. Or at least this is how is with our '05 MDX with rear HVAC. As you might imagine, a vehicle with rear HVAC may have additional coolant lines running to remote heat exchangers and there's a possibility for air in these lines. If you had the coolant exchange done at the dealer, they should have performed the proper procedure. 50 bucks is a great price for that; the coolant itself likely retails for well over half of that (it probably took 2 gallons of the Honda blue coolant). In fact, I'm surprised that it was that cheap; it seems like that's something that they'd lose money on (and perhaps it was, to get you in the shop). It takes about an hour to do it properly.

I'd be interested to know if the 2011 Odyssey has a different and less time-consuming coolant exchange procedure in the service manual.

Well, I'M not made of money. If the coolant is good for 100k, oil for 10k, ATF for 40-50k,then why would any one waste money by changing at less than half that frequency? Each by itself may be inexpensive (if Did,) but it adds up.

IMO, regardless of cost, I feel that anything that's not needed is a 100% waste of money. It's like buying something, anything on sale that you just don't need.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Well, I'M not made of money. If the coolant is good for 100k, oil for 10k, ATF for 40-50k,then why would any one waste money by changing at less than half that frequency? Each by itself may be inexpensive (if Did,) but it adds up.

IMO, regardless of cost, I feel that anything that's not needed is a 100% waste of money. It's like buying something, anything on sale that you just don't need.

I'm with you. I've run the FF AF to the time for the Honda TB/water pump service, then subsequent 50-60k. And, I've only ever done 'single' ATF d&f's at ~25-30k intervals on the Honda's I maintain.

The 01 Civic went to 60k on the FF ATF, now that was before I joined bitog so I might have shortened that up to 25-30k miles as I've done on my Accord. But, check the 01 Civic AT on car compliants.com and now with ~210k on original AT and still shifting fine (knock wood). And the greater heresy may be using Maxlife and even some Castrol IMV after Z1 superseded.

That said if I had to pick, imo the trans service d&f's are significantly more important than more frequent than recommended AF d&f service.

Was that a drain and fill............... which gets about half................ or a complete coolant change? I'll bet they never touched the reservoir to clean it as in the FSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back