wireless adapters for desktop computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bigger issue I personally had w/ softmodems was the need for drivers, vs the old ones that worked on the AT-commands alone. Kind of like the wireless card situation in linux now, you had to shop around and read reviews before buying.

But Moore's law, a few good vendors, and some reverse engineering overcame all that.

RIP Hayes, Turtle Beach and Ensoniq!

Originally Posted By: Subdued
D-Link vs Patriot isn't exactly a fair comparison

Without knowing what chipset is underneath, it is not even any comparison.

The reason that Patriot USB stick keeps crashing may be a driver issue, that after certain GB of traffic there's an overflow or race condition. You don't always see that when there're little traffic, and you bet the smaller companies' chipsets aren't tested to the same degree as the bigger ones like Broadcom, that build their chips and drivers over many many years and had most of the teething issues worked out by now.

BTW, my Airlink 101 card with Atheros chipset is wonderful, but my Airlink card with Ralink chipset will not hold a connection for more than 45 minutes.

Last edited:
I use an Alfa Awuso36nhr on my W7 Dell laptop and it outperforms the Dell internal wifi card by a factor of say, 100.

Especially when I use an aftermarket 9Dbi antenna on the Alfa.

I wish i got it sooner rather than dealing with the huge wait times for the Dell card to connect, and how often I had to reset it and wait again for reconnection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back