2003 Ford Escape Air bag code 47

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had problems with my Escape air bag light for years. (code 46 and 47 both front seat connections) Ford had a recall on them, and installed new wire harnesses for free, but when I picked up the vehicle and drove it home the light came back on as I pulled into the driveway. At that point I gave up...

Here is the TSB:

Some 2001-2004 Escape vehicles may exhibit an intermittent air bag lamp on and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1877 and/or B1881. This may be caused by a variation in the electrical continuity between the pins of the driver and/or passenger side wiring harness and the buckle pretensioner connector. If this condition were to occur, the air bag system remains fully functional.

ACTION:
Install a replacement harness connector kit ON BOTH the driver and passenger safety belt buckle pretensioners, even if the DTC is present for only one side. The kit includes improved connector halves to replace the existing connectors on both the body harness and the safety belt buckle pretensioner.

One kit is required per side (2 kits per vehicle). Refer to the instruction sheet included in the kit for complete repair procedure.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
4L8Z-78610E22-A Connector Kit (Order 2 Kits Per Vehicle)

I decided to fix it again, and cut off the connectors under the seat and soldered the wires. That fix worked for 4 days, now the light is back. Reading the TSB, the only thing it can be is the seat "pretensioners"

How are the pretensioners causing this code? My search has come up with a possible RCM internal fault. (restraints control module) that controls the pretensioners

Last edited:
I had a code in the daughters Focus. I started unplugging and plugging back in all the connectors several times and adding Motorcraft di-electric grease on the last plug in. This action scrapes the contacts to remove slight corrosion that builds up and causes the light, then the grease prevents further corrosion. The light finally went out when I did that to the two large connectors on the airbag computer. BEWARE, only unplug or plug in air bag sensors or connectors with the battery disconnected, and waiting 10 minutes for everything to lose power. (Check your manual for proper procedure) Light has not come back on in several months.

I cleaned the yellow under seat connectors and adjusted the tabs dozens of times and the fix was only temporary. I finally cut them off and soldered the wires. As mentioned that lasted 4 days.

I get the same issues with my explorers, but adjusting the connector tabs lasts about six months then it happens again. The Escape has been much tougher..

Last edited:
Next time add the di-electric grease Ford specifically requires for that in TSBs. Ford sells two types, make sure to get the right one it is:
Motorcraft Electrical Grease. Ford materials spec. WSB-M1C239-A. Part number is XG-12. 3 oz. tube is about 13 bucks. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back