Fram Tough Guard or Purolator Pureone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
The Purolator issue is not a matter of Q.C. errors. It is a design flaw or a lack of production control process. The improper pleating has been around for at least 3 years, and that only happens if it was intentional, or if they were ignorant/oblivious to the why it is a problem. That is, how did such a glaring flaw go undetected for years, especially when they were informed years ago by end user complaints?

Three years ago. I think I was one of the very first to see these tears and post about it then.

Classic Media Tear - May 2011

Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
You did email Purolator, yes?

Yes, I think I said that in that thread. I emailed them and sent nice clear photos like the one in that thread. I never heard anything at all back from them with that particular indecent being reported to them back then. But now it seems that there has been a big rash of reported media tears, so this time around Purolator is probably perking up and really looking at what's going on. Back when I reported the media tear, they probably just shrugged it off as a very rare failure.

Heard fram orange was bad

Is the silver and gold frams just as bad or are they legit and pretty good, better than purolator? The puro classic beats the fram orange can of death hands down but what about the higher end frams?

^^^ The Fram Ultra is hard to beat in construction, performance and price. The Tough Guard is very efficient also. TG has the non-metal end caps (Ultra does have metal end caps), but many TG cut open photos show they look pretty good.

If you want the best bang for the buck, try an Ultra.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
I heard so many bad things about the orange fram
Much of what you heard is wrong. There is nothing inherently bad about the orange can, it's just over-priced for what you get.

Sounds good. Is it much better than the orange? I heard so many bad things about the orange fram

The orange can is Fram's lowest filter, the Ultra is their highest filter, and the Ultra is hard to bet in all aspects IMO.

Yes, the purolator classic is better than fram orange and is cheaper but is the fram ultra better than the puro synthetic or pureone or mobil 1?

Yes, the purolator classic is better than fram orange and is cheaper but is the fram ultra better than the puro synthetic or pureone or mobil 1?

IMO ... yes.

Why is it better? In what way? I know it's cheaper than m1 and puro synthetic and bosch distance plus but how is it better? I'm considering getting one even though I don't have a favorable impression of fram due to the lowly orange can and the horror stories I've heard, and I saw a guy use a fram orange can for target practice and he [censored] on the fram orange can and cursed at it.

Heard fram orange was bad

Is the silver and gold frams just as bad or are they legit and pretty good, better than purolator? The puro classic beats the fram orange can of death hands down but what about the higher end frams?

So you've "heard" frams are bad and you actually put stock in a YouTube video where some idiot shoots an orange can.
You can't be serious.

Here we go again, is hes better, why, well maybe, then maybe not,but then, how about this one, but that one might do this, I heard that the other one did something, but then I also saw one in Auto Zone looked better.

And on and on it goes. Life is so uncertain.

^^^ Because the Ultra has a higher ISO 4548-12 test efficiency and it has a higher holding capacity (ie, it can last up to 15K miles). Has full synthetic media, silicone ADBV and metal end caps. Go find some threads here where the Ultra is shown cut-open; the pleats stay nice and straight, and it's very well constructed IMO. I like it for many reasons, but of course that's just my viewpoint.

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Both have very high filtration, but the Fram is one of the more restrictive filters flow wise out there whereas the PureOne is one of the best. And the interior construction of the PureOne is much stouter as well, given that the PureOne usually costs a bit less also the contest is over in my mind.

Nothing "wrong" with the Toughgard I'd use one if it came from a special but it's not a great value if you're just going to go buy a filter. I've never had a "problem" with either but greatly prefer the PureOne.

what???? Fram has good FLOW... I think its 3 GPM... 3 gallons per Minute. if thats not good flow, then nothing is.

Fram TG 99% filtration efficiency

Fram Extra Gaurd 95% filtration efficiency

Fram Ultra 99%+ filtration efficiency ( Notice the ( + )

PureOne is 99.9% but as of late they have had problems.

Except the Fram posts efficiency stats at 20 microns while the PureOne is at 40 microns. I'd be interested in the PureOne stats at 10 and 20 microns like the Ultra was posted. Motorking says that the Ultra is 80% at 10 microns and 99%+ @20.

Quote:
...Except the Fram posts efficiency stats at 20 microns while the PureOne is at 40 microns. I'd be interested in the PureOne stats at 10 and 20 microns like the Ultra was posted. ....

The P1 is at 40um only for their four smallest filters. All others are @ 20um, including the OP's filter.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Except the Fram posts efficiency stats at 20 microns while the PureOne is at 40 microns. I'd be interested in the PureOne stats at 10 and 20 microns like the Ultra was posted. Motorking says that the Ultra is 80% at 10 microns and 99%+ @20.

As sayjac said above, there are only 4 know PureOnes that are rated @40u. The PureOnes rated 99.9% @ 20u will have basically the same efficiency performance vs particle size as the Ultra.

Any two filters that are basically the same efficiency at 20u will have a very similar efficiency vs particle size curve over all the entire particle size range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back