Dodge Hellcat HP numbers released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I'm sure it will be Fast in a Straight Line. I'm curious how car will handle at those speeds on long winding roads and curves?

Hopefully they totally reworked the entire suspension to work with all that power and torque. Otherwise?

They said the same for the Camaro.

The Z28 demolished the 'vette at the Nurimberg...
eek.gif

I think that TIRES are going to be it's downfall, unless they throw Pilot Sport CUPS (or stickier!!) on it right from the factory.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I'm sure it will be Fast in a Straight Line. I'm curious how car will handle at those speeds on long winding roads and curves?

Hopefully they totally reworked the entire suspension to work with all that power and torque. Otherwise?

eek.gif

I think that TIRES are going to be it's downfall, unless they throw Pilot Sport CUPS (or stickier!!) on it right from the factory.
eek.gif

If Dodge has any sense, they'll permit that to be one of the few factory upgrades one can purchase for this car...

eek.gif

Obviously Syn has never been to a road course track day or seen any of my vids posted here.
I have passed some extremely big bucks cars at Homestead and other tracks, both the LX and the LC chassis are EXTREMELY competent handlers with some of the best transient behaviors ever experienced by me and other far more experienced drivers...

And projections show it just barely outruns a well-driven '70 Charger Daytona at top speed. Not bad.

This is a car that should include a racing school voucher as standard equipment.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
And projections show it just barely outruns a well-driven '70 Charger Daytona at top speed. Not bad.

This is a car that should include a racing school voucher as standard equipment.

And with far poorer aerodynamics, it's pure power!

Note that my car came with a free all day Skip Barber hosted SRT Track Experience (I think they still do). Valued at around 500 bucks, it was so much fun I could barely stand it! We drove the wheels off ALL the SRT vehicles all day long with real pro drivers in our cars...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Let's not gush too hard. That 426 (429 as driven) was not blown.

We can only imagine what an old 426 Hemi would do with a big blower on it. No replacement for displacement, as they say.

Still, these are over-the-top numbers for a street car in 2014. Not so sure it's all that manageable on the street, even with today's stickier tires.

The closest I ever came to this was a 429 Boss back in the day. And that was almost impossible to deal with on normal streets.

We can only imagine what an old 426 Hemi would do with a big blower on it. No replacement for displacement, as they say.

Still, these are over-the-top numbers for a street car in 2014. Not so sure it's all that manageable on the street, even with today's stickier tires.

The closest I ever came to this was a 429 Boss back in the day. And that was almost impossible to deal with on normal streets.

I imagine they will have all sorts tricks with the drive by wire and electronics to keep people from killing themselves the first time they hit the throttle... It might not ever be allowed to make full steam in the first couple gears anyways? Even my Focus has a sophisticated enough TC system to be hardly noticable when it first intrudes. I'm sure the SRT guys have the nannies all sorted out so the car still feels like a rocket but relatively easy to drive.

My car for 3 years was a genuine LS6 Chevelle, 3.70 gears, 4 speed. Not really that fast, but very powerful nonetheless.

Unfortunately, my 4 door luxury sedan of 2006 vintage would DEMOLISH the Chevelle at the strip. Nearly 3/4 of a second quicker despite a huge increase in curb weight! And my car can top 180 with nothing but a tuner.

My experience suggests to me that modern cars are much more powerful than anything ever sold in the "old daze" even without superchargers. And today's tires are not even imaginable back in the days of high compression big displacement monsters. I sure could have used some sticky Michelin Pilot Super Sports back in the day...

My experience suggests to me that modern cars are much more powerful than anything ever sold in the "old daze" even without superchargers. And today's tires are not even imaginable back in the days of high compression big displacement monsters. I sure could have used some sticky Michelin Pilot Super Sports back in the day...

I agree that the output density of modern engines has dramatically increased since the old muscle car days.

With just a couple easy bolt on mods, I squeeze 146 hp/l out of a stock build 8 year old five cylinder. With some slightly more invasive mods, I can push that to over 160 hp/l. There's a few hardcore owners who coax well over 200 hp/l out of my engine with more aggressive builds. There's no way an old 426 is going to output over 1,400 bhp without an extreme custom build and some serious forced induction. And my front end is a mountain lighter, so behaves much better on a competitive road course.

Obviously, there are strip cars, built primarily for 1/4 mile times. And then there are track cars, designed for more parameters (like transitioning through an S curve), but at the cost of some compromises. I suspect this monster Dodge leans towards the former purpose, which is still pretty cool.

These are insane bhp output numbers for a bone stock showroom vehicle not involving an exotic marque. Hopefully, in street mode, there is at least some traction control going on to nanny the knuckleheads who mistake a throttle for an off/on switch. Otherwise, I hope they're running wheel screws.

Obviously, there are strip cars, built primarily for 1/4 mile times. And then there are track cars, designed for more parameters (like transitioning through an S curve), but at the cost of some compromises. I suspect this monster Dodge leans towards the former purpose, which is still pretty cool.

These are insane bhp output numbers for a bone stock showroom vehicle not involving an exotic marque. Hopefully, in street mode, there is at least some traction control going on to nanny the knuckleheads who mistake a throttle for an off/on switch. Otherwise, I hope they're running wheel screws.

Chrysler is using the completely integrated stability control setup they got back when they started LX production. Straight out of the Benz bin, this system integrates everything, traction controls, yaw, ABS, transmission, you name it, it controls it. Since it is a suite rather than a series of band aids it is incredibly effective and can be tuned to become very 'transparent' rather than obtrusive.

Note that the Hellcat offers a low power key fob to restrict output. Just use that one for poor drivers?

And you should check out some road courses where LX's run. I have passed many a smaller, lighter, more powerful import at Homestead and Sebring, and my buddy Pat has passed race prepped Mustangs among others at Callaboogie in the frozen North. You might be very surprised at how the LX/LC chassis can handle the track with proper tires.

Then we take the Wife to publix in silent luxury...

Last edited:
The haters gotta hate LOL

It is kudos to Dodge and SRT to offer this and the other "lesser" varients at a competive price.

As you mention the LX cars are nice performance and luxury, not everyone wants a pony car "2" seater with no room in the back, poor visibility and no trunk!

Chrysler is using the completely integrated stability control setup they got back when they started LX production. Straight out of the Benz bin, this system integrates everything, traction controls, yaw, ABS, transmission, you name it, it controls it. Since it is a suite rather than a series of band aids it is incredibly effective and can be tuned to become very 'transparent' rather than obtrusive.

Note that the Hellcat offers a low power key fob to restrict output. Just use that one for poor drivers?

And you should check out some road courses where LX's run. I have passed many a smaller, lighter, more powerful import at Homestead and Sebring, and my buddy Pat has passed race prepped Mustangs among others at Callaboogie in the frozen North. You might be very surprised at how the LX/LC chassis can handle the track with proper tires.

Then we take the Wife to publix in silent luxury...

I was at a jeep dealer today. They had a Grand Cherokee SRT and it stickered at $75,000. If the Hellcat is less, are they losing money?

Originally Posted By: whip
I was at a jeep dealer today. They had a Grand Cherokee SRT and it stickered at $75,000. If the Hellcat is less, are they losing money?

Stealerships routinely gouge clients for SRT vehicles. Their production numbers are generally low. You can bet the Hellcat will be offered at substantially more than sticker price for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back