Pur 1 - 4,000 miles - hole in bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cut one apart myself to verify what I suspected in my previous post and was correct with my initial statement. It is a sealant between the 2 plates. So no need to worry about that part, but the hole however....

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
I just cut one apart myself to verify what I suspected in my previous post and was correct with my initial statement. It is a sealant between the 2 plates. So no need to worry about that part, but the hole however....

"The hole in the end near the lot number is where the mechanic put a hole to drain the filter."

TypicL P1 tear. Seems to always be at the same spot. Wonder if they have noticed a decrease in revenue and if Fram noticed an increase from these media issues..

Originally Posted By: Doog

"The hole in the end near the lot number is where the mechanic put a hole to drain the filter."

I thought it would be obvious I was referring to the filter media
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: thomasew
I did separate the base plate,...

Then that explains it and why I've never seen it in a personal dissection, never separated the two halfs or tried. Now come to think of it, remember a couple other here semi recently done that way, cut on the seam, but are the exception. And hard to tell without seeing the other half in pics. Thanks for the clarification and agree I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Imo, shouldn't be concerned about using SynPower, and 4k on that oil is nothing.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I thought it would be obvious I was referring to the filter media
eek.gif

It was obvious to most. Thanks for cutting open a filter to compare. I thought maybe it was glue or something like that, too.

No worries. I'm off work today and I was bored anyways... unfortunately it didn't kill much time ha ha
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
why a hole to drain the oil?

Venture a guess. Releases the vacuum created by the adbv, holding oil in filter and oil galleries, and allows it to drain before removing the filter making the process cleaner, less oil mess when filter is removed.

I've noted that when I puncture a hole in the dome of filter after removal the oil held by the adbv even with thead end down, then will flow out freely.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
TypicL P1 tear. Seems to always be at the same spot. Wonder if they have noticed a decrease in revenue and if Fram noticed an increase from these media issues..

No. A company as big as Purolator won't see any change in their bottom line, regardless of what is discussed here.

The number of people here that are unhappy with Purolator wouldn't even come close to even qualify as 'statistical noise' in their revenue figures.

I cut open a PL25288 and a QS3614 (a Puro Classic that is re-labelled for QS), and both were perfectly fine. Not a problem. Therefore, I'll keep using Purolator filters with these part numbers.

It's the typical tear seen on the wide spaced, wide V-spread pleat near the seam. This is a very repeatable failure.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
why a hole to drain the oil?

Venture a guess. Releases the vacuum created by the adbv, holding oil in filter and oil galleries, and allows it to drain before removing the filter making the process cleaner, less oil mess when filter is removed.

I've noted that when I puncture a hole in the dome of filter after removal the oil held by the adbv even with thead end down, then will flow out freely.

Exactly, I've used that trick forever with filters that are mounted vertically with base down. Works very well.

What you're seeing on the base plate isn't sludge. Purolator uses a two-piece base plate held together with adhesive.

Here are some pictures of an FL400S I cut open.
Sp28jsF.jpg

The adhesive looks exactly the same only a bit less messy.
wZdxv5G.jpg

This tear may have between caused by physical damage. If you look at the end cap right below the tear, the end cap is dented inwards. I'd say the tech jabbed too far in when making the drain hole. It's possible that it was already there, but I'm hugely skeptical on thurs sample, it's not a clean test.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
This tear may have between caused by physical damage. If you look at the end cap right below the tear, the end cap is dented inwards. I'd say the tech jabbed too far in when making the drain hole. It's possible that it was already there, but I'm hugely skeptical on thurs sample, it's not a clean test.

The punched drain hole is in the middle of the top dome. The tear in the pleat is at the side. Hole punched in the top has zero to do with this pleat tear IMO. Yes, there seems to be a "dent" in both end caps near the torn pleat, but IMO it's pure coincidence.

This is the exact same failure we've seen on dozens of reported torn filters.

I wonder if these tears are because the high "efficiency" media might be too restrictive, possibly causing too much pressure to build up on media & thus the seams.

Would be a good reason to use lower efficiency (higher flow) filters, like some OEMs apparently like to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back