Now ALL E46 included in air bag recall.(ALL states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initially only E46 cars in high humidity states were included, now it includes ALL states.

Right now, pass. air bag only. Might widen to include driver's also.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/bmw-3-series-airbag-recall-official/

OFFICIAL BMW PRESS RELEASE:

Quote:
As a Precaution, BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in Model Year 2000-06 3 Series Vehicles.

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – July 16, 2014 – 7:00am EDT/4:00am PDT ... BMW announced today that it has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the company's intent to voluntarily recall all model year 2000 – 2006 BMW 3 Series vehicles, produced between May 1999 and August 2006, to replace the passenger-side front airbag as part of a worldwide recall. Potential problems with the airbag inflator which may rupture in vehicles produced by other manufacturers using similar systems from the same supplier have become evident in rare cases. BMW is not aware of a case involving a BMW vehicle. The replacement campaign is a voluntary precautionary measure that aims at minimizing the risk of faulty airbag activation. The number of potentially affected vehicles in the US is approximately 574,000.

This is a voluntary extension of the recall campaign announced in May 2013. At that time, the supplier stated a production period during which potentially faulty airbag inflators were installed in passenger-side front airbags. Following this, BMW recalled 42,000 3 Series vehicles in the US. The supplier has now extended the production period.

In order to ensure maximum safety of our customers, BMW has decided to replace the passenger-side front airbags in the vehicles from the suggested production period, and additionally as a voluntary precautionary measure, the passenger-side front airbags in all model year 2000 – 2006 BMW 3 Series vehicles equipped with this airbag module. The 42,000 units recalled in May 2013 are excluded from the current replacement campaign.

BMW will notify customers with potentially affected vehicles will be informed by mail. Customers with questions should contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417 or email [email protected].

As a precautionary measure, BMW is replacing the passenger airbags in models of the 3 Series pre-predecessor generation.

Munich. BMW is replacing the passenger airbags on 1.6 million 3 Series vehicles (pre-predecessor generation E46) produced between 05/1999 and 8/2006. Potential problems with gas generators that may rupture in vehicles produced by our competitors using similar systems from the same supplier have become evident in rare cases. BMW is not aware of a case involving a BMW vehicle. The replacement campaign is a voluntary precautionary measure that aims at minimising the risk of faulty airbag activation.

Formally speaking, it is a voluntary extension of last year's recall campaign. At that time, the supplier stated a production period during which potentially faulty gas generators were installed in passenger airbags. Following this, BMW recalled 240 000 3 Series vehicles (E46) of the pre-predecessor generation. The supplier has now extended the production period.

In order to ensure maximum safety of our customers, BMW has decided to replace the passenger airbags in the vehicles from the suggested production period, and additionally, as a voluntary precautionary measure, the passenger airbags in all BMW 3 Series models (E46) of the pre-predecessor generation equipped with this airbag module. The 240 000 E46 units already recalled worldwide last year are excluded from the current replacement campaign.

The customers affected will be informed by BMW. It goes without saying that the costs of the quality measure will be borne by BMW. The rectification of the problem will take about 1 hour.

Sorry - didn't see the other post for initial limited recall.

I did not get it yet - they're doing it slowly, as not to overwhelm dealerhips I guess.

If I don't get one in a few weeks, I will call and check.

A few years ago a friend of mine hit a pothole in his 2001 E46. It blew the bags...can't remember which ones. Car had no body damage, it just got jarred from a pothole. It ended up being totaled out. I wonder if it was related to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back