Pur 1 - 4,000 miles - hole in bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealer changed my oil, and I asked to get the filter back to open it up.
The hole in the end near the lot number is where the mechanic put a hole to drain the filter.
It looked good up to a certain point, then I discovered a tear in the media near the cap. The oil was Valv Syn Power. I didn't think 4k was a lot of miles, but having heard so much about the P1 I wanted to take it off and take a look inside. I didn't like what I found. Also, I cut the base plate in half and found some sort of thick gunky stuff around it. Didn't care for that either. This is a new truck practically. Not happy with the Syn Power or the P1.

IMG_0876_zpsacdfc5aa.jpg

IMG_0872_zps9a451452.jpg

IMG_0871_zps37b287b0.jpg

IMG_0870_zps55b62800.jpg

IMG_0878_zps6e3c222b.jpg

IMG_0883_zpsd8842cd3.jpg

IMG_0891_zpse440db56.jpg

IMG_0887_zps31ae647a.jpg

IMG_0886_zpse0ddf872.jpg

Yep, it's a tear. But in this case, I'd be more concerned about the cause heavy looking varnish on the tapping plate. Cut open many filters and never seen that. And considering 4k oci all the more concerning.

I doubt it's SynPower's fault at that oci. Have you looked down the fill hole?

Fairly consistent pattern failure with the Puro P1/Classic lines, but not so much with the narrow pleat spacing shown here. Looks a little sludgy...

The truck is a 2013 GMC Sierra, with 12,500 miles. I bought it brand new. It is a 4.8 motor. I've changed the oil about every 4k miles. I don't get this either.

All this talk about PureOnes makes me want to cut open the PureOne I just took off my Neon. That only had 2000ish miles on it but it was at it's year point. I did put a Fram Ultra on in it's place.

I don't have a filter cutter, but I will be at my dad's this weekend and he has a lathe, so I should be able to open it right up.

That tear in the media is quite bad, but occurs on P1's as reported here occasionally. The distortion of the pleats is not as bad as on the last P1 I ran on my Camaro. The sludge on the baseplate is not something I've seen before.

If you cut/separated the base plate, which it definitely looks that way as there is no threaded portion there, then that most likely is some kind of sealant and not sludge or varnish.

The varnished tapping plate shown is not glued to the end caps in any way. Considering that, again looks like heavy varnish (some might call sludge) to me.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Yep, it's a tear. But in this case, I'd be more concerned about the cause heavy looking varnish on the tapping plate. Cut open many filters and never seen that. And considering 4k oci all the more concerning.

I doubt it's SynPower's fault at that oci. Have you looked down the fill hole?

+1 first thing I noticed

Makes me wonder how hot that oil is getting.. I would definitely change something in my OCI routine. shorter oci, or different oil.

thanks for the pics OP

Whether it is there by design or mistake, the goo looks like sealant to me, rather than varnish. The way it is in some places and not others, looks like it was placed there, not that it precipitated in place. Just another good reason to use anything other than Purolator.

I did separate the base plate, not intentionally though. I was trying to cut it as low as possible with a hacksaw, and ended up separating the base plate. I didn't think you could do that, but, I did it.

No, the 4.8 does not turn cylinders on and off. That is why I got this engine, I didn't care for the AFM, or whatever that thing is, that turns cylinders on and off as you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back